• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 7, 2022
    Kosciusko county
    Im thinking about possibly buying an Ak in the near future but am wondering if it’s still worth it to buy a 762 one? The reason for asking is that Russian ammo will probably be extinct in the US soon but I still like the ascetic.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    Small Arms Solutions is a YouTube channel. He reviewed the Zastava M91 a few months ago. It is a 5.56 AK and the current service rifle of the Serbian army.

He really likes it. I just picked mine up and will do have a range day with it on Tuesday.

Chris mentioned that it is a good AK to buy because of the ammo bans

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Small Arms Solutions is a YouTube channel. He reviewed the Zastava M91 a few months ago. It is a 5.56 AK and the current service rifle of the Serbian army.

He really likes it. I just picked mine up and will do have a range day with it on Tuesday.

Chris mentioned that it is a good AK to buy because of the ammo bans

I think you mean the M90. The M91 is a Serbian DMR chambered in 7.62x54r. Serbian forces use the M21 in 5.56 as their standard service rifle, but still wield the M70 in 7.62x39 as a backup.

OP, as @snorko said, 7.62x39 ain't going anywhere. Several countries export it. Several countries still make it. More are tooling up or dusting off existing tooling to fill the void left by Russia - that includes the United States. And there are billions upon billions of rounds already in the U.S.

For anyone interested in their first AK, I generally suggest sticking with the OG standard chambering of 7.62x39. These things tend to be less picky than 5.56 AKs when it comes to parts, mags, and ammo variants. If you find you like the family of guns you can expand from there.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Also, it's worth noting to those unfamiliar with the AK platform, that Zastava offerings follow Yugo/Serbian AK patterns, so they are not plug & play with standard AKs. I can pull furniture off a Romanian WASR and slap it on a Russian, Hungarian, Polish, Egyptian, etc. AK, but Zastava guns use a lot of proprietary parts. Just FYI.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 7, 2022
    Kosciusko county
    I think you mean the M90. The M91 is a Serbian DMR chambered in 7.62x54r. Serbian forces use the M21 in 5.56 as their standard service rifle, but still wield the M70 in 7.62x39 as a backup.

OP, as @snorko said, 7.62x39 ain't going anywhere. Several countries export it. Several countries still make it. More are tooling up or dusting off existing tooling to fill the void left by Russia - that includes the United States. And there are billions upon billions of rounds already in the U.S.

For anyone interested in their first AK, I generally suggest sticking with the OG standard chambering of 7.62x39. These things tend to be less picky than 5.56 AKs when it comes to parts, mags, and ammo variants. If you find you like the family of guns you can expand from there.
    I definitely want a more traditional style ak like a WASR, Arsenal, etc and not a zastava.

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    With 7.62x39 guns (and 5.45x39 for that matter), there was/is a standard magazine pattern. Nearly every country made magazines that complied with them, thus they're compatible. With the 5.56 AK, there is no "Russian/Soviet" standard, and the mags generally don't work with guns from different countries. Some might, some might not.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Also, it's worth noting to those unfamiliar with the AK platform, that Zastava offerings follow Yugo/Serbian AK patterns, so they are not plug & play with standard AKs. I can pull furniture off a Romanian WASR and slap it on a Russian, Hungarian, Polish, Egyptian, etc. AK, but Zastava guns use a lot of proprietary parts. Just FYI.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    For anyone concerned about the 7.62x39 supply - keep in mind PSA is making their own facility to produce ammo that should be operational next year they said.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'd focus more on what you want from the cartridge rather than the supply. The supply will always be there for these cartridges, as companies like money.

I dislike the 7.62x39 and would much prefer 5.45, but given current options I'd be looking at 5.56.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I see no reason to buy an AK in anything other than 762x39. You can buy an AR if you want 556. Which, to be frank, is a better platform. The reason I bought an AK is for the caliber. IMO it's a better, more practical round for inside of 200 yards. 95% of what I shoot is inside 200 yards ; deer hunting legal, better on two legged targets too.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Maybe I am a purist but I think ARs should be 5.56 and AKs should be 7.62x39. #oldschool

It's definitely tough to beat an older high quality import in Mikhail's preferred caliber, but why not enjoy them all?

2VmmvaSh.jpeg

Personally I find 5.45 to be more fun to shoot and superior to 7.62 or 5.56. But they all have their distinct qualities and quirks. Options are good. The more the merrier I say.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    I had considered this OP. My conclusion is that 7.62 will keep being produced in other countries. And even when that slows down…. Surplus will be around for a long time. I think the good supply of 7.62 will outlive most of us.
    Buy both calibers! Can’t go wrong.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom