• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bottlefed

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Hamilton county
    What would be the closest round to it? I've got several swedish mausers and over 2000rds of 6.5x55 swede so looking at making a guide rifle. Any suggestions scopes ect

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    Other people more knowledgeable than i will help out a lot more... but I almost bought a new CZ in that caliber. One thing I think i remember reading was that the older guns could not handle the full potential of the caliber.
    Besides that when I was looking into this i asked around on here and people also pointed me to the 260 Remington. My only advice would be, if you like the caliber, get something newer so you could load it to its full potential.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I have my father's 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser. He bought it in 1955 and had it put into a custom Mannlicher stock. It's a carbine and I would not hesitate to shoot out to 300 yards with it. It's such a shame I can't hunt with it here. But I killed a buck with it in NC the year after my dad gave it to me for Christmas. He was in the woods with me. Cool moment.

Lots of commercial loads and reloading data available. I'd post a pic but it's so heavily protected it would take me about 15 minutes to get to it, lol!

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    What would be the closest round to it? I've got several swedish mausers and over 2000rds of 6.5x55 swede so looking at making a guide rifle. Any suggestions scopes ect

I dont understand what youre asking. Are you looking to build a gun in a different caliber or build one of those Mausers since you have all that ammo? I would shoot the hell out of your Swede ammo and not look back. That is the best caliber ever chambered in a Mauser and has been used in everything from hunting to competition in the past.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    It is ballistically close to the 260 Remington.

The 260 does a little better with low weight bullets because of its slightly higher operating pressures - The 6.5 Swede does a little better with the heavy bullets because of its higher case capacity.

It is suitable for hunting use on just about anything - It has taken moose, caribou, elk, brown bears, and polar bears on a regular basis in Scandinavian nations... but for the dangerous game I personally would want a second beside me with something larger bore.

Here in the USA you can use it on anything - but like I said, I would steer clear of the bears.

Last edited:

Bottlefed

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Hamilton county
    I have several and looking for something different. I hate paying for 308 so I pick up 6.5x55 when I can for the price I can't beat it. Plus its accuracy is wonderful. I was thinking coyotes, deer (I have deprivation permits) and packing gun for north trips. I also would only hunt bear with 300win mag or 45/70. I have noticed this though I am finding ammo cheap from people but never find it in stores.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Where are you finding all your ammo? And what do you consider cheap? Like others have said, the .260 Rem is very close and 6.5x55 is an excellent hunting round. Being a mauser action it should handle most loads. I have thought about putting a scope on mine, but can't stand the thought of drilling into it. Years ago, I was with some friends, we walked I bucket out 250 yards, then walked back 250 yards. I raised the rifle and shot once, knocket the bucket over, and had to make the walk again.:laugh: Great rifle.
    1103132025_0001_zpse444a618.jpg

1103132025a_zpse0d8e590.jpg

1103132026_0001_zps7247c5b9.jpg

Bottlefed

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Hamilton county
    There are several ways to put scope on it the one I'm doing is a smaller carbine and it will mount over the rear sight no drilling . But I'm getting ammo for .25 a round normally.

Bottlefed

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Hamilton county
    Been finding it anywhere from garage sales to on the classifieds here. I Also seem to find it in buddy's gun safes they sell there mausers and still have ammo. I really just look all the time.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I have seen almost every type since I've been buying even have some that came in wooden boxs. What's the going rate per round normally?
    About a buck a round, like everything else. If I could find it for $.25 a round, I would be buying it up too.

HUFFMANWG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    VA.
    I have a 96 Mauser in 6.5 Still all military. no problem with todays ammo. Steel plates out to 400 no problem. This has the 1 in 7 1/2 twist. Built one I would use I in 8 twist. Reloads a awlsome!!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You just have to look I've gotten several rounds of the classifieds here.

I guess you've been luckier than I have. Best I've found has been from Sportsman's Guide when they have free shipping, but even then it's 75 cents/round for PPU. Just had 100 more delivered today as a matter of fact. :) But, since it's reloadable and I now have the dies, I can justify some of that cost. Now I just have to find a good source of projectiles!

Top Bottom