• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadOfFour

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I started thinking more about this after reading the 5lb 'bob' thread.
    I've got kids, 4 of them (if you couldn't guess by my name lol) aged 5-12 and have always pretty much planned on carrying most of the supplies myself, leaving them to carry maybe some extra clothes and of course the "crucial creatures" (ie that teddy bear that my youngest just CAN'T sleep without!) But the reality of the situation is that my bob has gotten ugly, like ugly to the point that the damn thing is near impossible to carry. What do y'all do for bob's for the kids, I'd say weight wise they can range from about the 5lbs for the youngest up to maybe 10 or so for the oldest.

sbsg2005

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    My kids bags do not contain a whole lot. They got 3 days worth of food and some snacks, a flash light, the boys each carry half their pup tent, water, some cards and light travel games, and some plinking ammo for their 22's. Oh and a couple changes of clothes. My daughtes pack is the lightest and my 14 yearold sons has more but then again he is almost as big as me. With them I realy follow the KISS principal and don't put anything in their bags they they either don't need or can't use. As they age and develope skills and strength I add a little and take away little.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My kids are all in the mid 20's and up. I am 62. Guess who carry's the gear. I know, no real help to you but keep them involved. They will grow into it and be invaluable if things get ugly. Practice with them by camping out with just enough to make it 24 hrs. We did when the kids were young and they loved it. Especially the shooting part. Keep it real dad.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I've had issues deciding what to do about bobs for the kids too. Now my primary concern is how to get them moving all in the same direction and how to KEEP them moving that direction. Bugging out is strictly last resort and as much as I would rather bug out, bugging in is where it's at with shorties.

DadOfFour

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Unfortunately my plan involves bugging out, as we'd be joining another group of people at a pre arranged position.
    Here's another question, what do you guys do re: clothes? I mean, I've got extra boots, a few extra pairs of jeans etc for me, but with the kids growing like weeds constantly trying to put stuff back for them isn't really an option. My current "plan" involves "appropriating" necessary after TSHTF. Admitedly, not an ideal situation, but I don't have the financial resources to buy a bunch of clothes they never wear before they outgrow....

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Unfortunately my plan involves bugging out, as we'd be joining another group of people at a pre arranged position.
    Here's another question, what do you guys do re: clothes? I mean, I've got extra boots, a few extra pairs of jeans etc for me, but with the kids growing like weeds constantly trying to put stuff back for them isn't really an option. My current "plan" involves "appropriating" necessary after TSHTF. Admitedly, not an ideal situation, but I don't have the financial resources to buy a bunch of clothes they never wear before they outgrow....
    Clothes shouldn't be a problem. You should be checking your BOB at LEAST seasonally to ensure expiration dates are good, no one needed neosporin and raided your first aid, etc...When you do this, just toss a couple pair of play clothes in the bag. A BOB is really only supposed to be for 72hrs-a week, so changing clothes every day isn't going to happen and as long as there is a set of warm weather stuff, cold weather stuff and socks in addition to what they are wearing they should be good. I think you are confusing "bugging out" with "moving". When the SHTF, fashion won't matter and last summers jeans with a patch on them will be fine. Just my :twocents:. Also, when a "bug out" becomes more long term, you must learn to improvise and make due with what is avail.

moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN
    Small kids can carry the light, bulky items, like clothes and diapers, but they can't hike very far. You may find yourself carrying your gear, your child, and his gear. A good jogging stroller would be very handy if you have any kids who can't walk the necessary distance. Bicycles are another option that might work for your kids AND you.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    LOL, I just reminded myself of an exercise my 4yo and I did earlier this week...She likes to wrap bath towels around herself and pretend they are dresses. I saw the opportunity to practice my improv skills and we busted out the sewing machine and turned a bath towel into an actual dress. Pretty silly, but fun and educational for her, good practice, etc... It took 3 days to get her to take it off and now she understands that things don't have to come from a store or a factory. She also learned to think outside the box a bit and use what you have...

ETA, yes I am a man and yes I own a sewing machine and the ability to use it and no I am not ashamed of this.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    LOL, I just reminded myself of an exercise my 4yo and I did earlier this week...She likes to wrap bath towels around herself and pretend they are dresses. I saw the opportunity to practice my improv skills and we busted out the sewing machine and turned a bath towel into an actual dress. Pretty silly, but fun and educational for her, good practice, etc... It took 3 days to get her to take it off and now she understands that things don't have to come from a store or a factory. She also learned to think outside the box a bit and use what you have...

ETA, yes I am a man and yes I own a sewing machine and the ability to use it and no I am not ashamed of this.

Be not ashamed of these skills. I did the same thing with my 5 yr. old granddaughter but we used some tee shirts and an old robe. I had to eventually hide it from her. Too much fun. I could easily ruin a sewing maching

sbsg2005

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    For cloths I just grabbed a couple of their older outfits and tossed them in there. Every couple of months we go through all the cloths they have and see what fits and what does not so we know what needs replaced in their drawers and we just got in the habit of doing the same with the BOB's. When we pick up new outfits to replace the old, we rotate out the cloths in the bag with couple out fits that still fit but are a little worn out and not good for school anymore.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Shoes. Shoes are the hardest thing to produce. Ask anyone who lived through the depression. My mom grew up during the depression and the Nazi occupation and for the rest of her life she always kept a stocked pantry and too many shoes. You can cut and sew clothes to fit but shoes are hard.

If you stock up anything, it should be sturdy shoes.

DadOfFour

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I should have clarified, I didn't mean clothes in the BOB since those change seasonally, I meant in general. Part of my preps involves extra pants/boots etc, it's easy to put back stuff for myself because I'm not growing constantly lol, my kids however grow like weeds, so if I put a pair of boots back for them, they're not going to fit in 3 months.....

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI

I am not ashamed either. I think it's funny when we go to the fabrics and I'm the one like a kid in the candy store.

Top Bottom