• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -XL-

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    I've often read that the .50cal is the largest caliber "allowed by law". What law is this restricted under? How can they justify this?

Anyone actually shoot .50cal?

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I'm too tired to get the actual law right now, but yes 50 cal is the largest centerfire diameter bullet allowed without having to be registered as a destructive device. They justify it the same way as a SBR is more deadly than a regular rifle and a machine gun kills all children, puppies and rainbows...they just wanted to.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I've often read that the .50cal is the largest caliber "allowed by law". What law is this restricted under?

The National Firearms Act of 1934.

The definition of a "destructive device" is found in 26 U.S.C. § 5845(f). The definition reads (in part) as follows:

(2) Any weapon by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, the barrel or barrels of which have a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter, except a shotgun or shotgun shell which the Secretary finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes;

So any firearm with a bore diameter greater than .50 is automatically classified as a Destructive Device and regulated under the NFA, unless it is a shotgun that has been deemed "particularly suitable for sporting purposes." Does that mean such a firearm is "illegal"? Not if you properly register it with the Feds, and live in a state that does not prohibit such a weapon thus registered.

-XL-

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    So my 12Ga slugs are not destructive devices!

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Hard to believe that according to our super intellegent government, the .458 is not a destructive device. Neither are 12Ga slugs! (as long as you are on the correct end of the weapon!)

What about "shall not be infringed" do they not understand???

-XL-

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    I get into the "slippery slope" argument all the time with anit-annies on other boards. Why doesn't the second am. give individuals the right to own nukes!!!

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I get into the "slippery slope" argument all the time with anit-annies on other boards. Why doesn't the second am. give individuals the right to own nukes!!!

As far as I can see, it does. However, the development of things like Nukes is one reason why there's an amendment process. I would probably support a Constitutional Amendment to explicitly deny RKBN (Right to Keep and Bear Nukes) provided it were sufficiently tightly worded so that it doesn't ban such things as radium watch dials, tritium sights, or smoke detectors.

However, the gun grabbers would not do that since doing so would be an admission that they have to actually amend the Constitution to do what they want instead of "interpreting" the RKBA away.

If new circumstances require adapting the Constitution to fit, then do it right--through the Amendment process--not by this "living document" :bs:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

The 2nd Amendement was designed to give THE PEOPLE the ability to overthrow their governement by violent means if need be if it ever became a corrupt government NOT for THE PEOPLE.

With that in mind when our founding father's were creating the Bill of Rights they wanted to ensure that THE PEOPLE had arms in order to ensure that they could overthrow whatever government was in place. The arms in question was the common arms avaliable to THE PEOPLE.

In the time our our founding fathers that was muskets and pistols. Fast forward to our time and the common arms are???

Shotguns, Rifles (machine guns or full auto should be included here. That is another battle for the SUPREME COURT one day), and Handguns.

NUKES, as of right now, are not a common thing that THE PEOPLE can get. Yes how to make a NUKE is common knowledge if you know where to look. As the terroirst know how to make a nuke. The problem is the ingredients.

So since NUKEs are not something the common person can get it's not covered under the 2nd Amendement.

Now just becuase it's not covered does not mean jack. In war/rebellions there is only 1 rule: THERE ARE NO RULEs.
    :D

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    and the thread makes a sharp turn into the off topic.

.50 cal is for centerfire cartridge ammunition. Go muzzle loader and there is no limit. Go 1.0 caliber. or .72 double is also acceptable.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    evolevo
    Top Bottom