• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    Standard velocity .22 Long Rifle. You can even get a kit so that it will cycle in an ar15.

All jokes aside, subsonic 223 is exceedingly hard to accomplish, won't cycle any semi-auto, and is almost, if not completely, pointless.

I have no advice other than finding the heaviest .223 bullet you can, using a pistol powder in combination with a case filler, and being super careful to not let a secondary explosion effect ruin your gun, or you.

Seriously, if you want a subsonic 22 caliber firearm, get a .22 Long Rifle and some standard velocity or sub sonic ammo. Aguila makes a super heavy sub sonic 22lr with a 60gr bullet that some people like.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I’ve made some with 77s and TrailBoss for a suppressed bolt action 223. Definitely more energy in steel than any 22LR...lot more expensive in this age of scarce components, too.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I’ve made some with 77s and TrailBoss for a suppressed bolt action 223. Definitely more energy in steel than any 22LR...lot more expensive in this age of scarce components, too.
    A guy could probably load 90s backwards, at mag length, thereby:
    —taking up quite a bit of the wasted volume;
    —enabling stabilization of an extremely high SD bullet, as heavy-for-caliber as possible;
    —slowwww down muzzle velocity;
    —and increase impact violence by sending what amounts to a very small Keith nose down range.

I would imagine effective BC would still be decent, at SUBsonic speeds.

Whaddaya think avboiler?

maxipum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Bloomington
    I reload 308 subs with trail boss and I love the results. Definitely the wrong time to be hunting components. I appreciate all the responses keep them coming.

efd1295

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Northern IN
    All jokes aside, subsonic 223 is exceedingly hard to accomplish, won't cycle any semi-auto, and is almost, if not completely, pointless.

I think this sums it up pretty well. Bolt action? Suppressed? There are some better caliber choices for shooting subs, so elaborating on the inteneded purpose might help with a solution.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    A guy could probably load 90s backwards, at mag length, thereby:
    —taking up quite a bit of the wasted volume;
    —enabling stabilization of an extremely high SD bullet, as heavy-for-caliber as possible;
    —slowwww down muzzle velocity;
    —and increase impact violence by sending what amounts to a very small Keith nose down range.

I would imagine effective BC would still be decent, at SUBsonic speeds.

Whaddaya think avboiler?

Sounds...expensive if you’re trying Bergers or 95 SMKs! 88 ELD might be an interesting test case though.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    Casting your own heavy 22 cal bullets might be a good but cheaper option for subsonic use, especially if you're not using a semi-auto.

But that's a whole new hobby/addiction/expense, and lead is not as cheap as it used to be.

Also, you'd want a supressor you can disassemble for cleaning the lead out. I would think a good supressor rated for 22LR would work just fine for 223 subs. Not much difference between the two.

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Standard velocity .22 Long Rifle. You can even get a kit so that it will cycle in an ar15.

I have no advice other than finding the heaviest .223 bullet you can, using a pistol powder in combination with a case filler, and being super careful to not let a secondary explosion effect ruin your gun, or you.

Seriously, if you want a subsonic 22 caliber firearm, get a .22 Long Rifle and some standard velocity or sub sonic ammo. Aguila makes a super heavy sub sonic 22lr with a 60gr bullet that some people like.
    THIS

Top Bottom