• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    It's my understanding that the military uses the green tip ammo. I just discovered the TAP ammo from Hornady. I have a 1:7 twist barrell so the 75 grain should not be an issue. What is better the green tip or TAP or does it depend of application?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    ... or does it depend of application?

EXACTLY

The TAP is a lightly designed bullet that is actually similar in construction to a varmint type bullet. It is designed to expand inside the bad guy. The green tip is the politically correct "Geneva Convention" approved military fodder that complies with international military laws for use on your opponent, it also will penetrate windshields and walls better than expansion type bullets like the very effective personal defense bullets.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    Ok. I was about to place an order for an ammo case of green tips for the purpose of protection and to keep for a SHTF situation. I'm try to figure if I would be better off spending my money on a different type of ammo other than green tips.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Ok. I was about to place an order for an ammo case of green tips for the purpose of protection and to keep for a SHTF situation. I'm try to figure if I would be better off spending my money on a different type of ammo other than green tips.

For personal or home protection the last bullet I would want would be something like a green tip. Home and property, then the TAP would be ideal. A potentially lower cost option is any other heavy varmint style bullet (the TAP is very similar to a quality varmint bullet).

If I was in the military and had to stop cars trying to break through my roadblocks, etc then a green tip might be more useful but at that point I'd prefer a 308 flying out of an M14/M1A1.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    For personal or home protection the last bullet I would want would be something like a green tip. Home and property, then the TAP would be ideal. A potentially lower cost option is any other heavy varmint style bullet (the TAP is very similar to a quality varmint bullet).

If I was in the military and had to stop cars trying to break through my roadblocks, etc then a green tip might be more useful but at that point I'd prefer a 308 flying out of an M14/M1A1.

Great information. My AR is not my primary form of home / personal denfense. However I don't know if green tips are ideal if I need to stop someone. I do have 100 rounds of green tips. What are some other lower cost rounds with higher than 55 grain that you know of?

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The 62 grain green tip steel core penetrator ammo is designed to not break up or deform, like standard ammo IE: Hornady Tap. Not a bad idea to have some handy in case you have to shoot through barriers. If you look for ammo that's hevaier then 55 grain. Most of it is going to be match or hunting ammo. Not saying it will not get the job done, just something to think about. Standard 5.56/.223 is going to be 55 grain FMJ.

Top Bottom