• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Details please. How difficult is it to set up some kind of remote web cam. And how expensive?

I use the KISS method.
    Every system I have has an inexpensive webcam attached, directed out a window, looking at critical areas. Security software watches for frame changes and records video when they do. I have the software set to beep while recording, so I know when someone pulls in the driveway or approaches a door. I have my systems networked and use Remote Desktop to view the various screens and hear the beeping.
    This system combined with the motion lights covers the bases.

You can go much more expensive and elaborate. I plan to upgrade down the road with wireless IR cams and a dedicated (hidden) single system.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    And a 1911 feels REALLY good in the hand when the heart is pumping.

(Before I get jumped over using a EBR for home defense, I plan to use what will do the job of family protection best, even if it is ugly. Ugly might even help.)

Totally agree with the 1911 statement. :rockwoot: I have a railed PT1911 next to my side of the bed (along with an 870 stoked with slugs). Bigcraig just about has me convinced to swap out the 870 for an AR though. :wavey:

If the FBI is to be believed, an EBR is probably safer to use for home defense in most situations than 'normal' handguns. I've read several reports (but can't remember where) that 5.56 tends to frag and dissipate in walls, where a .40 will keep going.

There's always exceptions, but I think in terms of ballistics, the feebs know their business.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Any idea what the knocking on the door was? Neighborhood kids?

No idea, and the neighbors don't know either. Frankly, we live in a great neighborhood but for the one rental across the street which has some "not so good" people in it.

My main concern was that it was someone who was at the wrong door. Be it the entry team that will some day remove the people across the street, or lost friends of the people across the street (either ones with police records or ones who will soon), I really did not know.

The first camera went up the next day and more will follow. Motion lights are next.

Our neighborhood has banded together and is working with the BPD to remove the renters, but the process is slow (they have superb free legal aid that my tax $ pay for) and until then you just never know why someone's at the door at 5:00am. But that is what training and preparedness is for.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    No idea, and the neighbors don't know either. Frankly, we live in a great neighborhood but for the one rental across the street which has some "not so good" people in it.

We had a group like that down the street from us. We're in a friendly neighborhood, but these people wouldn't wave to anyone, let alone stand on the sidewalk and chat. They moved out on New Year's Eve. And when I say "eve", I mean they were there at 11:00pm and by 4:00am they were gone. Never saw a moving truck. We still don't know what their story was, but we were glad to see them go.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I hear weird noises outside occasionally, but I usually only invesitgate if I hear something impact the house ... roof, door, windor, etc. I've never found anyone, but maybe they ran away when they saw me coming with my AR. With both lights blazing. Naked.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    I hear weird noises outside occasionally, but I usually only invesitgate if I hear something impact the house ... roof, door, windor, etc. I've never found anyone, but maybe they ran away when they saw me coming with my AR. With both lights blazing. Naked.

Scares me just reading about it!:lmfao:

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    OK, that really bad thing is, I too sleep in the buff. Anyone tries entering the house at oh-dark-hundred is gonna meet a tall skinny nekkid guy with an 870 in his hands.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    OK, that really bad thing is, I too sleep in the buff. Anyone tries entering the house at oh-dark-hundred is gonna meet a tall skinny nekkid guy with an 870 in his hands.
    I've thought about what would happen if an incident occurs whilst sleeping in the buff. I think sleeping in boxers is a fair compromise.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart

You sure that's not really a mouse gun in your hands? :lmfao:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH! If you have Camera's that are WIRELESS and record MOVEMENT or even 24/7 Cams, GET RID OF THEM. Wireless cams are GREAT in the country, but in town, people can STEAL YOUR FEED!!

Imagine this: you have camera's IN YOUR HOME in case someone breaks in... a theif with a laptop and wireless reciever(OR YOUR NEIGHBORS) can pick up the feed. They can see what your camera sees. Even a decent cracker can break into your network and see your stored videos. I say Cracker because there is a BIG difference between hacker and cracker.

Anyway, wireless cameras are very convienent especially in Rural areas. But in the suburbs or in the city/town they are very dangerous. CCTV cameras are your only secure choice. I had a friend show me how to steal someone's feed and it's as easy as setting up your own reciever and tuning it to the proper channel. You can even use a PDA with any wireless reciever or a wireless network finder to find a wireless network.

So if you live in town or a neighborhood PLEASE don't use wireless cameras! I used to set up survailence equipement for friends, family and small buisnesses. Just so you don't think this info is poorly informed info. This is for you and your family's safety.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Ok, fessing up here, I was "in the buff" when the event occurred. I can promise you standing nude with a cocked and locked 1911 in your hand might feel silly except for all that adrenaline pumping. I will say that once I was armed and had a good flashlight, task #2 was getting on pants. I leave a pair with a solid belt and knife in a convenient place at night (read "in the middle of the floor where my wife has finally stopped complaining and just given up on that part of our marriage") and so that took no time at all.

The image of any of us naked and armed might seem goofy, but it did not feel that way at the time, really. I figure I only look stupid if I am naked and having to do a rapid reload, otherwise I am all good.

As for wireless cameras, I worried about the same thing and went with a wired one. I will likely have all the others wired as well.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Also remember if you have them hooked up to a computer network to make sure your router has a firewall and any computer that has a cam hooked to it has at least two firewalls for real security. And that's not including the Windows crappy firewall although having it running doesn't hurt.

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    I was walking to the house from the barn last night around 3 am and heard people talking(I live 3/4mile from anyone else), so I basically drew the g17 and followed the sound, turned out to be a guy with a flat tire on the phone at the edge of our yard. Still, it was kind of spooky. We need more lights here.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    For the record, I wear jammies when I sleep.

I GET naked at the first sign of trouble, just like on "Jerry Springer." THEN I grab my AR.

Top Bottom