• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ewhitehouse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Corydon, IN
    :dunno:I have searched and searched in all my reloading books, internet, and other shooters for some load data for the 460 s&w. I can find a few loads in my hornady book that show pistol only. I was wanting something more updated with the rifle listed as a .460. Does anyone know where I can find this or can anyone point me in the right direction for some hand loads? Thank you very much.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Lyman's 49th lists charges for 5 different weights of jacketed bullets from the 460S&W, out of a 15" Encore barrel. Add 100-200 fps for your full-length barrel...the loads are going to be the same, either way.

ewhitehouse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Corydon, IN
    I'm wanting something that someone has loaded and shot through the 20" Encore barrel. I want to know their results as far as hard evidence on what works best for them. I could load 5 shells from each set of load data but as of right now, in nursing school, I have not the time nor the money. I just want to know a load that people have used and have had good results with.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Actually, in the .460, the velocity gain isn't as pronounced. Additionally, what works for some may not work for you. If you have a factory load that works well, buy that bullet and load for the listed velocity and start there.

Not a lot of .460 people around here - much more interest in the .35 caliber wildcats.

ewhitehouse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Corydon, IN
    Yeah I agree what works for them wont always be for me but I just wanted somewhere to start. I'm also not about to buy the 65$ box of Barnes ammo hehe. I'm glad I at least have the velocity gain issue sorted out. If velocity gain is not pronounced then I can just use the pistol data. Thank you for setting me straight on that.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have a 44 mag with 16 inch barrel. I also have a 44 mag with 20 inch barrel. FPS were around 100 more with the 4 extra inches. At least in 44 mag the velocity was not majorly different. With lil gun it was a little more pronounced than h110 must burn a little slower.

Now of course you can shoot any of the 454 loads and 45 colt in that also but the big thing is the case size is 1.80 currently perfect for Indiana deer.

Look at this below
    .460 S&W Mag.

I am sure you have seen that. I mean 240 grain XTP with h110 is going to get you a nice little load traveling fast also. Mostly the round sells in handguns. At one time there was a great reloading book for T/C pistols and rifles but I doubt it has 460 S&W loads unless it has been updated.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I'm wanting something that someone has loaded and shot through the 20" Encore barrel. I want to know their results as far as hard evidence on what works best for them. I could load 5 shells from each set of load data but as of right now, in nursing school, I have not the time nor the money. I just want to know a load that people have used and have had good results with.

I've got 2 buddies with 460S&W barrels, one a Katahdin for their Encore, the other a Ruger #1. They both get very good results from the LE factory load. In fact, even though they are both seriously handloaders, my buddy, Vern, down in Texas, is so happy with the factory load, he doesn't even mess with reloading for this round.

My other buddy is in Seymour and I've shot his gun several times. His load is tailored to his gun, as all handloads should be. I would not recommend you shoot his load from your gun. I would gladly tell you what bullet, powder, primer and case he's using, but then advise you to work up from a starting charge. Even if you had the exact recipe, it does not mean it would work great in your gun.

If you're on a budget and can't fork out the cash to do a proper load workup this fall, that's fine...buy a box or two of the LE loads and sight in. Save your brass and work up your own load, using whatever powder/bullet you want, next year. Heck, you may find those factory loads are so great, you choose that bullet for your hand loads. :)

ewhitehouse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Corydon, IN
    I plan on using factory ammo for this deer season but will try to hit it hot and heavy on the reloading for next season. I agree that not just using a load someone else is using is a good idea, im just looking for a good ballpark to stay in. Once I find something close to what is a good load for deer I will then tweek it to meet my guns needs. Thank you all for the advice.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Winter is a great time for load development...less time in-between shooting for the barrel to cool. :)

When you do get ready, let me know and I'll dig up some information on the powders my buddy has tried in his. I know he tested quite a bit of stuff before finding the load his gun really likes.

Top Bottom