• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    ok... the socom can sling rounds from 200 grain to 700 grain which is quite the spread... as many of you know i am building a bolt action 458 and am to the point where i am thinking about twists... here is my question..

what is the best weight bullet for hunting in this caliber?
    What have YOU had success with?
    what do YOU shoot and to what level of accuracy?
    how many reloads are you getting out of your brass?
    what approximate velocity are YOU getting with YOUR bullet.

i realize not many on here have much experience with this caliber but please if you dont have any helpful input please refrain from posting... when i am farther along with this build i will put up a post for everyone to see:banana:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    No need to go all the way up to a 200 grain bullet. These are only 100 grains!!!

This one, for the 458 Socom, looks like it could be a whole load of fun at the end of summer when the watermelons in the garden are plentiful and a few of them get over-ripe. Its only 100 grains and is made of lathe turned aluminum. Now in 458 Socom loads, 200 grains is considered a lightweight bullet, so 100 grains would be like shooting a lightweight 9mm round out of a big bore rifle with a whole freightcar load of powder behind it.

"458 CQB"

The bullet is being released for orders on 1/9/09, but stock will not be available until mid-January 2009. The intent of the 458-200 was to create a fast fracturing bullet for personal defense and CQB applications to maximize terminal effect while minimizing potential secondary penetration. Well, it almost works! The terminal performance is simply unbelievable. At 3,000fps the bullet is a water-jug-vaporizing son of a gun. The problem lies in the amount of flash generated from the fast powders used to achieve the velocity. I use 40.0gr of Alliant 2400 in a 45-70 lever gun to achieve slightly over 3,000fps which results in a muzzle flash over ten feet long. You just can not believe how fast they cover 100 yards and they have shown to be very accurate in the several guns they have been tested in. There is virtually no recoil and the above load is just a riot to shoot. The bullet is made from aluminum and to eliminate the potential for aluminum oxide formation, the bullets are coated with a dry film lube immediately after they are cleaned. Weight - 100 grains BC (actual) - I still need to measure this; however, I can state it still has a lot of steam left at 100 yards. Length - 1.100 Design velocity - 2,000-?????!!!!! Material - 7075-T6 aluminum Sold in a packages of 50 at $50/box. Shipping via USPS Priorty Mail to the lower 48 states is included in the price.
    Price: $50.00
    458-300.jpg

Top Bottom