• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I carry different stuff based on the perceived needs of the environment that I'm going to be in. My preferred carry gun is my 6+1 shot P245 in .45 ACP with an 8rd reload. I like the way that gun shoots and I'm very accurate with it. In certain circumstances, though, I feel the need for more capacity so it gets swapped out for a Beretta 92X Compact for 15+1 9mm. Going the opposite direction, if I'm needing something small and light and going to be in a very low-threat environment, a scandium 5 shot .38+p J-Frame is the weapon of choice.

I don't think there's any magic to any pistol caliber (internet memes about the 10mm notwithstanding :laugh: )...at the end of the day it comes down to shot placement. If you hit vitals, you can get a pretty quick stop. If you don't, you're stuck hoping they have a psychological response or lose enough blood to pass out before they kill you back. I've seen both. Pick a gun you can shoot well that's appropriate for your environment and the threat that you are most likely to encounter.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I used to subscribe to the great caliber debate. I also bought new guns all the time trying to find that magic combination. I have settled down in my old age and have gone back to the guns that started my EDC "career" so to speak. For several years I carried a Glock 21 in the winter and then switched to a Glock 23 or 27 for summer. Now I carry some sort of Glock 9mm everyday. Say what you will about Glocks. I simply have more trigger time with them and that's what I shoot the best. I don't care what gun a person carries. Carry what you shoot the best.
    And, Uncle Joey says they will blow the lungs out of a person, so that's good enough for me. I also just have a double barrel shotgun for HD now, and a detailed cheat sheet for my daily activities. :rockwoot:

Last edited:

robgott1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2022
    indianapolis
    I have been carrying a M&P .45 Shield for quite a while and felt quite comfortable with it. I recently purchased the same gun in 9mm from a member here (thanks Spencir) and find that I am very impressed with the feel of it. So much so that I am seriously considering making it my EDC and retiring my .45 to a HD pistol (along with my Maverick 12 ga that sleeps next to the bed) that will live in an end table next to my recliner.

My question is, would I be under gunned by going from 7 rds of .45 to 8 rds of 9mm? Have a ton of confidence in my .45, but not so sure about the 9mm. Could be due to the fact that I heard to many horror stories about the poor performance of that round back in the 80's and 90's (yes, I am that old).

Any and all comments or observations will be appreciated.
    My personal preference is 9mm due to the quantity of ammo you can hold. 45 and 9mm are relative whereas 45 and 223 are worlds apart in terms of ballistics.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The challenge is less about killing someone. The real challenge is in quickly stopping them from doing whatever warranted shooting them in the first place. A .22lr can kill them but it can afford them the luxury of killing you while they die.

Speed to stop is the real goal. Gel tests are decent at predicting performance in a consistent medium but don't really say much about how a bullet performs in crunchy stuff, like a human body.

I like bullets with the energy to be less phased by the crunchy bits

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I have been carrying a M&P .45 Shield for quite a while and felt quite comfortable with it. I recently purchased the same gun in 9mm from a member here (thanks Spencir) and find that I am very impressed with the feel of it. So much so that I am seriously considering making it my EDC and retiring my .45 to a HD pistol (along with my Maverick 12 ga that sleeps next to the bed) that will live in an end table next to my recliner.

My question is, would I be under gunned by going from 7 rds of .45 to 8 rds of 9mm? Have a ton of confidence in my .45, but not so sure about the 9mm. Could be due to the fact that I heard to many horror stories about the poor performance of that round back in the 80's and 90's (yes, I am that old).

Any and all comments or observations will be appreciated.
    Both rounds have put a lot of people on the wrong side of the dirt. Both rounds get the job done, just in a little different way...neither of them are the wrong choice. JMHO

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Each to their own.
    I've been carrying just shy of 40 years and never carried a 9mm until I bought a 9mm Shield as a pocket pistol about 5 years ago or so.
    I now use a Sig P365 with 12 round magazine as a pocket pistol.

For regular carrying I like Underwood 10mm and .357 Sig most.

Top Bottom