• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daclamdvm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    There is no good deal on plinker ammo. This is the ammo AND reloading forum. Get yourself a Lee turret press and powder measure with dies, some lead bullets, a low volume powder like Bullseye, AA#2, Clays, etc. and you'll be shooting at about a third of the price of any factory ammo.

Stoop

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Walmart sells the value 100rd pack for $32

I picked up a box of that Winchester white box today, and 100 of 9mm too.

Has the reputation of being dirty but other than that I don't think you can really beat Winchester white box for value and consistent quality.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I picked up a box of that Winchester white box today, and 100 of 9mm too.

Has the reputation of being dirty but other than that I don't think you can really beat Winchester white box for value and consistent quality.

I found 3 of the winchester whit boxes (5 rounders) and picked them up. Yeah dirty but for the cost I can't complain.....

How much on average does in cost to reload .45 ammo with new brass? I am trying to decide if the time invested in reloading is worth it if you are buiying in bulk...... say $317 or so for 1000 rounds

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    How much on average does in cost to reload .45 ammo with new brass?

Why new brass? You can often pick up once-fired brass at a range, or you can buy used brass from a variety of sources for almost 1/3 the price of new brass.

Brass is free for me because I pick up bucketloads of range brass. My 45ACP loads with cast lead bullets range from $5.05 to $5.95 per box of 50, last time I calculated. Jacketed loads are around $7.50 per box.

I would be happy to post a cost breakdown if that helps.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    Looks like I already had the costs saved in Excel. Here is a screenshot of 45ACP costs for three different loads.

All components were purchased in bulk from Grafs.com or Powdervalleyinc.com

Shipping/hazmat is included in the listed component costs, but is divided across orders of between $300 and $500 of components, so the shipping per item is fairly low.

4397036508_ed8f2624b5_o.jpg

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Looks like I already had the costs saved in Excel. Here is a screenshot of 45ACP costs for three different loads.

All components were purchased in bulk from Grafs.com or Powdervalleyinc.com

Shipping/hazmat is included in the listed component costs, but is divided across orders of between $300 and $500 of components, so the shipping per item is fairly low.

4397036508_ed8f2624b5_o.jpg

For some reason work has blocked your screen shot, I will check it out when I am not at work, thanks man.

Why new brass? You can often pick up once-fired brass at a range, or you can buy used brass from a variety of sources for almost 1/3 the price of new brass.

Brass is free for me because I pick up bucketloads of range brass. My 45ACP loads with cast lead bullets range from $5.05 to $5.95 per box of 50, last time I calculated. Jacketed loads are around $7.50 per box.

I would be happy to post a cost breakdown if that helps.

I have heard that you only want to use brass twice??? Is this not true? If that is not true then I would love to buy once fired haha.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    I have heard that you only want to use brass twice??? Is this not true?

Not at all true. For normal range loads, you can run the brass until it splits at the neck. You should use fairly new cases if you're brewing up some really hot loads (loads above what typically appear in reloading manuals).

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Not at all true. For normal range loads, you can run the brass until it splits at the neck. You should use fairly new cases if you're brewing up some really hot loads (loads above what typically appear in reloading manuals).

The range rounds will just be normal load's for personal protection I would just get foctory stuff unless someone else talks me out of it.

When the case spit's does cause any damage to the gun? I can't see how but better safe then sorry to ask. Problems with ejecting the round?

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    No, won't hurt the gun. It sometimes makes revolver cases a little harder to extract.

Case-head separation is a more catastrophic case failure that you generally see with high pressure loads and old brass. I've never had one, but I've seen it happen once. Blew the extractor right out of the the gun (a Kimber 1911). The gun was otherwise fine though.

l c gun guy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    You need a friend that reloads I spend bout 5 bucks per box of my hand loads. Butt walmart probibly be your best bet.

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Walmart sells the value 100rd pack for $32

Thats what pay. I find it hard to justify more then .32 censts a round for practice ammo. Thats basically the cost of the new brass, FMJ bullet, primer, and powder. If anyone know of anything cheaper (not reloading) I would like to know!

-cb

Top Bottom