• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbatten

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    Somewhere in Shelby Co.
    I'm getting setup to start reloading and I have separated my .45 acp brass. I have Winchester white box and Federal champion brass. When I was inspecting both types I noticed that the flash holes on the WWB are smaller than the Federal. My question is, do I need different primers? Wouldn't the WWB's smaller hole need a more powerful flash from the primer than the Federal or does it not matter?

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I've noticed this and can honestly say it does not matter. As long as all your .45 brass has a large primer hole your good to go. That is unless you want the .45 brass with the small primer hole then you just use the small primers. Large primer is the main standard though.

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    I found some .45ACP brass with small primers also once. I called winchester and they said to just load them with small pistol primers in your normal load and it'll be OK. I haven't done it yet. I just put them to the side. Because I have plenty of regular large primer .45 ACP brass to load.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The only flash holes that ever worried me are the Winchester "NT" rounds. The flash hole is huge and the factory primer is crimped in. I figure they had to have a huge flash hole to make up for the weak NON TOXIC primer, and the large hole makes too much flashback for an uncrimped primer. I throw them away.

Other variances in flash holes never seem to make a difference. If the decapping pin in the sizer die will go through it, it is good enough.

Top Bottom