• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    A friend of mine has been wearing some Home Depot 3M wrap around safety glasses for shooting recently. I went to get some and the specs on the versions available looked like they said they were not for gringing or flying objects. Any have any experienc ewith these?
    Is this some that all shooting glasses say as well?

I guess what I am asking is are the safety glassses I would wear using a Dewalt protect me the same while using a Glock?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I dont know right off the bat, but if you compare the ANSI specs that shooting glasses conform to, your run of the mill safety glasses should conform to the same specs.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I am pretty sure that Ansi Z87 is the standard that you want to look for.

^^^THIS^^^^^^^^

"There are three impact standards popularly applied in the United States: ANSI, OSHA, and MIL-PRF-31013 (Military SPEC). We recommend ANSI Z87.1 at a minimum. Eyewear rated as Z87.1+ plus (high impact) is better. And eyewear that satisfies both ANSI Z87.1+ AND the military test is probably your best choice of all." - via AccurateShooter.com

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Thanks! I just checked some "shooting" glasses I have and thet are Z87 and Z94. It has both numbers on the arm ( what does that mean?). These are too dark for indoor. I am sure the Home Depot ones are going to be similar. Check ing ot out tomorrow. Hope the gerber sale is still on.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Thanks! I just checked some "shooting" glasses I have and thet are Z87 and Z94. It has both numbers on the arm ( what does that mean?). These are too dark for indoor. I am sure the Home Depot ones are going to be similar. Check ing ot out tomorrow. Hope the gerber sale is still on.

Z94 is the Canadian standard.The Z87 is the American standard.

Canada – CSA Z94.3-2002 In Canada, the pertinent standard is Z94.3-2002 developed by the Canadian Standards Association (CSA). Impact performance is assessed with the ¼ inch steel ball traveling at 46.5 m/sec or 152 ft/sec. Impact points that must be evaluated include the midpoint of the protector, as well as multiple frontal and lateral locations, some of which duplicate those assessed for ANSI Z87.1-2010.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    So is the Canadian standard higher than the US standard or do the numbers mean different things in each country?

I don't think the number has anything to do with how high the protection is.
    You also have many different standards for military eyewear in Europe.The number just tells you it passed a particular test in that country.
    Because a standard is called XYZ100 in one country doesn't mean it's tougher than one called XYZ50 in another one.

Top Bottom