• ...and so much more!
  • 4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Ender 5 on sale at Amazon, $340.
    Have purchased two ender 5 from this Fleabay source which is currently asking $289. Happy with this seller. First mods I've performed to the 5 is X axis linear rail conversion and direct drive extruder conversion. Been using this model with good results since 2019, used printrbots for 5 years prior.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153499158165

Also have several resin printers on site. But it's like I hit a wall with desire this summer and have rarely used them, maybe it's cause the garage has been too hot?

Altrex

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 10, 2021
    Have purchased two ender 5 from this Fleabay source which is currently asking $289. Happy with this seller. First mods I've performed to the 5 is X axis linear rail conversion and direct drive extruder conversion. Been using this model with good results since 2019, used printrbots for 5 years prior.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153499158165

Also have several resin printers on site. But it's like I hit a wall with desire this summer and have rarely used them, maybe it's cause the garage has been too hot?
    I know the feeling. I do most of my printing and projects in the winter LOL.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Is it possible to 3d print a 22 short completely. Including a barrel, frame etc that can handle the pressure?
    Yes, been doing so for about 7-8 years now. Original Liberator pistol was .380acp.

However, there are categories of "3-D printed" guns: 1) Frame only (e.g. AR-15s), 2) Fully printed (Liberator, songbird, original Grizzly), 3) Mixed (vast majority of 3-D guns).

The G22, which I am enamored with, has a steel barrel liner:

Altrex

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 10, 2021
    Is it possible to 3d print a 22 short completely. Including a barrel, frame etc that can handle the pressure?
    Absolutely, but you may need to look into the requirements for rifling versus smoothbore. In theory, you could design it into the print, but it will not last I am sure. A lot of designs use a metal barrel liner section which further increases the pressure capabilities.

Altrex

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 10, 2021
    Yes, been doing so for about 7-8 years now. Original Liberator pistol was .380acp.

However, there are categories of "3-D printed" guns: 1) Frame only (e.g. AR-15s), 2) Fully printed (Liberator, songbird, original Grizzly), 3) Mixed (vast majority of 3-D guns).

I keep meaning to make a Songbird!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

How about a 410ga shotgun?

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I still do not get it with this whole 3d firearms stuff. The ATF and the anti-2A brigade is after the 2A enough without all the hype about creating weapons that are not traceable or being manufactured outside of regulation of some sort. It only brings more anti 2A people and organizations out of the woodwork and they start arguing again all firearms. Look at Australia and Canada and pray that the commie left politicians in the USA do not succeed in totally trashing the 2A. God Bless America!!!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Have not seen one but that does not mean, in the darkest bowels of Reddit, that there are not 14 different variants, lol.
    Reason I ask is because that single shot I believe 380acp if possible it could make a nice 410ga. Maybe not slugs but a light birdshot load or that low velocity 000 buckshot load I believe federal makes at 850fps.

You know more about this than I do. I think it would be cool if that was possible. No rifling would be needed.

Altrex

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 10, 2021
    I still do not get it with this whole 3d firearms stuff. The ATF and the anti-2A brigade is after the 2A enough without all the hype about creating weapons that are not traceable or being manufactured outside of regulation of some sort. It only brings more anti 2A people and organizations out of the woodwork and they start arguing again all firearms. Look at Australia and Canada and pray that the commie left politicians in the USA do not succeed in totally trashing the 2A. God Bless America!!!
    Making your own firearms is as American as apple pie. It has always been legal in most areas but I doubt the majority of people know about it and the legal limitations. Technology has caught up to the point where you no longer need to have a significant investment in equipment to actually make something functional and fun. The innovation that I have seen in designs and fabrication are stunning. Plus, it acts as a check against a tyrannical government who may want to disarm the populous. Exercising your rights and standing up against the haters and their attacks is better in my opinion than hiding in the shadows hoping they won't catch on. Since I am a law abiding tax-paying citizen, why should I be regulated like I have criminal intent?

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Resurrecting this thread because I just found it and was wondering if anyone new has gotten into this stuff. I got my first printer in July (kinda scary that I say “my first,” when I only have one… maybe a little predictive) and am already addicted to the hobby.

I have printed a handstop and some Mag caddys for 10/22 and 22/45 mags for steel challenge. Also have a block for Glock disassembly (although I don’t think I really needed that, just needed something fun to print). There are some really cool designs out there for more serious stuff too, including a new 37mm launcher… can’t figure out what kind of ammo would be useful for it though.
    Anyone still interested in talking 3D printing stuff?
    Been lurking on fosscad on Reddit.

Altrex

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 10, 2021
    I am, printed a hoffman tactical AR lower and shot a handful of rounds through it. Looks like it will hold up. Working on a 10/22 charger right now

deadsquirrel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Carmel
    What brands of 3D printers have you had experiance with and how did you find/choose to purchase it? Are there any companies that you would steer completely away from?

Altrex

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 10, 2021
    What brands of 3D printers have you had experiance with and how did you find/choose to purchase it? Are there any companies that you would steer completely away from?
    I have a folgertech ft5 and ender 3. If you like to tinker then a kit like folgertech can be fun. If you want get printing fast then the creality (ender) products are pretty straight forward and quick to get running. If you want the Cadillac, buy a Prusa or something really high end. End result is my tuned $125 ender 3 has made prints equivalent to a $3k raise3d. I do think printers that have the bed only move in the z direction offer more accuracy and better finish. Especially for larger parts.

Top Bottom