• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    im about 10 months late reporting anything new with the .358 short. between a full time job a part time bussiness and just life in general there is not enough time to shoot. finally got to the range a shoot the tsx bulllets. will do 3 shots just under an inch most of the time if i can do my part. ran them thru the chrony and got an average of 2386 fps. the only thing i dont understand yet is it takes 5 grains less of the same powder to run 2400 fps than my .358 idc on the wssm case. same powder, same mag primer. thats a lot of powder difference. tsx bullet cause more friction than sierra( therfor mor pressure)? the .358 barrel just a fast barrel? whatever the reason im happy with the results so far.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    im about 10 months late reporting anything new with the .358 short. between a full time job a part time bussiness and just life in general there is not enough time to shoot. finally got to the range a shoot the tsx bulllets. will do 3 shots just under an inch most of the time if i can do my part. ran them thru the chrony and got an average of 2386 fps. the only thing i dont understand yet is it takes 5 grains less of the same powder to run 2400 fps than my .358 idc on the wssm case. same powder, same mag primer. thats a lot of powder difference. tsx bullet cause more friction than sierra( therfor mor pressure)? the .358 barrel just a fast barrel? whatever the reason im happy with the results so far.

Could be a difference in the barrels, but more than likely it's the actual case capacity ratio between the two that you're seeing. It takes more powder in a case with higher volume to generate the same pressure, and hence, the same velocity. The smaller volume of the 358 short means it will develop pressure with less powder than the 358WSSM, using the same bullet.

rjhans53

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2009
    yep, last last summer I came up with the same idea so I made some brass and headed to the range. I made 10 rounds of brass, fired it 4 times using 200 gr horn (the 180s just aren't long enough, shot with a loaded mag, put the calibers on the 4th rounds a couple of times and they held there oal. Groups opened up a hair but nothing real bad. Oh the rifle is a sako 75 that started off life as a 260 but I rebarreled to my 35 short and then reamed it out to 358 win.

Imeagher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I know this is an old thread but I've bought a .358 win barrel and plan on trying this out. Anybody else tried the .358 win trimmed to 1.8, load info, range reports with what bullet. Hopefully I'll have something to add to this in a few weeks.

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    the 243-260-7mm-08-338-and the 358 win. are made from the .308 Winchester. so 358 brass can be formed from these by necking up or down. dies are easy to find from any of the die manufactures. the 358 short really is as easy as it sounds.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Finding 358 Winchester dies and brass is not much of a challenge. Buy 100 to 200 pieces and you're probably set for years...it's not like you're going to be burning through lots of rounds every weekend. Once you get a load recipe worked up you'll put together 50 or 100 and use them primarily for hunting. If you want to shoot a lot of practice rounds there are plenty of other simpler ways of going about that, like with a factory 308.

Top Bottom