• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jpo117

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    I'm looking into buying my first handgun and I think I'd like to pick up something similar to what I first learned on, a 4" medium frame Smith and Wesson revolver. However, money's a little tight, so I'm trying to maximize value without sacrificing quality. So, I'm trying to decide if I should get a .357 or save some money and get a .38 spl like someone suggested in a different thread (I started a new thread since I didn't want to hijack that one).

This would be used for plinking and home defense--no hunting or concealed carrying or anything like that. It's also something I'd like to share with my girlfriend, who has slightly smaller hands but who can handle a .357 round. I figure it's only a matter of time before I start shopping for a new gun so I'm not too worried about getting the perfect gun right off the bat :). And finally, I'd like to spend around $300--less is great if I can, more is ok if I must.

So what do you think? Is the .38 the best way to go? Would I be better off spending more on a .357 and trying to save money by firing .38 ammo through it? Forget the whole thing and get a Glock?

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Buy a .357magnum, and shoot .38 Specials in it. That way you could 'have' the .357 mag and get range time with the .38s. That's what I do. You won't get much in the way of a .357 or a .38 with $300. Save some more $$$ and buy quality up front; you'll wish you had later.

SamW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    W. Lafayette
    You'd be silly not to buy .357 that can fire both.

A Glock is a different animal altogether. For targets and home defense, it's hard to beat a .357

Use gaping hollow points in .357 for HD and round-nose .38 for target plinking.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I bought my 4" blued Ruger GP100 .357 for $300.

They're outstanding firearms...if not as "pretty" as S&W / Colt offerings.

-J-

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I also recommend a .357 over a .38. I carried a S&W Mod 10 in .38 for a number of years, but the versatility of the .357 would be what I would recommend.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The 4" .357 Magnum revolver is probably one of the most versatile handguns on the market. You should be able to shop around and get an old police S&W model 19 or 66 pretty close to your desired price. You might have to sacrifice looks to get one for that price, but they are great shooters. The grips can be changed readily for range use, etc., so your gal friend can comfortably shoot it. No one can really consider themselves a handgunner unless they have a .357 Magnum revolver in their collection.

jpo117

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Thanks for the responses. All good points, and I initially considered getting a .357 for many of the reasons mentioned. But, let me muddy things up for you. Consider the following quote from a different thread asking for an opinion about a particular .357 mag revolver:

Realistically, I would not want to touch off a .357 in my home. Not an overpenetration thing, more of a not hearing anything for the rest of my life. I have always been a proponent of a good, 158gr LHP "Metro" load for carry and home defense. If that won't do it, .357 wont either...

Considering the intended use of the firearm (range shooting and home defense) the only reason I can think of that I would want to use .357 rounds is for protection in the home, and the above quote points out that the additional power of the round has drawbacks as well. Do you think the added power of the .357 is worth the increased muzzle blast and recoil in a defensive situation? If not, or if it's questionable, do you still think it's worth it to pay extra for the ability to fire .357 rounds?

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I have a .357 S&W and the only time I shoot .357's is at the range, or if I'm carrying it when I'm out for a walk. In the home, it's loaded with .38 special +P. I myself would not touch off a .357 indoors, ever. It is frikkin LOUD. Nothing wrong if that's what someone wants to do, but not for me.

That being said, yes, I would still pay some extra $$ for a .357, to be able to shoot both. If you are on a tight budget, you will probably be able to get a used .38 for significantly less money than a used .357 (in the 4" bbl and up sizes).

SamW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    W. Lafayette
    If a .357 is going to make you deaf, so is a .38 special in the home from a short-barreled, open-chambered firearm.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I'd still go with the .357 unless I came across an AWESOME deal on a .38. The .38 IS more than enough for personal and home defense.
    If you do have to touch off a .357 in your house, yes, you probably will suffer some hearing damage. .38 isn't a whole lot better in an enclosed room (don't even ask, and no, it wasn't me.) but it's still not as loud as a .357.
    If it does come down to shooting to defend yourself and home, though, the crowd is right. .357 is a flat out argument ender. one good shot anywhere from the top of the head to the kneecaps, and your bad guy is out of action, and very likely severely wounded.

stoyan79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Any .357 revolver can also fire .38.

It is very hard to beat the value offered by Ruger GP-100 or SP-101. They are both chambered in .357 and they are $450 new.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a 2" barrel on a Taurus .357 magnum. If your attacker is close enough, you can burn the crap out of him at the same time you ventilate him! I get a fireball about 6-8" across every time I pull the trigger. If you don't burn them, you'll likely temporarily blind them!

.357 is HANDS-DOWN a better defensive round. As stated earlier, use a GAPING hollow-point for a defensive round, and you should have little worry about over-penetration, as long as you hit your target!

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    .357 all the way. Can shoot .38s or .357s. HD load would be .38 Glazer safety slugs or .38 Corbins. A .357 is a bit overkill for close quarter combat and a Glazer is a pathologists nightmare.

Can't really go wrong with a Ruger, Smith, or Colt revolver. Look around and you'll find a good used one in your price range. Don't be concerned about buying an older model either. These guns are, sorry, "bulletproof".:):

glock34

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Fishers
    Like everyone else said. 357 so you can shoot both 38 and 357. Normally the 357 will be just a little heavier (not always) which helps with recoil even when shooting 38 and can make it more enjoyable to get out and shoot.

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    Well I supose I'll be the oddball saying the .38 ain't a bad idea in that there are quite a few deals out there on 4" .38 special security trade ins and what not. For example:

Used Smith & Wesson 64-7 38sp 4" Stainless for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $279.00

Not as much potentcy of the .357, but does all what your looking to do. And for $279 shipped is quite a bargin. $15 transfer at Beech Grove and they're on file with Buds.... Can't go wrong there. If I wasn't so poor, I'd be all over it.

Last edited:

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If I were you, I'd try and track down a Smith Model 19. I've picked up several of them for $300 or so over the last couple of years, and I think a lot of people(myself included) would argue that it's one of the finest revolvers ever made.

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    Take a look at the Taurus Tracker .357. They aren't the biggest name on the block but are very nice dependable pistols. As for ammo, if you are worried about over penetration, consider frangible ammo. Also consider .38+p ammo if you want more than standard .38 power or less than .357. Clearly the .357 pistol choice gives you the most options! I think that your budget will be enough if you are willing to shop a little.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I'm looking into buying my first handgun and I think I'd like to pick up something similar to what I first learned on, a 4" medium frame Smith and Wesson revolver. However, money's a little tight, so I'm trying to maximize value without sacrificing quality. So, I'm trying to decide if I should get a .357 or save some money and get a .38 spl like someone suggested in a different thread (I started a new thread since I didn't want to hijack that one).

This would be used for plinking and home defense--no hunting or concealed carrying or anything like that. It's also something I'd like to share with my girlfriend, who has slightly smaller hands but who can handle a .357 round. I figure it's only a matter of time before I start shopping for a new gun so I'm not too worried about getting the perfect gun right off the bat :). And finally, I'd like to spend around $300--less is great if I can, more is ok if I must.

So what do you think? Is the .38 the best way to go? Would I be better off spending more on a .357 and trying to save money by firing .38 ammo through it? Forget the whole thing and get a Glock?

Buy a 357

Top Bottom