• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    Does anyone know where I might be able to locate a .30 Remington AR barrel and bolt?

The round has since been abandoned through the years. I have an AR set (lower, upper, stock, forend and grip) for it that I've acquired recently. Its a proprietary upper, hybrid between the AR15 and AR10 almost.

Figured I look around first before I attempt to machine a barrel extension that will work with the upper.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If it were me, I think I'd abandon ship and just get an upper and BCG in a more popular caliber. The lower isn't proprietary too is it? I guess I could see trying to stick with the .30 Remington if it was a bolt gun and wouldn't be seeing that many rounds through it, but for a higher volume rifle like an AR, it sounds like a big headache.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    Truly a cartridge ahead of its time. Too bad it didn't catch on when it was introduced, I have a feeling it would still be in use today. How about a 308 ar15? Best of both worlds.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Truly a cartridge ahead of its time. Too bad it didn't catch on when it was introduced, I have a feeling it would still be in use today. How about a 308 ar15? Best of both worlds.
    That's what I'm thinking. Ammo is a lot easier to find, and certainly easier and cheaper to reload. Or even 6.5 Creedmoor. As a milsurp collector, I have some oddball calibers that I support, but most of it is for bolt action rifles and I'm not shooting thousands of rounds.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    POF offers 308 in ar15 platform. Both pistol and rifle I believe. There may be others that have them as well, but POF is the one that comes to mind.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    Why would you want to go this route?
    Alot of better choices out there.
    Any 450 bushmaster bolt will work.
    Brass can be made from 450 bushmaster also.
    Why not go with a 300 wssm?
    You can get barrels for it.
    Because I already have a .300 blkout, .50 beowulf, .458 socom, .350 legend, .450 Bushmaster, etc. Plus I'm a big green fan lol.

While the .450 Bushmaster is supposed to be the parent case. I don't believe it could be used based off the information I've found. A lot of people claim that it can, but dimensionally they're quite different.

"The face of said bolt is commonly sized for the .473-inch rim diameter of the .308 Winchester, but Remington went one step further by opening it up a bit and increasing the rim diameter of the .30 AR case to .492 inch.

This, by the way, is a rather uncommon rim diameter. The only other cartridge I could dig up that shares it is an 1800s number called the .35-40 Maynard. At any rate, by the time the job was done, the only thing the .30 AR case had in common with the .450 Bushmaster case was a base diameter of .500 inch."

The .30 RAR does not us the same bolt as a .450
    JbACi8R.png

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    I have an AR10 in .308 currently. It isn't really so much trying to shrink it in a smaller platform. Main reason I'm pursuing is that the kit features a rather nice camo pattern and I hate to let it go to waste. I would love to stick to factory if I can, but it has crossed my mind to machine a new barrel extension that would work on the upper, but feature a 5.56 barrel.

n2STCdI.png

I drawed up a quick model last night to get an idea of how the new extension would look. Basically its just a beefed up 5.56 AR15 extension.

uUbLV7Y.png

pIhFSdV.png

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    I have an AR10 in .308 currently. It isn't really so much trying to shrink it in a smaller platform. Main reason I'm pursuing is that the kit features a rather nice camo pattern and I hate to let it go to waste. I would love to stick to factory if I can, but it has crossed my mind to machine a new barrel extension that would work on the upper, but feature a 5.56 barrel.

n2STCdI.png

I drawed up a quick model last night to get an idea of how the new extension would look. Basically its just a beefed up 5.56 AR15 extension.

uUbLV7Y.png

pIhFSdV.png
    That is a good looking set. Good luck on your quest sir!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Does anyone know where I might be able to locate a .30 Remington AR barrel and bolt?

The round has since been abandoned through the years. I have an AR set (lower, upper, stock, forend and grip) for it that I've acquired recently. Its a proprietary upper, hybrid between the AR15 and AR10 almost.

Figured I look around first before I attempt to machine a barrel extension that will work with the upper.
    I thought about getting into one awhile back and decided to see how plentiful the brass was. It was hard to find. Then I went on a search as to what can be used to form it. Found out the 450 Bushmaster has to be cut down, then formed. It's supposed to work great.
    I wonder if you got a bolt to fit a 450 Bushmaster should work right?

Top Bottom