• ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    My books tell me its a barrel burner, I have seen the cases for sale while visiting Quality Cartridge where im from for sale.
    Personally I would keep the rifle in 06 and step up to a belted magnum.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Thought the rechamber may be a cheaper route considering I know a gunsmith with the reamer for the Gibbs. And the bedding job on the rifle is good.
    Is it a worthy rifle?
    Just remember the resale of a Gibbs will be in the bottom of the hopper.
    If you do it and need dies I would post a WTB in the classifieds on Castboolets.com

fender

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    southern indiana
    It's a commercial Mauser imported in 60's-70's. Not a high dollar rifle but good hunting gun. Probably run the numbers on needed work either direction. The Gibbs dies may be a determining factor. Better look into them. thanks

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    A member on CastBoolets has boo'koo new old stock CH dies, 'gmsharps' is his screen name.
    Great guy, I have bought many sets of old out of production dies from him.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I have a 30-06 with long headspace and am considering chambering to 30 Gibbs. Anyone reload for it or have experience with the caliber? Thanks
    Can you have a smith cut a thread off the breach end, ream a new chamber, and properly headspace? They often do that with bench rest barrels suffering from throat erosion.

fender

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    southern indiana
    Can you have a smith cut a thread off the breach end, ream a new chamber, and properly headspace? They often do that with bench rest barrels suffering from throat erosion.
    Yes, the same guy with the Gibbs reamer can do the barrel set back to 30-06. But the barrel has iron sights, and he mentioned the extra effort to bring them up center. Not that he can't and won't just thought it might be an easier route to ream out to longer cartridge. I have dealt with wildcat cartridges before and have reservations because of the added hassle and cost for the return. Even with that said a high performance 30-06 sounds good to me.

fender

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    southern indiana
    Decided to just set the barrel back and stay with 30-06. I like the idea of the Gibbs for hunting out of state and if a set of dies pop up maybe someday. To be honest I don't even load the 06 to its potential. 150gr SP @2700fps works for My needs here in Indiana.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Decided to just set the barrel back and stay with 30-06. I like the idea of the Gibbs for hunting out of state and if a set of dies pop up maybe someday. To be honest I don't even load the 06 to its potential. 150gr SP @2700fps works for My needs here in Indiana.
    Good follow up by the OP. Too often, the thread goes cold and leaves everyone in the dark on the outcome.

Top Bottom