• ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    looking for some .22lr match ammo... preferably wolf extra match... for a decent price... has anyone visited a site that has it in stock lately?

I have some Aguila Match I was about to put up for sale (425 rounds) or trade for CCI .22lr's.

Same box as this:

Ammo .22 LR Aguila Match Rifle 500 Round Brick Aguila 40 Grain Target Load Very Accurate

AMM-059.jpg

Is that what you are looking for?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    How many rounds were in those groups and what distance were they done at?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    round count varies..... i was tinkering with free floating vs. using the stocks bedding system... i went from 50 inch pounds of pressure on the take down screw to 10 inch pounds in 5 pound increments.... it liked 20#
    they were fired from 25 yards.... i am going to dope this rifle all the way out to 250-300 yards or so or until i run out of elevation in my scope (50 MOA) IF i can... dont know if those 25 yard groups with this gun are good enough...i might have to change the barrel to get the results i am looking for... the following pics are the gun that i am using... and a pic of a target.... this is what happens when a thread protector comes loose and you dont realize it...

GUN
    rugerflag.jpg

and the loose thread protector group
    targlooscap.jpg

think those groups at 25 are good enough to hold accuracy to get to 2-300? wind NOT included

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    sorry to get off topic a bit here but I see match ammo and aguila ammo quit a bit and wonder what the difference is{compared to a normal 22lr round youd find at wally world}..also is it any good for hunting?{tree rats/rabbits/venomous ducks etc etc} or is it pretty much just for paper punching?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    sorry to get off topic a bit here but I see match ammo and aguila ammo quit a bit and wonder what the difference is{compared to a normal 22lr round youd find at wally world}..also is it any good for hunting?{tree rats/rabbits/venomous ducks etc etc} or is it pretty much just for paper punching?

as far as hunting i cannot say..... they are subsonic (the .22 looses accuracy when it drops below the sound barrrior so match ammo is designed to never break it in the first place) they are not hollow points either so expansion wouldnt happen, but they would probably kill just the same...

the reason you shoot match is consistancy... standard deviation and extreme spreads of velocities will vary less with match ammo than with others.... the aguila had a SD of 12fps and ES of 30ish.... any variation in velocity results in verticle stringing at long distances which is unpredictable and not condusive to accuracy...

also they match ammo has more consistant priming compound and wax designed to build up slightly in the bore producing yet more consistancy....
    INDY

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I do not shoot competition. I'm also not trying to brag about my shooting abilities. I buy the cheapest bulk ammo I can find to shoot through my 925R. I paid $218 for the rifle, and scope. It usually takes a mag, or two to get warmed up and to make sure I'm zeroed in. After that I can usualy hold a 1-1.5" group at 50 yards. I'm better at shooting at small objects, such as bottle caps or other small objects. It's easier for me to focus.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    @ 1050 fps and using a 100y zero, you need ~42 MOA to make it to 300. 52 at 350. That little pill is only making 735 fps at 300.

never said it was going to be moving fast... and i am not the first person to do this by a long shot.... the .22 is more than capable at that distance.... to what degree of accuracy we will find out... but my goat is to keep shots on a paper plate 80 percent of the time at 300.... i as a shooter may not be up to that challenge yet, thats some pretty tuff shooting, but i am confidant that i will be able to do it with time... even if i have to change the barrel.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    never said it was going to be moving fast... and i am not the first person to do this by a long shot.... the .22 is more than capable at that distance.... to what degree of accuracy we will find out... but my goat is to keep shots on a paper plate 80 percent of the time at 300.... i as a shooter may not be up to that challenge yet, thats some pretty tuff shooting, but i am confidant that i will be able to do it with time... even if i have to change the barrel.

While you're at it, you better hope for no wind. You need 51 MOA consistently to stay on at every distance starting at 100y.

I hope it works out.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    While you're at it, you better hope for no wind. You need 51 MOA consistently to stay on at every distance starting at 100y.

I hope it works out.

i am not worried about consistant adjustments... the SS is a pretty well build scope and tracks properly during the box test.... i have also zeroed shot.... rotated ALL of my adjustments BOTH directions from my zero top to bottom... dialed my zero back on and had the same POI....

where i will be shooting wind isnt a huge concern... its a vally with heavily wooded areas on both sides and wind doesnt get quite as bad as the flat farm fields... it will still be an issue... but thats why i am doing this... there is no better way to learn to shoot in the wind than with a .22

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    you can hold those groups with CCI mini-mags from walmart for $6.50/100. At least a lot of guys at the Appleseed last weekend could, and with out rest.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    you can hold those groups with CCI mini-mags from walmart for $6.50/100. At least a lot of guys at the Appleseed last weekend could, and with out rest.

I understand you can hold these groups at 25 and even 50 with the cheaper bulk ammo... HOWEVER once you start pushing the range the more variance you have in velocity the more your impacts are going to change... for practice 50 and in bulk ammo is fine and works well, however i highly doubt it will hold up at longer ranges...i will run some federal bulk through my chrono and see what the differance is in extreme spread and standard deviation but i dont think it will be pretty.... also the bullets MUST BE SUBSONIC... when a .22 drops back below the sound barrior it looses stability... if it never breaks it in the first place you get consistancy downrange.

Top Bottom