• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ski5252

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2023
    Greenwood
    Curious to hear thoughts and experiences on this. What 22lr ammo have you all shot and found you can’t beat it for the money? I know, different rifles shoot best with different ammos. Just trying to see if there is a general consensus. My daughter and I have personally shot several different brands. With Aguila competition target being our most consistent yet. Just seems hard to find. I have been considering wolf match extra, lapua x, Eley. Just not sure it would be worth it for the money. Thoughts ?

Ski5252

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2023
    Greenwood
    You're considering some pretty expensive ammo. What firearms are you and your daughter currently shooting?

As to relatively inexpensive and consistently accurate in my firearms, I have always had good success with CCI Standard Velocity.
    She is shooting a Winchester 52. I am going to get her in some competitions. So that’s the main reason for this post. I’m sure I will end up buying several boxes of different types for comparison. Just trying to get any input for ideas on what to purchase even outside my considerations.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    She is shooting a Winchester 52. I am going to get her in some competitions. So that’s the main reason for this post. I’m sure I will end up buying several boxes of different types for comparison. Just trying to get any input for ideas on what to purchase even outside my considerations.
    If competition is your end game, then you need to invest in the higher quality ammo. The list you have is right in line with your stated goals.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    If you want to win competitions and have the funds to make it happen, the only way to go is to send the rifle off to one of the Lapua or Eley testing centers here in the states. They run a handful of different lots of ammo through the rifle and give you a detailed report on what each one did, along with their recommendation of which lot they suggest. They then help you place a case quantity order for it.

If you want her to have a solid shot at winning but can’t afford that whole process, some places will sell you an assortment of lots which you then test yourself. When you find one you like, you call back and hope they have enough of that lot in stock for you to order a case.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And different guns eat different ammo. Your best bet is to buy a little of each and experiment what is best for HER rifle. Benchrest it. See what works best.

And its not always the most expensive that works best. In my 10/22 bull barrel it does OK with Eley, but actually shoots better with the cheaper mini mags. At 25 yards (was testing on a gusty day so I didnt want to deal with wind) My Eleys were holding nickel groups with a flyer that was still inside a quarter. But the mini mags made a ragged hole smaller than a dime. :rockwoot:

Ski5252

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2023
    Greenwood
    If you want to win competitions and have the funds to make it happen, the only way to go is to send the rifle off to one of the Lapua or Eley testing centers here in the states. They run a handful of different lots of ammo through the rifle and give you a detailed report on what each one did, along with their recommendation of which lot they suggest. They then help you place a case quantity order for it.

If you want her to have a solid shot at winning but can’t afford that whole process, some places will sell you an assortment of lots which you then test yourself. When you find one you like, you call back and hope they have enough of that lot in stock for you to order a case.
    Wow. I didn’t know that was an option. May have to look into that. Thanks !

Ski5252

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2023
    Greenwood
    And different guns eat different ammo. Your best bet is to buy a little of each and experiment what is best for HER rifle. Benchrest it. See what works best.

And its not always the most expensive that works best. In my 10/22 bull barrel it does OK with Eley, but actually shoots better with the cheaper mini mags. At 25 yards (was testing on a gusty day so I didnt want to deal with wind) My Eleys were holding nickel groups with a flyer that was still inside a quarter. But the mini mags made a ragged hole smaller than a dime. :rockwoot:
    Yes I understand situations can vary drastically. Just looking for input and a general consensus. Just ordered eley tenex, match, club, and target. See the difference in those at the price points. Move on to different brand if needed. Thanks !

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yes I understand situations can vary drastically. Just looking for input and a general consensus. Just ordered eley tenex, match, club, and target. See the difference in those at the price points. Move on to different brand if needed. Thanks !
    Good plan. Just dont be surprised if her rifle likes cheaper stuff.

Ski5252

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2023
    Greenwood
    If competition is your end game, then you need to invest in the higher quality ammo. The list you have is right in line with your stated goals.
    Well, I know the Aguila shot really well through it and it is a bit cheaper. Although the eley club and target is pretty cheap too. The tenex and match are more than double price. We shall see.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Wow. I didn’t know that was an option. May have to look into that. Thanks !

I believe Lapua has a testing center in Ohio, so you could drive there and watch. Might be a good experience for her. Last I knew though, you had to schedule the trip and they were booked out several months.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    It won't at 100.

Honestly, I've never seen anything LESS than SK Rifle Match be able to hang with the 50 meter targets without fliers; I probably haven't shot enough Standard+ to be sure, though. I didn't have time to have the rifle shoot nines.

Stretch it out to 100 yards, and try to shoot boringly-consistent MOA groups, and the Lapuas and Eleys of the world begin to make more sense. So do tuners and better barrels and chambers.

Many ammunition types will probably clean 50 yard targets in that 52, though. Big target. About a nickel 10-ring.

Excepting the odd-distance "NRA-size"
    targets that don't see much use, the 50 foot USA-50 target is the only "official" one that seems like it will put up with some crap as far as velocity inconsistencies. It's tiny, but it's really close. Still f*** you for a 9 pretty easily though.

Of course. I am making some very big assumptions about what KIND of competition they want to shoot. I based that on the rifle, which is pretty specialized in it's stock target form.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    I remember reading about 22 ammo testing guages that help weed out bad rounds of the cheaper stuff. Can't remember if it worked or not.

Not really. You can sort them by rim thickness or resize them with something like the old Paco Accurizer die and you MIGHT see a tiny improvement in your groups. But the majority of fliers are from manufacturing inconsistencies that you can’t change such as difference in powder charge, not seating/crimping consistently, etc.

From what I recall, there are usually only 2-3 different “types” of ammo that most companies produce. From there, the lot gets tested. Lots that produce more accurate/precise/consistent groups are given a higher label. For instance with Lapua, Midas+ and Center-X are the same ammo. However, during production, lots that turn in higher levels of performance are sold under the Midas+ label, whereas lots of a lower (though still exceptional) performance would be sold under the Center-X label.

So really, you best chance of getting better performance is to buy the best quality you can afford. Test lots yourself when you can, and then buy as much if that lot as you can find/afford. That’s really the only surefire way to get as much accuracy as possible with rimfire ammo short of the few boutique ELR handloading options that exist.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Different lots of the same .22 LR will shoot differently in the same gun. Before I’d invest in having a factory ammo test and buying several cases of the best lot, I’d make certain that the shooter has the skills to take advantage of premium, lot tested .22 LR ammo. There are a lot of fundamentals that need perfecting.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Different lots of the same .22 LR will shoot differently in the same gun. Before I’d invest in having a factory ammo test and buying several cases of the best lot, I’d make certain that the shooter has the skills to take advantage of premium, lot tested .22 LR ammo. There are a lot of fundamentals that need perfecting.
    Agree with this. Stock up on Eley Orange and Yellow box. Then go use that consistent ammo to work on the shooter. Ammo testing will be a distraction at this point, if she hasn't shot a match yet.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It won't at 100.

Honestly, I've never seen anything LESS than SK Rifle Match be able to hang with the 50 meter targets without fliers; I probably haven't shot enough Standard+ to be sure, though. I didn't have time to have the rifle shoot nines.

Stretch it out to 100 yards, and try to shoot boringly-consistent MOA groups, and the Lapuas and Eleys of the world begin to make more sense. So do tuners and better barrels and chambers.

Many ammunition types will probably clean 50 yard targets in that 52, though. Big target. About a nickel 10-ring.

Excepting the odd-distance "NRA-size"
    targets that don't see much use, the 50 foot USA-50 target is the only "official" one that seems like it will put up with some crap as far as velocity inconsistencies. It's tiny, but it's really close. Still f*** you for a 9 pretty easily though.

Of course. I am making some very big assumptions about what KIND of competition they want to shoot. I based that on the rifle, which is pretty specialized in it's stock target form.

What's the least expensive ammo you are seeing folks competitive with, while still contending for the top of the score sheet these days?

Ski5252

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2023
    Greenwood
    I just purchased several different eley. Tenex,match,club,target, precision bench rest, outlaw, and a fiochi. We will see how they go.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I just purchased several different eley. Tenex,match,club,target, precision bench rest, outlaw, and a fiochi. We will see how they go.
    Winchester 52, nice rifle! What kinda competition do you/her shoot?

You will have to shoot for groups and decide for yourself. I have 2 identical Anschutz each perfers a different load, but both shoot equally OK (not great, but ok) on lower cost ammo. You might find for practice you use a lower cost ammo and for match day you use your preferred ammo.

Top Bottom