• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I realize this thread may not get a lot of traction or posts, and that’s okay.

Jon Rahm’s won 3 times this season already and doesn’t appear to be slowing down at all.

Tiger was back in action this weekend and made the cut in his first round in forever.

Rory McLory has clearly become the face of golf right now with Tiger being hit or miss for the past few years.

Lots to talk about!

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I realize this thread may not get a lot of traction or posts, and that’s okay.

Jon Rahm’s won 3 times this season already and doesn’t appear to be slowing down at all.

Tiger was back in action this weekend and made the cut in his first round in forever.

Rory McLory has clearly become the face of golf right now with Tiger being hit or miss for the past few years.

Lots to talk about!
    Golf is about the only sport I watch on TV anymore. I never was a fan of McIlroy's until he became the outspoken leader against the Livvers and their willingness to accept millions of $$ of Saudi blood money.

Are you watching "Full Swing" on Netflix? So far, it's better than I expected. I found it interesting in the Ian Poulter and Brooks Koepka profiles about their motivation for bolting to Liv. Essentially, it comes down to their realization that they no longer can compete in the Major Leagues, so why not try AAA? Especially for guaranteed money.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Golf is about the only sport I watch on TV anymore. I never was a fan of McIlroy's until he became the outspoken leader against the Livvers and their willingness to accept millions of $$ of Saudi blood money.

Yeah he’s definitely been the most outspoken critic for sure.

Are you watching "Full Swing" on Netflix? So far, it's better than I expected. I found it interesting in the Ian Poulter and Brooks Koepka profiles about their motivation for bolting to Liv. Essentially, it comes down to their realization that they no longer can compete in the Major Leagues, so why not try AAA? Especially for guaranteed money.

I haven’t had time to check out that show yet. I’ve heard mixed reviews about it.

Really curious to see if Rahm continues his dominance this year.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Yeah he’s definitely been the most outspoken critic for sure.

I haven’t had time to check out that show yet. I’ve heard mixed reviews about it.

Really curious to see if Rahm continues his dominance this year.
    I don't know, Scottie Scheffler started out last year like he'd win every tournament he entered, then cooled off. I think that the days of one player dominating The Tour ended with Tiger Woods' injuries and age.

Don't get me wrong; I like Rahm. He reminds me of me in two ways: the short backswings, and those pesky snap hooks with the driver. :(

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I don't know, Scottie Scheffler started out last year like he'd win every tournament he entered, then cooled off. I think that the days of one player dominating The Tour ended with Tiger Woods' injuries and age.

Don't get me wrong; I like Rahm. He reminds me of me in two ways: the short backswings, and those pesky snap hooks with the driver. :(

I imagine nobody thought there would ever be another Jack Nicklaus and then Tiger came along.

It really does take a very special mixer of supreme God-given talent and psychopath levels of obsession/competitive drive.

I would also say the overall level of play has risen over the past couple decades. Kids start playing competitively when they’re like 8 and some are plus handicappers by 12 or 13. So you’re probably right, it would be much harder for someone to have a run like Tiger did nowadays.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    I imagine nobody thought there would ever be another Jack Nicklaus and then Tiger came along.

It really does take a very special mixer of supreme God-given talent and psychopath levels of obsession/competitive drive.

I would also say the overall level of play has risen over the past couple decades. Kids start playing competitively when they’re like 8 and some are plus handicappers by 12 or 13. So you’re probably right, it would be much harder for someone to have a run like Tiger did nowadays.
    There's a lot of truth to this. My daughter is a Senior in high school, and in her four years of playing the winning team score for Sectionals dropped almost 40 points. The winning individual scores weren't much different, but the gap from #1 to #5 narrowed a lot.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    To put into perspective how dominant Rahm has been…

The gap between 1st and 2nd (Rahm and Mcllroy) is the same as the gap between 2nd and 24th (Mcllroy and Sungjae Im).

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    From what I’ve been seeing, looks like there are about 6 players going to be in the running in almost every tournament they enter - Rahm, Scheffler, Homa, Mitchell, Zalatoris (if his back holds out) and Morikawa. A couple years ago I thought Speith, Thomas and Schauffele were among the top, but they’ve all seemed to cool off the last couple seasons. Cantlay and McIlroy are so hot and cold it isn’t funny.

Think the Fed Ex cup will probably be a back and forth contest between my first three mentioned above this year.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    The Honda Classic this weekend with the famous “bear trap” holes.

It’s not one of the designated events this season so none of the big names are playing in it.

I’d be curious to hear how the PGA plans to keep the interest level up in the non-designated events. I love watching golf as much as the next guy but it’s just not the same when you don’t have the very best players on the planet in the field. Heck, maybe they don’t even care. The big events draw enough money to make up for the smaller ones.

Reactions: oze

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I am still waiting on the local kid to get a win. Patrick Rodgers. His dad Charlie and I worked together at Prestwick many moons ago.... when we were teenagers. Always pulling for him when he is in the field.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    With Patrick? Did you know his dad Charlie? Man, we use to have a lot of fun when we were young men/kids, lol. They are good people........glad he is doing well in PGA, but man I want him to get a win.
    Didn't know the family real well, but probably talked to him a few times. Jason only played on his team one year when they were 10 or 11, I think, and then we moved the boys out to Danville little league due to some political stuff at AJAA we wanted no part of. Still hard to believe all these "little kids" are now in their 30's...

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    Enjoy watching Golf on TV, especially the Champions Tour since that's more My age group.
    Not familiar with 350 yds Drives, like the "Youngins" can blast.
    IMO, the Only thing LIV golf acheived was to Increase the Purses for PGA Tour events.
    PGA is a Huge Cash Cow, much like the NCAA & about as (in)effective.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I wish that there would be more LPGA events televised. At my age, the average distances that I hit my clubs fall well into the range of LPGA averages; it's much easier for me to relate to someone being 160 yards out and pulling out a 7-iron, rather than a 9-iron! As my swing instructor said, most amateurs should be looking to see what Lydia Ko carries rather than what's in Jon Rahm's bag.

Average distances by club, LPGA

Screenshot_20230224_092409_Firefox.jpg

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I wish that there would be more LPGA events televised. At my age, the average distances that I hit my clubs fall well into the range of LPGA averages; it's much easier for me to relate to someone being 160 yards out and pulling out a 7-iron, rather than a 9-iron! As my swing instructor said, most amateurs should be looking to see what Lydia Ko carries rather than what's in Jon Rahm's bag.

Average distances by club, LPGA

View attachment 257950

Nelly Korda is an absolute stud. It was funny to hear some of the PGA guys talk about her when there was a mixed event a few months ago. Kevin Kisner and Max Homa were in awe.

Top Bottom