• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I think this might be the correct for this, but does anybody have a 2015(or similar body style years) grand caravan and have an optimal pistol storage/mount that allows quick access to the pistol from the driver's seat? Perhaps one of those gun magnets or a holster mounted somewhere my M&P shield 9 EZ can be reached while driving? Thanks in advance for the input...

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I think this might be the correct for this, but does anybody have a 2015(or similar body style years) grand caravan and have an optimal pistol storage/mount that allows quick access to the pistol from the driver's seat? Perhaps one of those gun magnets or a holster mounted somewhere my M&P shield 9 EZ can be reached while driving? Thanks in advance for the input...
    Magnet mounts work well. Have one in my truck, the key is to have something solid to mount it to.

Your handy you could do a lot with some pine boards on the inside of your floor console.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Avoid magnets for car mounts. You want something with a positive, level 2 or higher rentention device.

Because if you are in an accident, that magnet mounted gun WILL become a missile. if you're lucky its not a rollover and it smacks you in the face. Or worse.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Avoid magnets for car mounts. You want something with a positive, level 2 or higher rentention device.

Because if you are in an accident, that magnet mounted gun WILL become a missile. if you're lucky its not a rollover and it smacks you in the face. Or worse.
    And suggestions?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I had some caravans, the 1st being 1984. I bolted a holster to a piece of 1-1/2 inch band iron that was cut long enough to reach the bolts where the seat mounted to the seat pedestal. You have to mount the holster a little to one side so the seat adjuster does not get in your way. A rigid mounted holster right under the seat is far handier to grab than a loose holster sliding around on the floor.

The one I made for the 1984 fit right in the 1991. I don't know about 2015 models, but you get the idea.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And suggestions?
    Check out Safariland. ALS or TLS. I think they have a modular system that would allow you to screw the holster to the van.

Just avoid the Serpa (Blackhawk) Those are a hot mess asking for a ND.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    We have a 13'. Ours also has the basic center counsel. There really is no where as I have thought about this also.

A trainer I listened to a while back had some thoughts on vehicle mounted pistols. They were as follows.....

*If you will be going about town here and there, removing your pistol from the holster on your body and putting in the mounted holster several times per trip, this greatly increases the chance of the trigger getting pulled inadvertently. If this needs to be done, it's best done with the whole gun/holster coming off and changing positions.

*In the event of an wreck, a pistol is much more likely to be knocked out of, or off a vehicle mount. If it's securely in a belt holster, the chances of it staying there are greater.

*If you need to drive aggressively to get away and then need to exit the vehicle, the time trying to get your pistol from vehicle mounted holster can greatly increase the time of your escape. Especially if you are needing to help someone else like you child out of the vehicle. Trying to get said pistol into the holster on your body in a hurried state of mind is a bad idea.

There were a few more but I don't recall them. I just leave it in my holster. A few weeks ago, my family and I did a trip west of the Mississippi. I was legal in every state to carry while in the vehicle. I did so the entire time. Finding the right position helps. I have found that sliding a IWB back closer to 4:30 helps me.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    We have a 13'. Ours also has the basic center counsel. There really is no where as I have thought about this also.

A trainer I listened to a while back had some thoughts on vehicle mounted pistols. They were as follows.....

*If you will be going about town here and there, removing your pistol from the holster on your body and putting in the mounted holster several times per trip, this greatly increases the chance of the trigger getting pulled inadvertently. If this needs to be done, it's best done with the whole gun/holster coming off and changing positions.

*In the event of an wreck, a pistol is much more likely to be knocked out of, or off a vehicle mount. If it's securely in a belt holster, the chances of it staying there are greater.

*If you need to drive aggressively to get away and then need to exit the vehicle, the time trying to get your pistol from vehicle mounted holster can greatly increase the time of your escape. Especially if you are needing to help someone else like you child out of the vehicle. Trying to get said pistol into the holster on your body in a hurried state of mind is a bad idea.

There were a few more but I don't recall them. I just leave it in my holster. A few weeks ago, my family and I did a trip west of the Mississippi. I was legal in every state to carry while in the vehicle. I did so the entire time. Finding the right position helps. I have found that sliding a IWB back closer to 4:30 helps me.
    My 2015 has the full middle console... I usually prefer leather holsters on my side, but it's hard to access the pistol if it's still on my person, especially if my seatbelt is still on.

I had a potential dangerous situation happen a couple years ago north side of Indy that got me thinking about needing access while still in driver's seat and buckled. I was on a 4 lane bridge(two coming, two going with a turn lane), I was in the turn lane to get onto 465, I had cars behind me and another van cut me off right in front of me. Traffic was in motion going each way, I was pinned. Guy got out of his car and started to approach my car with my family in it.

I was already pissed about something else entirely not related to the incident, so the scowl look on my face was already present and this situation didn't help. He turned and got back in his van, drove off.

I think about this every day and ask myself, what IF he continued to approach the car in a aggressive manner, could I get to my firearm fast enough from the holster on my person that's tucked under my seat belt?

I'm sure the trainer you referenced has some valid points, but my experience could of turned bad. I'll take the risk.

Also, though I haven't encountered protestors blocking the streets, that also adds to my concerns

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I agree that every situation will be different and one set up may work great in one circumstance, and will not work in another. This is along the lines of a low round count, deep concealment pistol versus a higher capacity belt worn pistol. It's all compromise.

One thing I'd recommend is practice drawing from the driver's seat, with your seatbelt on. I've done this and although I don't do it enough, I still try it every now and then.

For me, two things are key. First is when I sit in the seat, I tuck my cover garment behind the pistol. I try and do this before I put my seatbelt on. Trying to remember to cover it back up seems harder to remember.

Second is when I draw, I lean forward and left, up towards the A-pillar. I'm a big guy. But this will allow me to get a good grip, clear the holster and keep the gun pointed at the counsel, not my leg or the passenger.

A OWB at about 3:30 makes things a bit more difficult but that's my preferred carry method. As I mentioned earlier, a IWB at 4-4:30 seems to work better and is more comfortable over time.

As with anything we do, practice is the key. This has seemed to be what works for me.

Top Bottom