• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • McKinney19D

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Southport Indy
    This article seems to put a total spin on gun laws ( i know, no surprise there! )

they try to say that states with less restrictive gun laws has more killings BECAUSE of the gun laws.

however, the obvious observation is that states with more armed citizens are more likely to kill criminals.

gotta love the spin

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    So let me get this straight:

If I live in the state with the least restrictive gun laws I'll have a .00006 greater percentage chance of dying by being shot than if I live in the state with the most restrictive gun laws?

Hell, that tradeoff is a no-brainer.

nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I looked through their list and suppositions. Several thoughts:

I'd be willing to bet, they counted suicides/defensive shootings/gang violence/etc, which defeats the purpose of this kind of information. If you remove those demographics then you lose (I'd guess) 80-95% of your "gun death" statistics.

I have NO IDEA how Vermont is #3 on "permissive gun laws" because they require NO PERMIT to either open or conceal carry. How is Arizona more permissive than that!?!?

This article is totally fudged

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I looked through their list and suppositions. Several thoughts:

I'd be willing to bet, they counted suicides/defensive shootings/gang violence/etc, which defeats the purpose of this kind of information. If you remove those demographics then you lose (I'd guess) 80-95% of your "gun death" statistics.

I have NO IDEA how Vermont is #3 on "permissive gun laws" because they require NO PERMIT to either open or conceal carry. How is Arizona more permissive than that!?!?

This article is totally fudged

Again, though, look at the percentages. Statistically insignificant differences.

NewsShooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The list also doesn't make the distinction between urban and rural areas or communities. You're far more likely, obviously, to encounter violent crime in metro areas vs. farm-communities or towns - regardless of how many guns are or are not present per capita.

NewsShooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Indianapolis
    also, they link this as a source from some liberal rag source: Gun Laws Matter:

Shows death rate, gun exports, gun ownership...

Interestingly:

In Maryland, 22% of homeowners have a gun and the state has a 12% "Gun Death Rate"

In Idaho, 57% of homeowners have a gun and the state has a 12% "Gun Death Rate"

In South Dakota, 60% of homeowners have a gun and the state has a 6.5% "Gun Death Rate"

Weird. It's as if one thing has absolutely nothing to do with the other... and all the numbers and facts are all arbitrary and pointless.

ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    also, they link this as a source from some liberal rag source: Gun Laws Matter:

Shows death rate, gun exports, gun ownership...

Interestingly:

In Maryland, 22% of homeowners have a gun and the state has a 12% "Gun Death Rate"

In Idaho, 57% of homeowners have a gun and the state has a 12% "Gun Death Rate"

In South Dakota, 60% of homeowners have a gun and the state has a 6.5% "Gun Death Rate"

Weird. It's as if one thing has absolutely nothing to do with the other... and all the numbers and facts are all arbitrary and pointless.
    But guns are loud and can hurt people and are on those violent video games, they must be restricted.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Again, though, look at the percentages. Statistically insignificant differences.

Good point. If you look at the per capita death rate, there is not much difference until a person gets way down the list. Maybe the take away is that gun laws have little affect on gun death rates. Now there would be a revelation!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I'm insulted we weren't higher on the list.

That's because our handgun laws are more "restrictive". IN requires an LTCH just to take a handgun to the range. Not like some other states wear you just load it up and toss it in your glovebox. Of course the criminals just shove them in their waste bands.

Top Bottom