• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Micah

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    www.branham.org
    My brother just got out of jail on felony charges. Can he or myself have legal issues if he is with me and I am carrying?

I keep two holsters. One on my side and the other in my truck. When I am driving I keep my sidearm in the truck holster. Obviously when I am carrying I have the weapon on my person. Is it legal to transfer my weapon from one holster to the other while I am standing outside of my vehicle? For example, open my truck door, unholster my weapon and reholster in the truck, then get into the truck and shut the door.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Assuming you have an LTCH, transferring from one holster to another outside your truck is perfectly legal, so long as no other prohibitions apply. You wouldn't want to do that in a school parking lot, for example. As for your brother, being with him and carrying shouldn't affect either of you, although the conditions of his release may state that he cannot reside where firearms are kept, or have some other specific prohibition. You, on the other hand, should be GTG; once again assuming you have a valid LTCH for when you leave your property.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    My brother just got out of jail on felony charges.

Felony charges or felony conviction? If just charges, then he's not a felon (yet) so unless he was already a felon there is not an issue. There may, however, be terms of his release while awaiting his trial that precludes him from certain things regarding firearms as well as other things. If in doubt, check with his attorney, the last thing either of you will want to do is make the situation worse for him.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    For peace of mind, make sure you prevent situations where he could be considered "in possession" of your firearm--i.e. leaving it in your vehicle when he is also in the vehicle. IANAL, but that sounds pretty much like common sense to me.

Top Bottom