• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    2 big gun auctions coming up. Earls off Lafayette road will have about 100 guns on 1/1/14. Christie's at Southport and Madison will have 300 + guns up for sale on 1/25/14. Both are FFL's, so you will need to du paperwork. FYI I'm not affiliated with either of these operations, I will be a customer of Christies sale, not Earls. Not a big fan of Earl or the way his auctions are ran. If you have never been to a live gun auction, the best deals are always at the middle and end. When the auction first starts sales can be very high.

indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    +17% more than you bid???

You are correct sir. 10% buyers premium and 7% sales tax. I know this bothers a lot of people. But the truth is almost every auction does this now. You simply have to account for that when bidding. Auctions in general are not a good place to buy guns. You can get deals after the first hour or so, after some leave. In fact you can get some VERY good deals. But if it turns into a penis measuring contest then it can all go to hell. And to hell very fast. At Christies last week during there normal Market day sale a Colt Python in decent shape sold for $2700, a Glock 22 in ok shape went for $450, add 17% to these prices. I would not have paid over $325 for the Glock in the shape it was in. A Bushmaster with some rust on it went for $880, you can buy the gun new at Gander for $900. After the tax and buyers fee they paid more then a new Gander gun. Why? Well some guys had to bring out rulers and see who was swinging more. I don't understand but thats just the truth.

338sniper

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    Jul 15, 2012
    Frieje's has no buyers premium and no transfer fees. That's why I think it will be the auction to attend

indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    Frieje's has no buyers premium and no transfer fees. That's why I think it will be the auction to attend

At least when I get screwed at a real auction I can see who is doing it. This is an online auction correct? No reason you can't go to Earls and do this sale at the same time. Or Christies on 1/25. Thanks for the information.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    Am I reading Freije's terms correctly--is it a 15% internet premium, and another 15% buyer's premium, plus tax?

Internet Premium: 15%
    Participation Requirements: Valid Credit Card required for bidding approval
    Payment Options: Visa and MasterCard
    Visa MasterCard
    Payment Instructions: All accounts must be settled at the conclusion of the auction. We accept Visa and MasterCard Credit Cards ONLY; no on-line sales payable by check. Your credit card will be charged for your purchases, plus buyer’s premiums of 15%, and any taxes. A pre-auction authorization will be performed to establish available credit. NOTHING will be charged to your card until a purchase is made. Credit card chargeback’s will not be accepted. Indiana residents will be charged 7% sales tax.

30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    Freijes does not charge a premium if you are there in person, proxi bid charges 15% to bid online using their system, sales tax is between you and the state of Indiana

30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    Earls charging a $20 transfer fee is also BS since they are a licensed ffl dealer as well, and the fact that if the auctioneer is selling an estate that no 4473's (transfers) HAVE to be done, auction companies only have to do that on consignment auctions

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Earls charging a $20 transfer fee is also BS since they are a licensed ffl dealer as well, and the fact that if the auctioneer is selling an estate that no 4473's (transfers) HAVE to be done, auction companies only have to do that on consignment auctions

let me clarify, they are making ffl holders who buy at the auction pay a transfer and complete a 4473, rather than just write it down.

338sniper

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    Jul 15, 2012
    let me clarify, they are making ffl holders who buy at the auction pay a transfer and complete a 4473, rather than just write it down.

Not really sure what you clarified, as the original post was pretty clear.

Everyone pays a $20 per gun "transfer fee" + 10% buyers premium. However since it is a "private party" sale by law there is no requirement to "transfer" (fill out a 4473). I also find it odd that Earls has brought in an outside FFL holder to do the transfers when they hold a FFL themselves.

Last edited:

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I attend gun auctions as well as estate aucions and there are plenty of deals to be had. The most recent auction at Earls that was highly publicized and it was a joke. There were a few good buys but most of them where MSRP when you added the extra fee. I prefer the auctions that do not allow the online biding but as long as you do get caught in a bidding war and stop at your top dollar you will find a deal. For example the last auction at Freije the subcompact M&Ps were selling for under 400. I do not know any LGS that are selling these this cheap. I was able to pick up a Winchester 67 in great shape for 125.00

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I have only been to a couple of gun auctions. Those were more than enough for me to decide to never attend another. I do not claim to know the values of most guns, but the ones at the auctions that I did know went for nearly retail to more than retail prices and that did not include the other charges to be added on after the bidding. I have better things to waste my money on.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    been to many auctions years ago before obumer in office, still only two good deals I ever got was on a ruger mini 30 and a mak90 that was at a auction in Madison Indiana been to a Christy's over the years but nothing ever followed me home except for some reloading supplies. Key thing is know what things sell for in open market and keep your wits about you and do not get drawn in to a bidding war. Just my 2 cents

Top Bottom