• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I recently purchased a 1997 Ford F150 in great shape for a great price. However...I'm having issues with the ignition. Most times the keys didn't want to turn (I have tried both key which are both well worn). It would go into the ignition but not turn. Sometimes it might take several minutes of removing and reinserting the key, giggling the shifter lever and/or tilt wheel before the key finally turns.

So yesterday I replaced the ignition cylinder. It started several times perfectly. No issues. So this afternoon I went out to move the truck...and guess what? The key won't turn. Again, a couple of minutes of removing, reinserting and or jiggling the key, column, etc. before the key turns. Both new keys had the same issue (to note, both new keys feel like they have small burrs on them. I don't have access to a wire wheel today so I thought I'd seek advise until I do.).

Any ideas on where to start looking?

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I had that issue with my 95 F150, i eventually took channel locks and put enough pressure on the cylinder to break something, and never had a problem again. The truck was about 3 years old then. Wouldn't suggest trying that. I have had the same issue, with varying degrees of severity, on every Ford I've ever owned.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I had that issue with my 95 F150, i eventually took channel locks and put enough pressure on the cylinder to break something, and never had a problem again. The truck was about 3 years old then. Wouldn't suggest trying that. I have had the same issue, with varying degrees of severity, on every Ford I've ever owned.
    I had a couple beauty Gran Torinos when I was a lot younger. Both took a little jiggling once in a while.

It seems like with this you have to stomp one foot 3 times and hold your mouth just right as Mars and Venus line up perfectly. It will go eventually...it just takes a couple minutes of doing...and I don't have the patience I once had.

Maybe I just got a bad new ignition cylinder?

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    Two possible things.
    1.) Keys are so worn they aren't engaging all the pins in the cylinder so cylinder stays locked.

2.) Cylinder is shot and needs replaced.

Easier of the two is the keys. If you have the key code a smith can cut you a new key.

With the VIN and proof of ownership SOME dealerships will give you the key code.

If its the cylinder, you now get to carry two keys to drive the truck, one for the doors, one for the ignition, unless you want to spend the money for a keyed alike set for ignition and doors.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Two possible things.
    1.) Keys are so worn they aren't engaging all the pins in the cylinder so cylinder stays locked.

2.) Cylinder is shot and needs replaced.

Easier of the two is the keys. If you have the key code a smith can cut you a new key.

With the VIN and proof of ownership SOME dealerships will give you the key code.

If its the cylinder, you now get to carry two keys to drive the truck, one for the doors, one for the ignition, unless you want to spend the money for a keyed alike set for ignition and doors.
    New ignition cylinder, new keys, same problem as the old ignition cylinder and old keys.

With a new ignition cylinder and new keys, what else would prevent the new keys from turning in a new ignition cylinder?

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    When my truck was pretty new the lock cylinder was pretty tight... Not sure if you problem is the same. I had to pull the steering wheel and spray with a good lube down the linkage rod. Took care of the problem. 20 years or more later still no problems.

Did you try turning the wheel?? Sometimes they will lock in a bind and make the key a big drag to turn. Probably not but another try. Same thing with the shifter.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Maybe worth a try: Presuming the gear selector lever is on the column, lift up and hold up slightly on the lever, and it may well start normally.

Through wear, the column linkage 'drops' a bit (maybe 1/16"?) due to the weight of the lever and engages the lever / ignition lock.

Older Fords were 'known' for that for some number of years. Had this issue with an old Ford LTD I owned years ago. Lifting the shift selector slightly rectified the problem. Took two hands to start it, but it worked that way for a couple years, 'til sold. Never bothered replacing anything.

YMMV, of course.

Top Bottom