1942 Mosin Ex-PU at Terre Haute Gander Mtn.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ncthorn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    If anyone is in the market for an ex-sniper M91/30 the Terre Haute Gander Mtn. has a 1942 dated Izhevsk example for $100. This is a pretty solid deal IMO. I had it held in my name earlier today but I have been persuaded not to buy as I already have an ex-sniper that I have not resnipered yet. If anyone goes and cannot find it, ask if they have a rifle held under the name of Thornton. This is just a heads up as I have noticed an increased interest in these rifles among the members of this board.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    hehe I was just in there today and saw they had a bunch of 91/30s in stock. So tell me, how do you tell which one is an ex sniper of all the rifles on the shelf?

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    answered my own question: Carteach0: Is your Mosin 91/30 an Ex-sniper?

and Im looking for this (except 1942) on the receiver, yes?
    0106.jpg

ncthorn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Clay, you are looking for a scope serial number on the left side of the barrel and two filled holes inside the receiver. It is a 1942 date meaning it is an early PU style rifle and as such is worth a little bit more than my 1944 dated one. It's stamped matching with a lineout on the floorplate. Overall condition as I inspected it was not quite as good as my example from J&G Sales but it is still a fine rifle and had a nice bore.

This is what you want to see:
    IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

The funny part was when I asked the guy in there to hold it for me. Keep in mind my eighteenth birthday was November 23rd so I look pretty young compared to the primarily middle aged gentlemen roaming around the department. I asked him if they ever hold firearms for customers and he looked very confused seeing me standing by the Mosins. Finally he says "we will have those forever". I say "I know but this one is special". Skeptical he replies "and how is that". I decided to be honest and tell him that it is an ex Soviet sniper rifle. He, still skeptical, replies "and how do you know?". So I first show him the serial number on the side and then the filled holes inside the receiver. At this point he starts to realize that unlike most my age I am not a complete idiot as far as firearms go but still seems surprised. I proceed to inform him that in the rifle's current state, it isn't worth a great deal more than a standard M91/30 but that I like them as re snipering projects. He replied "well you do realize that the mount and scope set ups for these are really expensive". I said "I sure do. I've got one just like this at home that Im planning to rescope". He, still surprised to be talking to an 18 year old with WWII firearm knowledge, joked (poorly) "you going to go play Enemy at the Gates?". I laughingly (and very slightly offended) replied "Nope, I collect these things".

At this point, he realized that I wasn't just some kid in there looking to buy the rifle of Vasily Zaitsev and decided to write my name down. One thing that has really surprised since turning 18 and even some when I was still 17 is the impression many older sellers have of the younger generation. Granted, the guy I talked to today was only in his twenties, he still shared the expectation that kids my age are only interested in the weapons featured in games like Counterstrike or Rainbow Six. With this in mind, It is always a lot of fun to surprise them a little.

BTW: Karl, anything you can do to help me find a Saiga 7.62x39mm in the 16" barrel version?

Last edited:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    In case anyone is interested I went to the TH Gander tonight to check out some things. I gave the 91/30s a good going over and they also have a 1933 dated hex reciever 91/30. Unfortunatley it was the roughest gun of the bunch there. Looks pretty warn, but hey, it was also the oldest and probably has some good history.

Top Bottom