• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SteveG66

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    1911 Smiths in Central IN?

Anybody know of a 1911 smith near Indianapolis? I have an ambidextrious safety and would like to go single sided. Also would like to get the rear sight drifted a bit. Thats just to start.
    I'm looking for someone that wont have it for too long.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help,
    Steve

Last edited:

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Whatever you do, don't go to Verne Trester! After having the gun for 9 months he destroyed a family heirloom (My fathers 1911 70's series Gold Cup) by cutting the frame. All he had to do was install a set of night sights and replace the sear because the hammer had started following the slide forward.

Now the slide won't rack with a mag in the gun, it shot over a foot low, and locks open with several rounds left in the mag when I got the gun from him. It's at Colt right now and they are trying to figure out what they can do with it. Legal action against this man is likely.

BEWARE!

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    When it comes to 1911's I would not trust mine to some one that I can not verifed his work, my only 1911 will my sons some day and for me while expensive I would use the Spriinfield custom shop for major work.

SteveG66

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Ouch, sorry to hear that about Vern. First complaint I've heard about his work.

Good luck with the remediation from Colt, perhaps they can get it back in order.

I agree with the sentiments about using a good smith, don't want to be taking a chance with an expensive tool.

I knew Russ's son did some work, but didn't know Russ did work. I will check with him as well.

Please elaborate on the Colt, I think inquiring minds want to know!!!1

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Whatever you do, don't go to Verne Trester! After having the gun for 9 months he destroyed a family heirloom (My fathers 1911 70's series Gold Cup) by cutting the frame. All he had to do was install a set of night sights and replace the sear because the hammer had started following the slide forward.

Now the slide won't rack with a mag in the gun, it shot over a foot low, and locks open with several rounds left in the mag when I got the gun from him. It's at Colt right now and they are trying to figure out what they can do with it. Legal action against this man is likely.

BEWARE!
    I know a guy that has been waiting patiently since February for Verne to do what is maybe a 2 hour job.. Not sure what is going on there but it doesn't sound good.

SteveG66

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Thanks all:

I think we have some pretty good choices, I have also received PM's from members as well.

So far we have:
    Russ from Elmores
    Darrels in Cayuga
    Ray Saltzman
    Verne Trester: he has worked on a Kimber I had, he was prompt and it worked fine after his time with it. Perhaps his move away from INDY has had an affect, I wish you all the best.
    Neil Keller

I think this is awesome, thanks for your help.

Top Bottom