• Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

1911 style pistol, built by me from an RIA.

Ammo is 185gn LSWC, BH of 18, loaded over a charge of 6.3gn W231 using Rem LPP. I am satisfied this load is a bit warm, but safe. Alternate load, however, is the same, using 5.6gn of W231.

COL is 1.250-1.256. The bullet is a long nose profile:

idp3.jpg

Out of 100 rounds, I have, on average, two failures to feed all the way. The rear of the case seems to hang on the breech face. Slapping the bottom of the mag will usually allow it to close, as will slapping the back of the slide with the heel of my weak hand.

This is my carry weapon, so everything's been stoned, deburred, whatnot, and the chamber has been lightly polished.

Feeding problems only happen within the last 25 rounds, when the pistol starts getting dirty. I have the recoil spring at 18.5# for carry and don't want to go heavier.

Extractor tension is about perfect. In fact, the case rim isn't even at the extractor when it hangs.

The problem is most prevalent with surplus magazines, but also showed itself with a Wilson (though this happened before I polished the chamber...)

It's almost as if the nose is catching on something in there when it's feeding, but the chamber is so smooth, there's nothing left for it to catch on. (I used 800 grit wet paper with a slight crosshatch to keep the expanded brass from sticking).

I adjust the rounds out to 1.270, problem totally disappears. That leads to unburned powder though, and I don't like that.

I don't recall if it did this with AA#7, though I seem to recall a couple malfs of this nature.

I've not tried any other brand of powder yet, due to lack of availability. Got the gunshop's last pound of 231 in fact.

Any thoughts here? The LSWC is not used for serious purposes, but could cost me an IDPA match if they hold them this summer. Past couple summers I placed 5th, then 3rd, and I want first on the local circuit.

FMJ and LRN feed perfectly all the time, any length, any magazine.

The only thing I've noticed at all is that some of the brass is a bit rough in the rear from multiple reloadings. I wouldn't think this would affect much though, as long as the breech face is smooth. Seems to stick more in the chamber, anyway, like the nose hits something and stops.

Can't reproduce the problem hand feeding.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Josh <><

Kingrat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Evansville
    just curious, have you tried different powders? maybe with the combination of burn rate and recoil the slide isnt coming back completely and is barely stripping the round off and hanging? ever think about getting a lb or two of a little faster/slower burning powder and trying it out?

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

I've thought about it, and went all over the other day looking for Unique, as it seems to have all the properties I want in a powder. No joy though; nobody has the stuff.

I'll instead switch back to the 23# hammer spring and 16lb recoil spring and see what happens, since I am not producing as much momentum as I would with the 230gn stuff.

Thanks,

Josh <><

Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Try some Bullseye,since lead bullets are about .001 larger in diameter it may be bulging the case slightly causing a tight chamber fit when the gun gets a little dirty. You might get a Lee Factory Carbide Crimp Die.This die will size and crimp the completed round closer to factory size.I use this die on all my .45acp rounds and don't have any problems whatsoever.Just an idea.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Recheck your OAL vs a couple manuals, Hodgdon's website says 1.195" for 185g LSWC. Also check you crimp dia.

Make certain you are fully sizing these cases and if you have new cases, try those, perhaps its time to toss the old ones, especially since you are overcharging these by almost a half grain according to Hodgdon.

FWIW, I think you're crazy for overcharging this round, for whatever reasoning you may have. Its your choice, but I won't ever share a shooting line with someone I think it reckless.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I believe the problem is with your cartridge OAL. 185 gr SWC cause problems for many 1911s and a lot of magazine's release point. You will have to load this round at an OAL that feeds whether it is longer or shorter than you think it should be. Most 1911s require an OAL considerably shorter than 1.250 when using a 185 SWC. I stopped using them many years ago and went to a 200 gr. SWC loaded at 1.255" Never had a feed problem once in 20 years with that setup. 185 SWCs are more trouble than they're worth IMO. All of this assumes that there are no problems with your gun that could cause feed issues.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    If after you remove the barrel from the gun and the loaded rounds will "plunk" into the chamber, your cartridges are probably ok for your gun. With .45 ACP semi-wadcutter bullets you seat the bullet so that the shoulder is just above (1/10" or less) the mouth of the case. Can you show me a photo of one of your loaded rounds?

As you apparently have suspected, magazines are usually the first thing to check when you have feeding problems. Your surplus magazines might have been someone else's problem. 1911 magazines usually have to be tuned to function well with SWC ammo. That being said, I've had good luck with out-of-the-box one piece Metalform magazines with the rounded follower.
    0.45 Caliber on Metalform Co., Inc.

I think if you take these three steps, your problems will disappear.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Recheck your OAL vs a couple manuals, Hodgdon's website says 1.195" for 185g LSWC. Also check you crimp dia.

Make certain you are fully sizing these cases and if you have new cases, try those, perhaps its time to toss the old ones, especially since you are overcharging these by almost a half grain according to Hodgdon.

FWIW, I think you're crazy for overcharging this round, for whatever reasoning you may have. Its your choice, but I won't ever share a shooting line with someone I think it reckless.

I believe the problem is with your cartridge OAL. 185 gr SWC cause problems for many 1911s and a lot of magazine's release point. You will have to load this round at an OAL that feeds whether it is longer or shorter than you think it should be. Most 1911s require an OAL considerably shorter than 1.250 when using a 185 SWC. I stopped using them many years ago and went to a 200 gr. SWC loaded at 1.255" Never had a feed problem once in 20 years with that setup. 185 SWCs are more trouble than they're worth IMO. All of this assumes that there are no problems with your gun that could cause feed issues.

If after you remove the barrel from the gun and the loaded rounds will "plunk" into the chamber, your cartridges are probably ok for your gun. With .45 ACP semi-wadcutter bullets you seat the bullet so that the shoulder is just above (1/10" or less) the mouth of the case. Can you show me a photo of one of your loaded rounds?

As you apparently have suspected, magazines are usually the first thing to check when you have feeding problems. Your surplus magazines might have been someone else's problem. 1911 magazines usually have to be tuned to function well with SWC ammo. That being said, I've had good luck with out-of-the-box one piece Metalform magazines with the rounded follower.
    0.45 Caliber on Metalform Co., Inc.

I think if you take these three steps, your problems will disappear.

:+1: X3

Top Bottom