• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Can't beat the 1911 design. It is still a fine combat handgun, albeit a tad on the "low capacity" side by today's standards. I would not feel under armed with a 1911 on my side though. JMHO.

Riflemen14

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 15, 2010
    Wells County
    I have an old Essex and Rock Island 1911's. Great pistols and run fine without issues time and time again. Great article thanks for posting. Love the history behind the pistol.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    You can read TONS of accounts of FTF and FTE events with 1911's on the internet...and from quality major manufacturers. Don't see 1/100th of the complaints of ANY other type of pistol. Facts-is-facts.

You forgot the purple!

There is nothing wrong with the 1911 design. The issue comes from the hundreds of manufacturers building them with varying levels of quality. If done well, the 1911 is as reliable as any other pistol out there. My personal experience has been fantastic with 1911s. While owning over a dozen over the years, I've had fewer issues with the bunch of them combined than I have had with the 8 or so Glocks I've owned. I had a G19 that too 150 rounds of running with a light recoil spring before it would cycle a whole mag reliably and then it spit brass into my face almost every round after that. Then there was the G29 that would not drop mags and had a trigger that did not always reset. My 1911s have ranged from a bare bones RIA Compact up to a sweet Ed Brown Executive and all have run well. Maybe I'm lucky.

Then again, I'm sure that your post was intended to stir up more 1911 love, so good on you for making a bunch of us dust off our memories regarding how good the 1911 is. :rockwoot:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have an old Essex and Rock Island 1911's. Great pistols and run fine without issues time and time again. Great article thanks for posting. Love the history behind the pistol.

I will admit the RIA's I have seen lately are fit up a lot better than a few years ago. I am sure the metallurgy is still left of center but I could be wrong.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    I have thoroughly enjoyed my 1911's. While I don't own any custom slab sides I haven't experienced any reliability issues either. Well, there was that lama. I don't but into the low round count idea much either. You can't miss fast enough so just shoot well first.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have thoroughly enjoyed my 1911's. While I don't own any custom slab sides I haven't experienced any reliability issues either. Well, there was that lama. I don't but into the low round count idea much either. You can't miss fast enough so just shoot well first.

I run a 10 round chip mag in my EDC's and home defense pieces unless deep conceal then w Wilson 48-D with a spare on board.
    Night stand piece has a spare mag next to it.

In any issue one might face in the real 16 rounds will cover it if you can actually shoot your sidearm.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I will admit the RIA's I have seen lately are fit up a lot better than a few years ago. I am sure the metallurgy is still left of center but I could be wrong.

I have to say I just purchased a Baby Rock for a BUG although not a true 1911, after an hour of cleaning and oiling, not sure what they ship them but my gosh. But at any rate it is very tight shoots very well one handed and is plenty accurate for its intended purpose. I also have a two flavor Ruger 1911"s and Sig Nightmare carry and it too has been very accurate, and reliable as anything else.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I want to say that I did not post this thread to set up a bash the 1911 forum! Just the opposite! No secret I`m a Glock guy, but I know full well how beloved the 1911 platform is, and I learned more about the mystique of the gun, and the reverence the pistol is held in. I posted the piece to honor and celebrate the contribution this wonderful platform has made to America, militarily and to the everyday people who love and cherish it.

Indian

NRA LIFE
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I like both my Glock 17 and my Springfield TRP. I however favor the Glock but that's just what I carry for my job and have more tactical training with. Thanks for the article I enjoyed it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I want to say that I did not post this thread to set up a bash the 1911 forum! Just the opposite! No secret I`m a Glock guy, but I know full well how beloved the 1911 platform is, and I learned more about the mystique of the gun, and the reverence the pistol is held in. I posted the piece to honor and celebrate the contribution this wonderful platform has made to America, militarily and to the everyday people who love and cherish it.

Oh no bashing in here. Not really. Opinions being exchanged. This is really tame by comparison to some of these threads.
    As several have mentioned it was a great post. I always enjoy our little oriental buddy and his comedy.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Everyone wants to be able to throw their pistol down in the sandbox, drag it through the river, drop it out of an airplane and blow it up with tannerite. Won't work after that? It must suck. Seriously, who does this crap? Weapons accidentally get dropped on rare occasions, and they get a little dirty in normal use. Take care of them and they will take care of you. Over the course of 30,000 rounds, yeah, you will see more maintenance out of a 1911. Who cares? Shoot what works for you and take care of it. I guarantee if you ever have to use it in anger, it will be a software problem that gets you killed, not a hardware problem *if* you have shot that particular gun and ammo combination enough to know it is reliable, and you have maintained it.

Wasn`t it just because Chuck Taylor wanted to highlight how this combat pistol, (Glock), was reliable even under the harshest conditions a warrior may encounter in combat? Certainly, any pistol should always be maintained properly, but if in combat there might not always be time to clean and lubricate the weapon adequately...

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I'm a Ruger fanboi, so I chose their 1911 as my first, and I love that gun! When our range gets up and running, I plan to broaden my horizons in the 1911 universe. I EDC a full size plastic gun for now, because it works best for me at the moment, but yeah, I have, for years, had a thing for 1911s.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Wasn`t it just because Chuck Taylor wanted to highlight how this combat pistol, (Glock), was reliable even under the harshest conditions a warrior may encounter in combat? Certainly, any pistol should always be maintained properly, but if in combat there might not always be time to clean and lubricate the weapon adequately...

I was just speaking in general. People make videos where they do stupid stuff to guns, and everyone says "that's why I carry a --------." Well, it shouldn't be. You should carry it because it is reliable in an EDC environment with your defense ammo of choice, and you shoot and operate it well in less than ideal circumstances.

Whatevrr you carry, if you're going to war in the desert, get good at malfunction drills.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm a Ruger fanboi, so I chose their 1911 as my first, and I love that gun! When our range gets up and running, I plan to broaden my horizons in the 1911 universe. I EDC a full size plastic gun for now, because it works best for me at the moment, but yeah, I have, for years, had a thing for 1911s.

We have the standing invite when this opens up so let me know and I will assail you with the sweet sweet goodness that is all things 1911.
    There will be some sweet CZ's in there as well.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    We have the standing invite when this opens up so let me know and I will assail you with the sweet sweet goodness that is all things 1911.
    There will be some sweet CZ's in there as well.
    I'm looking forward to it, buddy! We actually have completed the footers and block guy is supposed to be here this week, so it's actually moving forward! I was really getting tired of all the red tape and hoop jumping.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    So I own multiple glocks and no 1911's at the moment.

With that being said. Anyone who doesn't like a 1911 probably voted for Hilary Clinton

Top Bottom