• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • duboismd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Indy
    Just picked up nice a mil-spec on the site but it shoots very low. I'm looking for ideas on how to fix that issue. Read a lot about barrel bushings and am probably going to order one from Midway. Any other suggestions?

Also, I a have limited tool set - primarily just regular household tools and a dremel.

Anyone have suggestions/guidance/steps on how I can get a good fit?

I appreciate your help. Thanks

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Aim higher?:D

No just kidding. Mil spec? I suspect fixed sights, get a set of adjustable rear sights. That will be you best fix for shooting low. A barrel bushing will improve accuracy but I doubt it moves it up just more consistent. Plus it probably need fitted by a gunsmith.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    It could be you're not used to the trigger or are anticipating the recoil and tipping the gun down on accident. Either way I'd say practice trigger pull with a penny on the frt sight. Good luck and let us know what happens.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    It could be you're not used to the trigger or are anticipating the recoil and tipping the gun down on accident. Either way I'd say practice trigger pull with a penny on the frt sight. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Of course I am assuming he is applying the fundamentals.:D
    hotfarmboy has point, bench rest your pistol or have someone else shoot it to make sure it is shooting low.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I learned it the hard way after Jay showed me what I was doing wrong. Now I'm shooting alot more accurate and don't think its the gun like I thought before. Alot of the time just working on the fundamentals can make you more accurate.

duboismd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Indy
    Good and valid points. This is my 5th 1911 and I'm pretty good with the S&W1911PD and Kimber Custom II. Both Springfields are low for me. The mil-spec seems very low - multiple inches. Shooting at about 20 feet at a plastic lunch plate, it was nicking the bottom before raising the front white dot to make the sight picture look like a triangle. I didn't try shooting from a bench or braced. Regardless, it's an interesting problem to trouble shoot.

Any suggestions are welcome!

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    A close fitting barrel bushing is a good idea. The closer, the better unless it binds the barrel.

Do Not purchase a bushing from Midway. If you want a perfect fit without sending your firearm to a gunsmith, you can get the job done by purchasing a fitted bushing from EGW. You simply go to their web page and choose the bushing that best fits the look you want. You then measure the O.D of your barrel and the I.D. of your slide. These numbers can either be plugged into their web form or you can call EGW to talk to a rep to order your perfect bushing.

Good luck with your new 1911... Or should I say... Good luck kicking your 1911 addiction. :D

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I learned it the hard way after Jay showed me what I was doing wrong. Now I'm shooting alot more accurate and don't think its the gun like I thought before. Alot of the time just working on the fundamentals can make you more accurate.

That explains a lot...hanging out with Jay? Nothing but good can come from that!
    I shoot bullseye matches and often feel inferior to other competitors because of the money they have invested in their guns and equipment. So what I did is take that 30+year old Colt, bench rest it, shot a 5 shot group under 2 inches @ 25 yards and then taped it to my pistol box. Before each round of fire I look at that target and say yeah I got the gun no excuses. Score have gone up just from the confidence.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    The bushing would possibly tighten up the group, but it won't do dick for point of aim. Bench-fire it and if it truly shoots low without interference from the shooter, then change the sights. Shorter front is usually the easiest way to go.

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Won't hurt to get an EGW bushing as well. They'll help tighten those groups up pretty well (newer Springfield's tend to have a loose bushing fit on the cheaper models).

Other than that, file+ammo+front sight+cold blue will fix you up.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    it was nicking the bottom before raising the front white dot to make the sight picture look like a triangle. I didn't try shooting from a bench or braced. Regardless, it's an interesting problem to trouble shoot.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Who put the white dot sights on it? I just wonder if both front and rear sights are the proper height. The original mil-spec sights are pretty short, and it wouldn't take much extra height on the front sight to make it shoot fairly low.

duboismd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Indy
    Thanks for all the great advice! I did bench rest it yesterday and it was still shooting very low. Talked to Springfield and it's on the way there - under warranty, even though I'm the second owner (and they know it). The white dot sights are Springfield's and came on the gun. I really like the EGW bushing idea. After I get the Springer back, ordering one sounds like a good idea. gglass is right about my addiction for 1911's. This mil-spec is a beauty and I'm very happy with the trade. By past experience, I'm confident that Springfield will make it right. The advice you all gave me helped in the conversation with them and helped with my 1911 education. Thanks!

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    Who put the white dot sights on it? I just wonder if both front and rear sights are the proper height. The original mil-spec sights are pretty short, and it wouldn't take much extra height on the front sight to make it shoot fairly low.
    Mil-Specs come with the higher 3-dot sights, you might be thinking of the GI model, it was once called the WWII Mil-Spec.

Last edited:

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Mil-Specs come with the higher 3-dot sights, you might be thinking of the GI model, it was one called the WWII Mil-Spec.

You're right!! I wasn't thinking, and took "mil-spec" to be a description, rather than a model name.

It does bother me though that some companies name their products "mil spec" when they aren't

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    A properly fitted bushing will help with accuracy but is really only half of the problem. The rear lockup is the other half. The barrel must lock up exactly the same every time to achieve the best accuracy the barrel can deliver. Most stock Springfield barrels will give amazingly good accuracy when all of the play is removed from the front and rear locking surfaces. EGW is the easiest way to get a good fit if you don't have the tools to fit a bushing. Tell them the size of your barrel and your slide and they'll get you very close to what you need. They also offer a great selection of very high quality parts for reasonable prices and are very nice people to do business with. One of their best products is their oversized firing pin stop with a square edge bottom corner. It can be fit to your slide easily with a file and will lock your extractor in place so it can't rotate and greatly aid consistent ejection. It also delays the unlocking sequence without needing to use a heavy recoil spring to slow down slide velocity and makes the recoil impulse slower.

duboismd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Indy
    Thanks Drail. EGW sounds like a good company to do business with. Once the mil-spec is back I plan on checking them out. I have few other items that may benefit from EGW products!

Top Bottom