• ...and so much more!
  • TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    SE Indy
    I decided to stop at one of my favorite used gun shops on my way to work today to look at an early '70's S&W model 39-2 they have for sale. Before I had them pull it from the case so I could coon-finger it a bit, I noticed this older rifle sitting among several AR15's that seemed to be whispering "Look at me... Look at me...". So, I asked to look at it.

This is the only pic I took of it, and from the quick research I found after getting to work I believe it's a Mauser model 1904. They have it listed as a DWM 1904 6.5 caliber. I'm not at all knowledgeable about these firearms (I probably know enough to be dangerous) and was hoping I could get a little better insight into whether this old beauty would be worth purchasing. Numbers appear to match(?), but it does not have a sling, the guide rod, and no bayonet. Bolt seems to ride very smooth with no slop. From the markings, and what little I've researched so far, it's probably been reworked to a different caliber (based on research and markings over the '6.5'). I can only assume re-bored to 8mm... Have no idea when it was actually manufactured.

Given just the above info, should I walk away from the $330 discounted price I was given?

Please help me spend my money. Or help me save it. Either way, I can't take it with me when I go...

TIA

1904 mauser 02.jpg

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    SE Indy
    So it is 6.5 or 8mm and then which 8mm ?
    Research has gotten me far enough along to understand it was originally chambered in 6.5×58mm Vergueiro, but the markings across the 6.5 designation means it was re-chambered at some point to, most likely, 7.92×57mm Mauser (8mm Mauser).

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    SE Indy
    Portuguese Mauser Model 1904 in 6.5 X 58mm Vergueiro.
    Very special round developed specifically for the rifle.
    Google can be helpful.
    Yeah, I've got that much figured out, would just like to know if $300 to $350 is too high considering certain parts are missing (sling, guide rod, bayonet)

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I really know nothing about them but it doesn't seem you can go wrong for that price and if the availabilty of ammo suites you if you want to shoot it. First link has some history.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Research has gotten me far enough along to understand it was originally chambered in 6.5×58mm Vergueiro, but the markings across the 6.5 designation means it was re-chambered at some point to, most likely, 7.92×57mm Mauser (8mm Mauser).
    Early bullet diameters (chamber) were smaller, 318 diameter. Later bullets (chamber) were 323 diameter. I am fuzzy on the transition.

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    SE Indy
    Early bullet diameters (chamber) were smaller, 318 diameter. Later bullets (chamber) were 323 diameter. I am fuzzy on the transition.

I'll find out soon enough. Put it in layaway today, and also picked up an early/mid 70's S&W model 39-2 while there, which is what I originally went to look at Friday.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    That's a good price,....you don't see those around much anymore. I liked them enough to buy half a dozen during the short time they were being imported back in the '90's.

They were originally 6.5x58 but back in 1939 Portugal started standardizing on the 8x57 Mauser round buying MG34s and KAR98s from Germany. They took all their old Vergueiros and rebored them to 8x57(standard modern .323 bore)and evidently put them into reserve storage because every one of them I've seen has had a pristine bore. The action is very little Mauser and much more Mannlicher in design although it uses the Mauser 5-rd staggered magazine(with a nice hinged floorplate). They are smooth. They shoot very well and have a very good sight picture unlike most milsurps of the day(I think they installed updated sights with the caliber conversion). It's a good thing the sights are so good because the Mannlicher style split bridge makes the guns near impossible to scope.

They didn't have slings on them when imported which also makes me think they came straight out of storage. Have never seen a bayo for one either although I'm sure they exist. I think a standard KAR98 cleaning rod will fit.

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    SE Indy
    Thanks for all the replies, guys, I appreciate it. Learned a lot over the past couple days.

Since I don't have it fully in my possession yet, I'll only upload one pic. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll be bringing it home (and then taking it to a qualified gunsmith), and will post more photos in the appropriate thread. Until then...

DWM 1904 - 02.jpg

Top Bottom