• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    I never added either of my two kids on my insurance. They lived with me and I loaned them a car when they needed one. My son did have an accident (rear ended, not his fault) and I was asked by my insurance about providing coverage for him. I told them it is the vehicle that is insured, not the driver. I told them I couldn't get/buy insurance for every driver I loan my car to. Either the car is insured, or the driver is. I have never purchased insurance for a driver. Maybe I was just lucky nothing ever got litigated. My insurance did pay for the damage because the other driver was un-insured.

My wife and I divorced and separated for a year or two, then got back together, and both our insurance companies tried to have us under one insurance umbrella because we lived together. Neither could explain multiple room mate living arrangements and separate insurance policies. They both relented. To this day, we still carry insurance from separate carriers.
    So I was just actually arguing that idea about the car being insured not the driver with my agent, they weren’t having it. I’m now shopping around to see if anything is cheaper.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I never added either of my two kids on my insurance. They lived with me and I loaned them a car when they needed one. My son did have an accident (rear ended, not his fault) and I was asked by my insurance about providing coverage for him. I told them it is the vehicle that is insured, not the driver. I told them I couldn't get/buy insurance for every driver I loan my car to. Either the car is insured, or the driver is. I have never purchased insurance for a driver. Maybe I was just lucky nothing ever got litigated. My insurance did pay for the damage because the other driver was un-insured.

My wife and I divorced and separated for a year or two, then got back together, and both our insurance companies tried to have us under one insurance umbrella because we lived together. Neither could explain multiple room mate living arrangements and separate insurance policies. They both relented. To this day, we still carry insurance from separate carriers.
    If it is a relatively minor claim, it may not make sense for the insurer to cost itself more money by fighting, possibly a lawsuit and losing a customer.

However, I have seen the "same household" exclusion litigated in cases where there were significant injuries at issue, more than once, and I have not seen the insurer lose when that clause is present.

Top Bottom