12 gauge, low recoil, does it make a difference?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    Im looking at some LE low recoil buckshot, but im wondering if it really does make a difference, or will it basically be the same as the Remington buckshot at dicks or wallyworld? my remington 870 HD kicks hard even with field loads, so any reduction would be nice, esp for the wife

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    in my experience the low recoil/reduced recoil loads are softer shooting than the same load from the same manufacturer. iow, rem sluggers vs rem reduced recoil slugs.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I think they do. But, when I'm behind the gun during competition I can tell you that I don't notice the recoil or report. If I am just shooting, I notice but the bottom line is that they both kick.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I read a report that was testing 12 gauge shotguns ballistically at "in home" ranges (30' or less)

they showed that the Reduced recoil rounds through a 18" barrel kept a tighter pattern than standard, and a much tighter pattern than magnum loads.

I don't know if the recoil reduction is as big of a deal as a tighter group of 00.
    Either way..... at 30' most shot is pretty bad for people.

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    You might try a slip-on Limbsaver pad (fits over the stock) to reduce recoil . Mine seems to help. I think they are $19 at walmart.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    IME, the reduced recoil loads are definitely easier on the shoulder than the full-power stuff. I keep Federal LE133 00 (reduced recoil 8-pellet 00 w/ Flite Control) in the house gun and practice with the less expensive reduced recoil 00 (Wolf, Estate, Fiocchi, etc).

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    IME, the reduced recoil loads are definitely easier on the shoulder than the full-power stuff. I keep Federal LE133 00 (reduced recoil 8-pellet 00 w/ Flite Control) in the house gun and practice with the less expensive reduced recoil 00 (Wolf, Estate, Fiocchi, etc).

shooter521, were do you get your reduced recoil loads?

Top Bottom