• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    One additional note: When working with women who are new to shooting, be sure to focus on safety first and shooting instruction second. Avoid nitpicking and constant correction if she is being safe with the firearm. Remember that no one is going to be Annie Oakley on their first time out.

Huh? I don't get why they had to toss this in on the end, I'm not going to nitpick at a brand new male shooter either, are women some special creature that can't take instruction though? Do they not want to become proficient shooters?

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Great tips! Especially like the one about not preaching politics when at the range; there's plenty of time for that afterwards.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Watching the generals' reactions when he started the sweep

I could hear General Park's colon clench when he saw the business end of Great Leader's pistol at his own sensitive areas.

If General Park was shot in the nads, he would be the first NORK General shot in the front of the body.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Not nitpicking - the list is great, but one thing I have always done for a first time shooter is to load one (1) round into a firearm to let them shoot. I have seen people get very excited and sweep people after firing a round. The last thing I want to see is a fully loaded handgun or rifle in an excited in-experienced persons hands sweeping anyone - especially with the safety off! After a few rounds, when you know for sure how they will respond, then load er up and let them have fun!

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    When I take a new shooter out, I like to set up the targets (paper targets) closer than I would normally do for myself. Maybe only 3 to 5 yards out. It quickly builds their confidence to see shots on paper, as opposed to regularly missing a target that's 7 to 10 yards away. Before the session is over, they're usually asking for the target to be set back further.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    A good idea that I picked up from years of dealing with kids is to not extend the training for too long. Even the best experience can get wearying, and you want them to leave the range with the most positive attitude possible.

If they are still wanting to continue shooting when you call it quits then you know that you have a 2nd time out at the range already open to them. The 1st time opens the door, the 2nd range trip seals the deal for most people.

Works for adults too.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Here is a list of quick tips that I compiled from some posts here and on a few of the other forums. Most are pretty obvious, but I wanted to see if anyone else had ideas on how to sell our passion to others.

10 Quick Tips to Consider when Taking New Shooters to the Range | Modern Rifleman

Let me know what comes to mind for you and by all means, share some of your recent experiences!
    I have found that a training session with unloaded firearms, before the trip to the range, is very useful. Often, I use air guns to help the students to develop marksmanship and muzzle awareness, as well as, reinforcing safety practices. I stress finger off the trigger and muzzle awareness at all times. I also think it is valuable to have the students load only one round at a time for the first few rounds. This familiarizes them with the mechanics of the firearm and reinforces the techniques of the operation of the firearm.

ncthorn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Huh? I don't get why they had to toss this in on the end, I'm not going to nitpick at a brand new male shooter either, are women some special creature that can't take instruction though? Do they not want to become proficient shooters?

That bit of feedback was actually suggested by someone who shared a recent range experience with me. The idea is that guys can often be overbearing when trying to get women into guns, especially if the guy has no prior experience teaching new shooters. I think several of us have seen the boyfriend/husband at the range who has absolutely bombarded his SO with information and advice while shooting.

I edited it to more accurately express what I am trying to get across. Thanks for the feedback.

ETA: After really thinking about that part, I decided to remove it as #10 covers my main point.

Top Bottom