• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Punkinhead

Sharpshooter
    Jun 8, 2012
    I just picked one of these up to have as a squirrel gun when out exploring the dirt roads on a dualsport bike. I'm curious if anyone has shown up at an Appleseed with one. They don't lend themselves very well to adding a sling mount to the butt stock - I suppose I'll just screw one into the plastic and hope for the best. I'm debating whether to use a barrel band type front sling mount or screw one into the plastic or the fore end with some kind of backer. I'm also wondering how well the zero repeats with assembly/disassembly. I expect the stock sights would re-zero well since they're on the barrel, but I'm wondering how receiver mounted sights or scope mounts will do?

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Nov 16, 2010
    There was a thread about them on the appleseed forum recently. Some people loved them, some hated them. The consensus seemed to be that the barrel nut needed to be tightened down more than what Ruger specified. Scopes didn't give people too many issues, nobody talked about tech sights so I can't help with those.

lucky4034

Master
    Jan 14, 2012
    I watched a lady use a takedown on day one at the Appleseed and she was not happy scoring in the 130's.... I just assumed she wasn't the shot she thought she was.

Later that night she went home... set up a 25yd target... cleaned all million of her .22lr rifles and then tested which one she wanted to bring on Sunday. She got to Sunday morning muster boisterous that she was now ready to "go".

She settled on some badass looking Buckmark .22lr carbine and then shot like a 230.

After that, I decided i'd wait awhile on a takedown.

Punkinhead

Sharpshooter
    Jun 8, 2012
    The consensus seemed to be that the barrel nut needed to be tightened down more than what Ruger specified. /QUOTE]That's what I found. My first range outing I was getting a lot of fliers and the POI would move 2" after breakdown/assembly. I took it to the range again yesterday and tightened the barrel nut until the barrel wouldn't go on then backed off one click. I also (per Ruger's instructions) slingshotted the bolt a half dozen times after assembly. I'm not sure that really matters as much as proper barrel nut tension. I mounted a scope then shot 4 groups, breaking down (including removing the scope) and reassembling the gun between each group. It retained zero perfectly and the groups were as good or better than any of my other 10/22s.

Since it re-zeroed with a scope I'm confident that a receiver mounted peep sight like the Tech Sights will also re-zero so I'll order a set for this gun. The big issue is the lack of a good way to add a swivel stud to the buttstock. Ruger really messed up on that one. I've pried the butt plate off regular synthetic 10/22 stocks to add a backer inside to hold a stud, but that doesn't look possible with this stock. I'm going to try a VTAC sling adaptor. If that doesn't work I'll just screw a stud into the buttstock and hope it doesn't pull out.

jeepfreek

Marksman
    Feb 16, 2012
    Yes the locking nut for the barrel must be tightened down. I chased flying shots all over the place and I thought the locking nut was ok. I tightened it a little more and now she zero's all day long when assembled. I leave the scope attached while in the bag as well and no issues since I got it tight enough.

Top Bottom