• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    My uncle gave me a 10/22 years ago. I think it was for my 15th or 16th birth day. Anyways I started out with a stock Ruger like this one. I was working at an under 21 nightclub called "Hots" off of West Washington Street until they closed it down. I saved up my money and bought new parts and accessories for it every chance I had.
    13L.jpg

I upgraded all the internals, added a red dot, Volquartsen weighted barrel, Butler Creek folding stock and 25rd mags. I thought the weighted barrel looked like a silencer, I wish i would have just bought a bull barrel. I think the barrel cost more than the gun. Oh well.
    DSC01271.jpg

Once I turned 21 I kinda lost interest in the 10/22. I had a better paying job so I started buying handguns, rifles and shot guns. I had a Bushmaster AR that was my new baby and couldn't afford to shoot it anymore so I sold it and I'm back to the basics.
    DSC01598.jpg

Here it is with my new UTG quad rail. Its an awesome upgrade at only $40. The handguard was not compadible with my Butler Creek stock so I had to modify the stock a little. I had to chop the front of the stock off where the barrel clamp is suppose to go.
    DSC01599.jpg

Since this is a 22 and I'm trying to keep the prices down, I was thinking that maybe some cheap clone flip-up sights and a clone EOtech perhaps... Anyone have any experience with a fake EOtech? I cant justify putting a real one on this budget fun gun.

Still a work in progress, comment and suggestions welcome.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    155   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    same idea

I just finished putting a 10/2 together with the quad rail also. All I did to get the quad rail to fit on the BC folder was sand a little down to decrease the the diameter and it fit fine. I added a tri-rail with a 30mm red dot on top to clear the protector pads, have a front handgrip that pops out to create a bipod and a flashlight mounted on the side. I also had a flash hider that had been laying around that is about 6 inches long. I was hoping to bring it to FNS and shoot it in the match in Sept. and was also wanting to show it to you since we had talked about them in July. Seems we are thinking alike in creating our cheap shooting versions of the dreaded black gun.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Yea, I thought about sanding it but didnt have sandpaper at the time and didnt want to wait. I pulled out my Leatherman Wave multi-tool and started at the stock with the saw blade. Worked like a charm. I also left out the top barrel spacer so it looks like a free-floating barrel. I had to use the rubber squares to support the barrel since I chopped the end of the stock off. I think it looks good though. You have any pics of that little black rifle?

Joe

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Thanks for the link. Other than buying one which is a complete POS out of the box, I wont have to worry about recoil messing it up. I don't have any experience with the clones though so I don't know which ones are and are not the POS's. Its just a risk I'm going to have to take buying it i guess. I would also like to get some flip-ups of it in case the optics do in fact fail. Anyone have any experience with any off brand flip-ups? This gun is just for plinking, I don't intend on using for a HD weapon.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Sounds good. I think I will be able to make it to the next FNS. Hopefully I can get some kind of sights on ruger before the match. I also need to get some more mags. I think it was you that told me to soak my Butler Creek mags in hot soapy water to clean them right? Well I did and I scrubbed all the carbon off of them too. I haven't had a chance to shoot try them out yet but hopefully they will work better this next shoot.

I can't wait to see your "assault rifle". About the rail guards, do you like them? I like the feel but not the look. Your's sounds pretty cool though. Where did you get the vertical grip/bi-pod? I've seen some on ebay but don't know if they are any good or not.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    155   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    should work

Soapy water should work but with the hot lips mags you just never know. I have some steel lip butler creek mags I can bring and you can use if you want. Just let me know. I have several but just don't use them very often.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Thanks! If all else fails I'll just shoot my Glock.

Soapy water should work but with the hot lips mags you just never know. I have some steel lip butler creek mags I can bring and you can use if you want. Just let me know. I have several but just don't use them very often.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Buffer question

I have a buffer that is steel with a rubber sleeve, are there better buffers out there? Does it even matter that much?
    bolt_buffer_sm.jpg

Would a “Polyurethane” or polymer Buffer be better?

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    155   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    buffer

I use a blot buffer made out of orange urethane belting. A company called Weaponkraft was selling them but the guy got sick. There are others out there but this stuff seems to work well. If you want to try this stuff I will bring you one. I am still planning on attending FNS.

Top Bottom