• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Donna and I decided we really needed to make some lifestyle changes. We decided to see what the fitness centers in the area offered. We started with the closest one: Lifetime Fitness in Fishers. We parked and walked toward the front door. As we approached the door we saw in large print: "Lifetime Fitness bans firearms on these premises."

We did a 180 and went back to the car. I called and asked for a manager and was told there was not one available. The lady on the phone asked if I wanted to leave a message. I told her their posted policy on firearms had just cost them a family membership, and I would be publishing such on multiple firearm friendly web sites with tens of thousands of members. She laughed. I hung up.

Then we drove across the I69 bridge to LA Fitness, also in Fishers. I open carried my EMP and a spare mag. We were greeted and actually handed off to the manager. He gave us the nickle tour and the typical presentation. As we got down to brass tacks I said before we go any further I need to know your policy on firearms. He told me their policy was to abide by the constitution and laws of the state, and that he carries a Ruger LCP himself. (He DID NOT indicate that he was carrying at the time or that he ever carried at work. It didn't come up) I told him how relieved we were and how refreshing it was to find a business that had common sense in regards to personal safety. I did tell him Donna and I would most likely not open carry during workouts and he just shrugged and smiled as if it didn't matter.

I LOVE being able to spend my hard earned money with businesses that are 2A friendly or at least common sense neutral.

:yesway: To LA Fitness!

:noway: to that "other" place!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    That's how we need to do it, man, though Lifetime may need to be fed back higher up the food chain, to make them truly aware.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Don't forget to email a photo of your LA Fitness membership cards to Lifetime's corporate.

I used to be a member at lifetime in other states and never once saw such a sign, so I wonder if it's just the location or if they've taken a new policy up.

nirol

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    BTW, FWIW LA Fitness is in the process of purchasing some or all of Lifestyle and a few Lifetimes. According to their website they secured the Florida clubs...not sure if they're buying the IN clubs too, or if/when the firearms policy of LA Fitness will be transferred.

All of that aside, I've been a member of all three clubs (Lifetime, Lifestyle, and LA Fitness), and overall I prefer the LA Fitness.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Any knowledge of the firearms policy of Anytime Fitness? I don't have a Lifetime Fitness, LA Fitness, or Lifestyle Fitness in Terre Haute, but there are two Anytime Fitness locations.

I belong to the one in Speedway, and to my knowledge, they don't have an anti-firearm policy, or at least it's not posted anywhere.

I exercise there with a P3AT in my pocket.

Davis0023

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    NorthCentral Indiana
    When I used to use LAF. I would very decreetly place my little 380 in the lock boxes by the front desk with my phone and keys. a couple of the works knew me and kept an extra eye just in case, but they were always good to me in the repsects to not giving any issues. Thanks for the info!

DadOfFour

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Any knowledge of the firearms policy of Anytime Fitness? I don't have a Lifetime Fitness, LA Fitness, or Lifestyle Fitness in Terre Haute, but there are two Anytime Fitness locations.

I'm a member, walked in with a 45 OC on my hip when I went to check them out, nobody batted an eye. I've OC'd multiple times when going in there (change and lock my gun in a locker) and never had a problem.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I was going to start a thread on this but searched first so here goes...

I am a member at LA Fitness and was wondering about their weapons policy when I found this blog post:

To Which I Replied...: This just in: LA Fitness has a "no weapons" policy, even for CCW holders

which was made not long after this event:

2009 Collier Township shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So I called my local club and the person answering the phone didn't know what their policy was! She deferred to her GM and asked me to call back in about 10 minutes. Edit forthcoming.

EDIT #1: I called another LA Fitness and they said it's corporate policy, no weapons. I'm still trying to get an answer from my local club (Eagle Creek area).

EDIT #2: They gave me the run around for a couple of hours before also telling me no weapons is their corporate policy.

Last edited:

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Post the phone number here to the lifetime fitness that isn't gun friendly here... maybe when a few of us have a little free time we can call and speak to the management. If they have an employee who doesn't like guns and has an attitude then mention her also. Several squeaky wheels can't go unnoticed.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Well, LA Fitness' official corporate policy is indeed no weapons allowed. Not that I give a flying ****, I'm carrying in there anyway. But I will tag them as GFZ and tell them I did it.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i recently started going back to la fitness and havent seen any signs posted anywhere. unless the babysitting area is licensed as a daycare, then concealed means concealed.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    NIFS Indianapolis Fitness Center | Indianapolis Gyms | Sports Training | Fitness is gun friendly.

So gun friendly in fact that they helped taylor a workout routine to get me into better shape and work on what is needed for shooting. So if you were there over the winter at 6:30am on Tuesdays and thursdays and saw a guy running sprints and drawing a blue gun that was me.

also they have separate "High security" lock boxes you can use for free to secure it more than just a standard locker during your workout.

Top Bottom