• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    North Indy
    I was coming home from a date last night when I made two consecutive poor choices while at a stoplight. A trooper was behind me and stopped me, and I was in an unusual position as a result of my date. I chose to leave my pistol in the glovebox because I was going into a bar and would possibly be sitting next to (read: up against) this woman so I didn't want to have the gun conversation on the first date (although it did end up happening and went well anyway). Normally I never leave guns in my car because I don't want bad people getting ahold of them, and I want to have my gun if I need it. Simple enough. But of all nights to make the decision to lay it on my registration in my glovebox, it was the night I unexpectedly got stopped. I knew there was no way around announcing it, so I was up front about it. I simply said "Here is my License, and as for my registration, I have a situation. Here is my License to Carry a Handgun, and I have a pistol in my glovebox with my registration. I don't want to do anything here that makes you uncomfortable."

He instructed me to step out of the car, unlock my doors, stand at the left front wheel, and keep my hands visible. He removed the pistol and handled it very safely, checked my credentials, and returned my pistol to me when we were finished.

For all of the bad experiences I've heard about relating to traffic stops and LTCH, I have to say that, for the situation I created, I think the trooper acted reasonably, respectfully, and he even said some very pro-2A/self defense things that made me feel like he looked favorably on my exercising my rights. In fact, he asked me why I wasn't wearing it. ISP has trained him well and he conducted himself so well that I intend to send some positive words towards the ranks at ISP, I'm not sure how to go about that but I think he handled our interaction and the presence of a weapon in an exemplary way, and he cut me a lot of slack and just wrote me a warning. I hope I conducted myself in a way that also helped support his good faith in responsible LTCH holders.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    THISGONBGUD.gif

:popcorn:

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    I was coming home from a date last night when I made two consecutive poor choices while at a stoplight. A trooper was behind me and stopped me, and I was in an unusual position as a result of my date. I chose to leave my pistol in the glovebox because I was going into a bar and would possibly be sitting next to (read: up against) this woman so I didn't want to have the gun conversation on the first date (although it did end up happening and went well anyway). Normally I never leave guns in my car because I don't want bad people getting ahold of them, and I want to have my gun if I need it. Simple enough. But of all nights to make the decision to lay it on my registration in my glovebox, it was the night I unexpectedly got stopped. I knew there was no way around announcing it, so I was up front about it. I simply said "Here is my License, and as for my registration, I have a situation. Here is my License to Carry a Handgun, and I have a pistol in my glovebox with my registration. I don't want to do anything here that makes you uncomfortable."

He instructed me to step out of the car, unlock my doors, stand at the left front wheel, and keep my hands visible. He removed the pistol and handled it very safely, checked my credentials, and returned my pistol to me when we were finished.

For all of the bad experiences I've heard about relating to traffic stops and LTCH, I have to say that, for the situation I created, I think the trooper acted reasonably, respectfully, and he even said some very pro-2A/self defense things that made me feel like he looked favorably on my exercising my rights. In fact, he asked me why I wasn't wearing it. ISP has trained him well and he conducted himself so well that I intend to send some positive words towards the ranks at ISP, I'm not sure how to go about that but I think he handled our interaction and the presence of a weapon in an exemplary way, and he cut me a lot of slack and just wrote me a warning. I hope I conducted myself in a way that also helped support his good faith in responsible LTCH holders.

Alright, I am actually going to dissect this one. You were in a pinch with the gun being in the glove box, and were right to inform, HOWEVER, the officer DID NOT handle himself the way he should have. After you mentioned that you had a VALID LTCH, all further question about your weapon SHOULD HAVE ENDED according to State Vs. Richardson. He took it too far. You may have been in a good mood after your date, and didn't want to school this guy on your rights, or maybe you didn't know them, at any rate, you should not have let him remove your gun from your vehicle, DO NOT CONSENT to search or seizure, and you did both.

Now, that is what MOST of the INGO crowd will say. I am usually on this boat, but something about this story doesn't anger me as much. It sounds to me like the officer was VERY polite with you, didn't freak out, and was just making sure your weapon was legal. Your story makes me think you got pulled over by one of those officers who "thinks" it's protocol to do this. Now, do I agree with it, NO, but it does sound like BECAUSE you cooperated, that you got let off with a warning and you were able to enjoy the rest of your night. Win for you right? Just walk away from this event KNOWING that you got had. The officer had no right to do what he did, but you let him do it. I'm not saying this was a negative experience, FAR from it, I'm just letting you know, next time something like this happens, you may not be as lucky with the officer you get.

Next time, you may get assaulted by one of those many JBT INGO is always talking about:shady:

Last edited:

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Alright, I am actually going to dissect this one. You were in a pinch with the gun being in the glove box, and were right to inform, HOWEVER, the officer DID NOT handle himself the way he should have. After you mentioned that you had a VALID LTCH, all further question about your weapon SHOULD HAVE ENDED according to State Vs. Richardson. He took it too far. You may have been in a good mood after your date, and didn't want to school this guy on your rights, or maybe you didn't know them, at any rate, you should not have let him remove your gun from your person, DO NOT CONSENT to search or seizure, and you did both.

Now, that is what MOST of the INGO crowd will say. I am usually on this boat, but something about this story doesn't anger me as much. It sounds to me like the officer was VERY polite with you, didn't freak out, and was just making sure your weapon was legal. Now, do I agree with it, NO, but it does sound like BECAUSE you cooperated, that you got let off with a warning and let you enjoy the rest of your night. Just walk away from this event KNOWING that you got had. The officer had no right to do what he did, but you let him do it. I'm not saying this was a negative experience, FAR from it, I'm just letting you know, next time something like this happens, you may not be as lucky with the officer you get.

You may get assaulted by one of those many JBT INGO is always talking about:shady:
    Don't forget that after the OP was removed from the car his date was left unsecured, inside with a loaded firearm. How in the name of all thats Holy does removing the driver while leaving an armed passenger inside the vehicle make the officer any safer? Under the circumstances I think the OP handled this about as well as he could. IMO the officer failed his situational awareness pop quiz.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Don't forget that after the OP was removed from the car his date was left unsecured, inside with a loaded firearm. How in the name of all thats Holy does removing the driver while leaving an armed passenger inside the vehicle make the officer any safer? Under the circumstances I think the OP handled this about as well as he could. IMO the officer failed his situational awareness pop quiz.

I may be mistaken, but i was under the impression that his date was no longer in the vehicle. I could be totally wrong though.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I may be mistaken, but i was under the impression that his date was no longer in the vehicle. I could be totally wrong though.
    That could be. That would make the most sense to me. Remove and secure all of the occupants and then retrieve the required documents. Absent any extenuating circumstances, there would still be no lawful reason to remove, inspect, unload, or otherwise coonfinger the OP's firearm. In fact, once the occupants were removed if the officer did any of the above he would seem to in violation of Washington v State.

Fedempl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    McCordsville
    You did the right thing, otherwise it could have turned nasty real quick. When I had my situation with the ISP I sent my letter to the the Superintendent. The address is in their web site. I also received a response thanking me for the positive response. They will also inform the officer of your letter.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    You did the right thing, otherwise it could have turned nasty real quick. When I had my situation with the ISP I sent my letter to the the Superintendent. The address is in their web site. I also received a response thanking me for the positive response. They will also inform the officer of your letter.
    this.....with your firearm laying on your registration and refusing to let the officer simply retrieve the registration would have landed you a $130 fine for failure to provide registration ( or something similar) and if I was the officer I wouldn't want someone I didn't know messing with a loaded firearm to get to the registration, to many chances for a ND in my own opinion,...correct me if I'm wrong but its just my opinion.

Magnum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    North Indy
    Alright, I am actually going to dissect this one. You were in a pinch with the gun being in the glove box, and were right to inform, HOWEVER, the officer DID NOT handle himself the way he should have. After you mentioned that you had a VALID LTCH, all further question about your weapon SHOULD HAVE ENDED according to State Vs. Richardson. He took it too far. You may have been in a good mood after your date, and didn't want to school this guy on your rights, or maybe you didn't know them, at any rate, you should not have let him remove your gun from your vehicle, DO NOT CONSENT to search or seizure, and you did both.

Now, that is what MOST of the INGO crowd will say. I am usually on this boat, but something about this story doesn't anger me as much. It sounds to me like the officer was VERY polite with you, didn't freak out, and was just making sure your weapon was legal. Your story makes me think you got pulled over by one of those officers who "thinks" it's protocol to do this. Now, do I agree with it, NO, but it does sound like BECAUSE you cooperated, that you got let off with a warning and you were able to enjoy the rest of your night. Win for you right? Just walk away from this event KNOWING that you got had. The officer had no right to do what he did, but you let him do it. I'm not saying this was a negative experience, FAR from it, I'm just letting you know, next time something like this happens, you may not be as lucky with the officer you get.

Next time, you may get assaulted by one of those many JBT INGO is always talking about:shady:

Exactly, you nailed it. I knew my rights but I recognized I created a bad decision so I decided to play it in the way that would be mostly likely to have a positive outcome. After he said ISP I felt like I would probably be experiencing someone more professional than the small town volunteers that make the threads here. There were a lot of factors at work but my objective was for him and I to both feel safe, and I let that guide my conduct. Maybe I did just get really lucky, but if there were ever a situation that called for disclosure this was it. I could have tried to grab my registration really quick before he got to my window, but do I really want to risk him being a fast mover and me having my hand on a gun as he gets to my window? Or at best, he sees a lot of movement as he sits there and it makes him nervous? I learned many many lessons all at once and I will say it's a situation I will be sure doesn't happen again.

Magnum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    North Indy

She and I drove separately, I was in the car alone.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    As I understand things, once you are removed from your vehicle, there really isn't a reason for the officer to remove your firearm. Also, he doesn't need to see your registration. He can get that info from his computer.

Magnum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    North Indy
    Actually I had the same question... ;)

Yes I did, it's tomorrow night :D. She couldn't wait to see me again. She was totally cool about guns, I got there by way of discussing training and Mindset Lab and she thought it was totally awesome. She just might be a keeper- and future student :yesway:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    this.....with your firearm laying on your registration and refusing to let the officer simply retrieve the registration would have landed you a $130 fine for failure to provide registration ( or something similar)
    Which likely would be dropped by the judge in court when you presented such registration. I've 'refused to provide registration' before because I forgot to put it in the glove box and had no issues when I went to court after finding it. "Was the vehicle registered?" "Yes sir, I had simply forgotten where I placed the documentation." "Ok, I'll dismiss this ticket - have a nice day."

Maybe I got lucky?

and if I was the officer I wouldn't want someone I didn't know messing with a loaded firearm to get to the registration
    You mean to say you're more familiar with their weapon than they are?

That said, why is it that we actually have to provide the little registration paper - does it provide you something you cannot get from your computer when you run the plates? I realize it has the VIN on it - so I could see the necessity if the plates didn't match or the VIN was defaced/damaged.

to many chances for a ND in my own opinion,...correct me if I'm wrong but its just my opinion.
    Too many chances for an ND when somebody unfamiliar with the weapon handles it. That said it's best if nobody handles a firearm whenever possible.

Top Bottom