• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Hit a deer on the way home tonight. That makes 3 times in 10 years. The last one I hit in "a County south of Morgan Co." was a major ordeal at 5 AM. The deputy didn't want to be bothered to complete a police report for a car/deer collision and seemed pissed that I wanted one. He looked at my truck and said it's not worth writing it up. Really....? Glad I insisted as that one ran north of $2800 and my insurance company wanted a police report. The Morgan Co. deputy came out this evening, was very polite, patient, concerned and completed the paper work quickly.

Thank you Morgan Co. Sheriff's department for your professional service.

Dirty Steve

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    No feasting. This was the first one I've hit that the old Chevy didn't kill and I was probably going faster this time than the other times. The worst part was that it was a really nice buck, maybe 140" with a drop tine. In the split second I had to slam on the breaks I though, man, that's a nice buck, I'm going to ask for a temporary transportation tag. Then it bounced off the front end, we both went off in a hay field, it got up and ran about 1/2 mile across the field and into a standing corn field.

I was most impressed with the professional manner of the deputy. I know this wasn't high on the law enforcement priority list, but he completed everything quickly and was very polite.

Dirty Steve

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Sorry to hear, its never fun hitting a deer, and even worse when you didnt even get a good dinner out of it.
    Hopefully your next one will be taken with a bow or firearm, not your truck.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    No feasting. This was the first one I've hit that the old Chevy didn't kill and I was probably going faster this time than the other times. The worst part was that it was a really nice buck, maybe 140" with a drop tine. In the split second I had to slam on the breaks I though, man, that's a nice buck, I'm going to ask for a temporary transportation tag. Then it bounced off the front end, we both went off in a hay field, it got up and ran about 1/2 mile across the field and into a standing corn field.

I was most impressed with the professional manner of the deputy. I know this wasn't high on the law enforcement priority list, but he completed everything quickly and was very polite.

Dirty Steve

If you can, head back out towards that corn field to see if you can stumble over it.

Or at least see if you can locate the owner/leasee of the land to see if you can poke around...just for photos! Also to give a head's up when they cut the corn; can't imagine a buck like that would do a combine any good. :D

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    I'm glad you are ok. I hit one once, did 6000.00 damage to a 98 F-150. Bent the bumper, antler impression in hood, grill was toast, along with the radiator support.
    Never did find the deer. My buddies said it is still in orbit! I wasn't hurt either.

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    Call Sheriff Bob Downey, a super guy himself, and give that deputy some kudos. Cops always seem to gather complaints, some warranted-most not, but few attaboys. Public service means alot to Downey and he will appreciate hearing kind words. His office number is 765-342-1080.

Side note on Sheriff Downey. I recently talked with a coon hunter who had a landowner steal the tracking collars off his dog. He knew where the collar was as this totally anti-hunter resident had failed to deactivate the collar after taking it off the animal. Since it was late, the hunter did not go to the house. He waited until the next day and went to Sheriff Downey, who accompanied him to the house. During the recovery operation the land owner told Downey she took the collar because the dog was trespassing. Sheriff Downey said, "Lady, dogs don't trespass and what you did was theft!" and included that she could be arrested if the hunter so chose to file charges. Needless to say, collar returned...lol.

Top Bottom