Morels: Identification for Newbies (lots of pics)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgt.porter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Deleware County
    So you want to hunt morels in Indiana, but you don't know where to begin. Or maybe you've already been looking for morels, but you're not real sure what to look for.
    The best place to start is identification.
    There are nearly 200 species of morels that grow in Indiana, but don't worry, most of these species are so similar that they can be broken down into a few groups, and all of them are safe to eat.
    Morels are the most popular wild mushroom worldwide simply because they are easy to identify and have no poisonous look-alikes. In fact, they are one of the very few wild mushrooms that are considered safe to identify through pictures alone. Although, if you have never been morel hunting, I encourage you to read my thread - False Morel Warning
    Although different in color, size, flavor and texture, all morels share a few characteristics. All morels have a white to yellowish stem leading to a spongy, pitted head. At first glance, you'll notice that morels do not have the umbrella shaped cap that most of the mushrooms and toadstools you are familiar with share. Upon picking a morel, you'll notice it has a hollow stem. if the stem is not hollow then you didn't read the false morel warning close enough.
    Most morel "experts" (I don't consider myself one) place all the species of morels into 3 groups. I find too many distinct differences so i place them in 8 groups.
    Black Morels
    picture.php

Black morels are the first to arrive each spring. They are usually found where other morels are not. Most hunters favor the black morel for it's abundance and strong flavor. They are normally found in large patches or "the mother load"
    Half Free Morel
    picture.php

Pepper top, snake head, spike, whatever you call them, the half free morel is the most commonly eaten simply because it sprouts up anywhere and everywhere. The flavor is a bit milder than the black morel but still delicious.
    Pepper tops start appearing about a week after black morels and continue "popping" throughout the morel season. The half free morel gets it's name because the head isn't fully attached to the stem like other morels.
    Yellow Morel
    picture.php

The yellow morel, or common morel is the morel you find when you procrastinate and begin your hunting after your friends have already found the mother load. They normally start popping just after the pepper tops.
    Giant Yellow Morel
    picture.php

Giant yellow morels are not simply older yellow morels, they are in a class of their own. Giant yellows tend to have the same season as yellows, but seem to grow in different areas. The flavor is just a little stronger and sweeter then a yellow. If you stumble across a good giant yellow patch, guard it with your life, but make sure you use up your bragging rights.
    Little Grey Morel
    picture.php

Little grey morels are just that, little and grey. They rarely reach more than 1 1/2" in height and almost seem like a waste to collect. That is, until you have a mess of them in the pan. If you find one little grey, brush the leaves around and keep looking. I often find 20 or better within a 10 ft area.
    Giant Grey Morel
    picture.php

Giant grey is in the 9 o'clock position. Every time i find a giant grey, I forget to take a pic in the wild. Some people argue that giant greys are just discolored giant yellows, but i notice one distinct difference between the two. Giant greys have a very thick and very sweet stem. I only know of one place to find them, but they come back in the same place every year.
    Late Morel
    picture.php

The late morel is the most under appreciated of all the morels. Mainly because it arrives so late in the season, normally 8 weeks or more after the black morels. All other morels have wasted away by the time the late morel starts popping. Though usually smaller, they taste alot like the yellow morels. The difference in appearance is that the head of a late morel is no wider than the stem and begins tapering to a point where it meets the stem. If you began collecting morels in mid April, a mid to late May morel hunt may be well worth your time.
    White Morel
    I've never taken a pic of a white morel. In fact, through 20 years of hunting, I've only found maybe 5 or 6. Rumor has it that white morels grow abundantly from Ontario northwards, but I don't know that for a fact. White morels are distinct in flavor as well as appearance. The flavor is very sweet and creamy almost like candy. The entire morel is a bright white with no color difference between the stem and the head. The stem is thick much like the giant grey. If you find more than 1 white morel in any given year, consider yourself lucky!

I hope this identification guide has provided at least the newcomer with essential information on the characteristics of morels found throughout Indiana. Soon I'll try to write up a guide on the how's, where's and why's of morel hunting.

Good luck and happy hunting :D

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I've tried hunting on several occasions... I just can't seem to get it figured out. I look, but I don't know if I'm just missing them, not looking in the right places.

My family never were mushroom hunters so I've never actually had somebody show me, and give me a hands-on lesson. Its just always been from reading and that's proven fruitless so far.

I've also never tried a morel, so I don't know if I'd even like them, but from what many say, I'm sure they're delicious.

sgt.porter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Deleware County
    I've tried hunting on several occasions... I just can't seem to get it figured out. I look, but I don't know if I'm just missing them, not looking in the right places.

My family never were mushroom hunters so I've never actually had somebody show me, and give me a hands-on lesson. Its just always been from reading and that's proven fruitless so far.

I've also never tried a morel, so I don't know if I'd even like them, but from what many say, I'm sure they're delicious.

Don't give up, you'll find your mushrooms. Now that you know what to look for. Tomorrow I plan on a write up of how to look for morels. I've read many guides just to see what "experts" have to say and for the most part I don't agree with them. Hopefully a different perspective on hunting the fruit of the gods will help you succeed.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    Great pics and info. I have been hunting mushrooms for years but I want to learn more about the edibles that grow on trees. I have found some monsters growing on trees but have never had the confidence to eat them or been with anyone to show meI have seen the big ones that looked like a brain. I have been told by more than one person that if it grows on a tree, it is edible. BUT I DONT KNOW
    Anyone have pic's of these???

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Now that you know what to look for.
    I always knew what to look for, but never could find them. A guide on where to look would likely help. I've heard under elm trees, but elm trees are pretty rare nowadays and I don't know where any are.

The only place I'd be able to look now would be in HNF up around Monroe Res.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Good pic's- it's helpful to see 'em in the wild, rather than on a plate. I seem to have "mushroom blindness", myself, but did find some "pheasant back" flat types last year on a dead tree, very tasty when small and tender. been watching for more.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    Good post, we started finding them down south last weekend. They werent on 100% I would say down there anyway, about 7-14 days pending weather of course

canamscott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    LaGrange County
    Here is the link to my segment on Outdoor Elements regarding finding and preparing morels. Enjoy and good hunting.
    Outdoor Elements

This next autumn I will try to get photos of the tasty fall fungus. I find a couple of them way tastier than morels.

Scott

M88A1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Bedford
    Neighbor took me out yesterday. We found half a plastic grocery bag full of what he called snake heads. Popped up in little patches kind of close to a small creak out back. He told us to soak them in salt water over night. Is this a normal thing to do?

sgt.porter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Deleware County
    Neighbor took me out yesterday. We found half a plastic grocery bag full of what he called snake heads. Popped up in little patches kind of close to a small creak out back. He told us to soak them in salt water over night. Is this a normal thing to do?

I don't salt them, I don't like salty mushrooms lol. All I do is dump them in a sink of cool fresh water to get some of the bugs out while I'm pulling them out to cut up and cook.

Top Bottom