• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I've been toying with the idea of going some sort of bird hunting, and was wondering if anyone down this way goes. Not even sure what's down here or what I'd want to hunt, but I think it could be fun and teach me some useful skills. Haven't shot a shotgun since I was 12 though, so I'd definitely need to get some practice in. Been hunting once in my life when I was 13 or so up in PA, and that is the extent of it.

:patriot:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Squirrel in any of the local State Forests or the Hoosier National Forrest. Man Date?

Never had squirrel, could be interesting lol. Where abouts have you gone before? I've never skinned/gutted anything besides fish too. What do you use to get em? Could give me an excuse to pick up a cheapie .22, been looking to get a little Marlin 60 :ar15:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I have never hunted squirrel in southern Indiana but I have hunted them up north. Squirrel aren't especially meaty, so you wouldn't feed the whole family on your bag limit. Finding fox squirrels helps, as they are noticeably larger than the common gray species. Not sure if there is a population of the fox species down south.

The state law regarding equipment for squirrels is either 2 or 3 paragraphs long. Short paragraphs at that. Slingshot up to .458 Win Mag. I have used a 20 ga. for squirrel. I know a guy who used a 16 ga, and have heard of people using 12 ga. I suppose with a relatively tight choke and a light shot charge, either might be fine. If anyone has any comments about the use of shotguns on squirrel, please speak up.

Of course the .22 is a fine choice and you don't have to pick lead shot out of your meal. I am sure that I could dig out an extra squirrel gun if you don't own a suitable one. Something about taking tree rats with an EBR seems a little.... unfair.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Yeah, I just can't picture myself stalking squirrel with my AR lol. .22 is a bit cheaper than .223 too lol, wee bit of a big hole also :)

I have never seen a gray squirrel around here, only the giant red ones. Last couple times I was in the HNF, I didn't see any either, but wasn't really looking all that hard.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Talking to a ranger can be a big help, particularly if they cover a "smaller" property. Finding a grove of nut trees is an obvious plan, and a ranger back home steered me to a great little area.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Talking to a ranger can be a big help, particularly if they cover a "smaller" property. Finding a grove of nut trees is an obvious plan, and a ranger back home steered me to a great little area.

Sounds good to me. I'm gonna swing by MCSports and a pawn shop tomorrow to see what kind of 22s they have in stock :)

ETA: Does Walmart here sell rifles?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Most guys down here pass up the fox squirrels in favor of the more tender greys. The greys normally favor the deeper woods with the reds hanging to the edges and lone trees in the open.

I call myself a hunter much more than I have been for the past few years. Been busy with work, family, other interests and such. (Lately some damned Internet forum has been sucking the life out of my work time.):):

I'm completely swamped 'til after Labor Day. After that, if you young educated fellows could tolerate a middle-aged, simple minded guy, I'd love to put my freshly acquired Appleseed skills to use.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I used to go out to Hoosier National when I was a student down there. Greys are not only further into the woods, they are more difficult to hunt. They tend to stir earlier in the morning than fox squirrels. A lot of the old guys would actually scout out a woods in the evening to see where the squirrels were cutting (look for pieces of fresh nut shells on the ground).Then get out there before daylight in the morning.

Almost forgot. I also did some grouse hunting down in the same woods back in those day. They should still have some out there.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I used to go out to Hoosier National when I was a student down there. Greys are not only further into the woods, they are more difficult to hunt. They tend to stir earlier in the morning than fox squirrels. A lot of the old guys would actually scout out a woods in the evening to see where the squirrels were cutting (look for pieces of fresh nut shells on the ground).Then get out there before daylight in the morning.

Almost forgot. I also did some grouse hunting down in the same woods back in those day. They should still have some out there.

Where abouts in the HNF if you don't mind. I've only ever been to a part about 14 miles south on 446.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Where abouts in the HNF if you don't mind. I've only ever been to a part about 14 miles south on 446.

Probably same general area. IIRC it was about 5-10 miles before you got to Monroe on 446. I would just travel a few miles up some of those dirt roads until I saw some good looking woods. There was also some very good fishing in some of the ponds out there. I bought some of those topo maps of the area and would use them to navigate. I did go closer to the reservoir sometimes. There were more grasslands in there. I had read there were supposed to be some quail in that region, but never did jump any, but that was pre bird dog days. There were also some deer out there. The wife about freaked out one time. She was tagging along while I was doing some grouse hunting and two young bucks ran within just a few feet of her. SHe thought she was going to be trampled. Of course I laughed hysterically.

I used to use a .22 for early squirrel hunting as you usually have to spot them sitting still as a rock up in a tree. Once leaves are down, I alwys used my 20 guage as I jump shot more of them as they were feeding on the ground. Use your ears when you are out in the woods. You will hear the nuts dropping long before you see the squirrel. Then very stealthily stalk into that area. You will often have to sit against a tree for half an hour (without moving or making any noise) before they will forget you are there and start moving again. Watch for their tails hanging over the big limbs.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Sorry for the double post. I remembered going past some sort of horse camp a few miles from where I parked. I usually parked near some fire tower for navigation purposes.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    You guys are in a good spot, the far NE and SE edges of the resovoir, where Blue Creek enters the lake are real hot spots for Grouse, crows, woodchucks, and deer (although there are ALOT of hunters there for gun season, Bow is relatively quiet).

South on 446 to Tower Ridge Road (East) does take you past the Horse Camp and the Fire tower, keep going East and North, until you need 4 wheel Drive, then park and walk in. You will be walking a 700 acres ection with the creek running on 3 sides of you, kinda hard to get lost in there. Mixed woods with corn/bean feilds on the edges, tons of birds and squirrel.

Or south of 46, (East of 446/46 Intersection), go south past the TC Steel State Park (try google Maps and this will make sense), and then South on Dewar Ridge Rd, to the boat landing, this is the same area, but on the North side of Blue Creek. Can walk or canoe in from this area, duck.goose,grouse, deer, squirrel coon.

Both areas are right on the water, with some serious hills surrounding. I usually canoe into that area, shoot the tree rats and retrieve from the water. Good luck. PM if you want futher details.

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    Sounds good to me. I'm gonna swing by MCSports and a pawn shop tomorrow to see what kind of 22s they have in stock :)

ETA: Does Walmart here sell rifles?

No guns at Wal-mart in Bloomington except for a few muzzle-loaders (saw them a week ago -- forget the brands -- $225-350 range). Knives, ammo, cleaning supplies, accessories, but that's it.

AFpilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    I shot my first gray squirrel not far from Bloomington quite about 15 years ago, but I've been back and filled my 5 shot limit in a day down there since. The edge of the Hoosier National is where we got them. Just get in before dark, sit somewhere (obviously look for the white oaks, etc..) and be patient. They wake up the woods they can be so loud. Started out shooting a single shot 20 ga. Since moved to a Rem Fieldmaster .22LR. I wouldn't support buying firearms from Walmart. You've got gun shops in your area, and there is always the WTB section on here. I've had good luck with Gunbroker.com also.

Good luck to you!

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Well, I think I'm gonna head out tomorrow to scout some area/maybe take a couple squirrel if I'm lucky :)

Thanks for all your help guys, and wish me luck! :-D

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Well, I think I'm gonna head out tomorrow to scout some area/maybe take a couple squirrel if I'm lucky :)

Thanks for all your help guys, and wish me luck! :-D

Let me know how it goes. I would like to learn some of those skills myself. I am banned from hunting by my wife, but if I were on a walk just to learn some skills... And I would have to go with a 22lr to learn those skills...

Oh, and rodent eradication is different than hunting.

If you know what I mean.:cool:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Let me know how it goes. I would like to learn some of those skills myself. I am banned from hunting by my wife, but if I were on a walk just to learn some skills... And I would have to go with a 22lr to learn those skills...

Oh, and rodent eradication is different than hunting.

If you know what I mean.:cool:

Absolutely :yesway:

I know a lot of people who are not anti-meat, but get uneasy about the idea of killing for it. I just explain the freshness, the skill it takes and the fact that squirrel is the second most hunted animal in the US (Next to rabbit). I hope I get some tomorrow though, I'd like to try a couple different recipes on them to see what I like best :rockwoot:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Well, no luck today. Saw a grand total of 3 Squirrels in 3 hours, all either far away or in the canopy of the trees and ran fast.. I think I'm going to try Hickory ridge rd tomorrow morning, I drove by and the trees looked much more squirrel friendly.

Overall though, I had a really great time. Learned my German Military surplus Flecktarn camo fits comfortably and the colors are right on for this time of year. Most Fridays, I wake up at Noon, and watch tv all day. Today I was outside all morning and had a blast :D

I really think I need to go with someone more experienced though lol

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Forgot to mention something. Last night, I went online to buy and print my hunting license at about 12:00. Well, I get to this one part, I hit next and it tells me I need to have taken a hunter safety course before I can buy one. They offer one online, so easy enough. A simple 75 (YES SEVENTY FIVE!) questions later and I had that done and could go to sleep to wake up early :rockwoot:

Top Bottom