• ...and so much more!
  • M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    2009_Buck_Resize.jpg

I took this buck with my .458 SOCOM at 7:35 AM on opening morning of the 2009 firearms season (he's my third largest buck to date.) With mega overtime at work this fall, my bow season was pretty uneventful -- I took a doe on opening day of archery season after being in my stand a whopping 2 minutes, and had a close encounter with a great Pope & Young buck on Halloween morning that just didn't quite work out the way I'd hoped (a deflected arrow which hit buck at very top of his back and only penetrated a couple of inches.) After 31 days of archery season, I finally figured out where the big boys were hanging out on this particular property that I hadn't hunted before, and stayed out of there until the firearms opener...

The shot was around 50-60 yards or so, and was a heart shot.

My .458 SOCOM:
    13006Rifle_Left.jpg

Some of this big boy's sign:

Rub_1_Resize.jpg

Rub.jpg

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    Do you ever get funny looks from the more "traditional" hunters with that thing?

That's quite a deer rig! :yesway:

I never get any strange looks...because I only hunt private properties that no one else is supposed to be on. That doesn't stop trespassers, but I never seem to run into any in person to show them my rifle. :D

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I never seem to run into any in person to show them my rifle. :D

I'm not a hunter myself, but I imagine that the more traditional 'wood and blued steel' guys would turn up their noses at such a 'new fangled contraption'. I like it.

crmguns

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Sullivan
    it seems like there are a lot more big bucks being harvested then there were a few years ago, I think Indiana has really improved its buck population since they only allow one buck a year not like before when you could kill one in bow season and one in firearms or muzzle loader season, anyway NICE BUCK CONGRATS!!!!

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    Nice Buck. Thats your 3rd largest? How big are your other 2?

The other two are 150-class 10-pointers. This 8-pointer should go in the 140's.

You and Clint seem to have the "big buck" market cornered.

What's funny is that Clint and I were texting back and forth when I shot this one. He'd just sent me a text telling me how a buck (the one he ended up killing) had busted him right at daylight as he was getting into shooting position, I replied, then my buck came sauntering along. After the shot, I informed Clint that I'd got one, and before I could get down out of the tree, Clint had already sent me two or three texts telling me to hurry up and go to it so he could know how good a buck it was. :D

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    What's funny is that Clint and I were texting back and forth when I shot this one. He'd just sent me a text telling me how a buck (the one he ended up killing) had busted him right at daylight as he was getting into shooting position, I replied, then my buck came sauntering along. After the shot, I informed Clint that I'd got one, and before I could get down out of the tree, Clint had already sent me two or three texts telling me to hurry up and go to it so he could know how good a buck it was. :D

Real time hunting reports from your buddies, this new age of technology is pretty funny.
    :laugh:

Top Bottom