• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So I spent the day in Brown County, and was kinda bummed that I don't have a $600 knife to beat up.

Then I got to thinking, "if I had a $600 knife, I wouldn't even know what to compare it to!"

So I took along my $35 Becker Necker (Ka-Bar) and made it do some stupid knife tricks. For more info on this knife, checkout A.G. Russell Knives | Ka-Bar® Becker Necker .

Now, this knife has been sitting in my safe since I bought it last year. I haven't cut a thing with it, so it's essentially new. It came with a length of black paracord to wrap the handle, but I wasn't feeling artsy (nor crafty) today, so I left it at home.

The included sheath covers the blade and doesn't do much else. It's large and leaves something to be desired. Friction is the only thing keeping it in place.

So I ventured out into the woods with my trusty Necker. I came across some recently split logs, so I decided to snap a glamor shot.

198mzm.jpg

So far so good.

Next, I wanted to try some 'batoning', like the cool knife guys do. Tyler34 showed me the proper technique at NFA Day, so I was eager to try it out myself. Keep in mind that this is a small knife, and would be comparable in size to a RAT Izula. I realize that this size knife isn't the best for batoning, but I still wanted to do it.

rkne6s.jpg

Not too shabby. The spine on the Necker is nice and beefy, and took the whacks well. It wasn't a 'hot knife through butter', but it finally did the deed.

Next, at the risk of totally mutilating the tip, I decided to drive it into the stump. I'm not sure why I wanted to do this, and I don't know exactly why I would need to do this in a survival situation, but it sounded like abuse, so I gave it a whirl. I took my 'batoning stick' and smacked the butt of the knife, driving it nicely into the log.

el2yd1.jpg

This was the part that probably surprised me the most. It drove in there REALLY easily. Getting it back out just took a few whacks in different directions on the handle.

Having done that, I spied a tree that appeared dangerous and threatening. Not wanting to take any chances, I decided to drive the knife through the tree entirely.

16hklrl.jpg

That worked well too, splitting it nicely up the middle.

34xqgys.jpg

After all the abuse, the blade still seemed sharp. The black coating stayed pretty well intact, with it rubbing off only on the edges of the spine. I treated it to a bath by tossing it into the creek.

2vnjnkx.jpg

This washed away all the debris off the blade, and made it look new again.

Now it looks like I've got a good 'baseline' to begin looking for a more "hard-use knife".

:ingo:

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    If they give me one of theirs, I'LL do it! (and post more pictures. . . ) :D

you know your more than welcome to take one of mine and use it whenever you want, and I won't even make you cut through the becker. becker neckers are great little knives and ethan becker is a great designer. BTW I got a good 6" jack of all trades swamp rat you might be able to get a deal on.;)

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    hey I should let you use my swamp rat swamp warden neck knife and compare the two. I don't recall how much the beckers are but my swamp warden was $60 so a relatively good comparison. and I'm dead serious about selling that other at a great price.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    hey I should let you use my swamp rat swamp warden neck knife and compare the two. I don't recall how much the beckers are but my swamp warden was $60 so a relatively good comparison. and I'm dead serious about selling that other at a great price.

Not that he needs it, but I can vouch for the deals he's offering some of his blades up for now.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    You're just inviting one of our resident blade studs to post a pic of their $600 unobtanium wonderknife cutting through a Becker Necker... :laugh:

I like Becker's designs as well, but to be honest, that was one of the first things I thought of when I saw that Necker stuck in the stump. The first thing was, "there's a stump in Brown Co, looks like Tyler's been there before Evan!" :D

ARdysfunction

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Indy West Side
    Great pics of you using your knife Evan. Using the knife you have no matter what type is way better than letting it sit in the safe.

The cutting Edge section keeps my interest much more than the most of the gun talk these days. I guess because I am learning something as opposed to hearing the same stuff I heard five years ago on another forum.

Take Tyler up on the Swamp Rat offer. I love mine. And I am quite sure it won’t be my last.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I won't post pics of my uber knives to make the guys drool but that looked like a hoot!

Oh wait! There is one in my avatar!!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Hey! Wasn't someone on here talking about Becker Neckers last year and about how awesome they are?

My Necker (the first Ka-Bar version I owned) did in fact get cut in half! I had some questions about the specimen I had because of some unusual results with sharpening and after some discussion with Ethan Becker about it, I sent it to Paul Tsujimoto, who is a senior engineer at Ka-Bar. He tested the knife and in doing so destroyed it (which was necessary). The conclusion was that the knife with "in spec."

And . . . Paul sent a brand new one to me. After my communications with him and Ethan, I have different expectations about the kind of edge I can get on the knife.

I couldn't ask for better customer service, and as noted, Ethan Becker knows his stuff. Paul Tsujimoto is also on the ball as well! Even if I didn't like their products as much as I do, I'd still recommend them because the people behind them are so cool.

I do wish they'd chosen to go with standard 1095 for the blade material, though. Those of you who have worked with 1095 know that with a proper heat treatment, you can get a wickedly sharp edge. Edge holding may not be on a par with some of the wondersteels or tool steels, but I'm more interested in how sharp I can get it. I don't mind sharpening or touching-up the edge frequently if the thing will slice the way I want it to slice.

Instead, they use a modified 1095 that has some vanadium added. If I asked about why, I don't recall the answer, but I would expect the vanadium to add some toughness, some wear resistance (related to edge holding) and maybe enhance some other qualities as well. The Becker tools need to be tough to withstand shock loads. Sometimes 1095 can be a little on the brittle side when make them really hard (the way I like it on small, thin-bladed pocket knives).

The downside (for me) is that I can get quite the edge I want with my chosen techniques. I'm not a stropper and I understand the Becker products respond very well to stropping after sharpeing with a medium grit abrasive. Paul and Ethan suggested that I not go too fine with the abrasives, then strop. Someday I'll give that a try because I don't doubt that they are correct. Given that, I prefer to use my diamond rods to get an edge that is thin enough to pop hair, but still toothy enough to slice well.

I suspect, and I could be wrong, that the vanadium affects the size of the carbides that are formed when the steel is hardened (larger than with straight 1095). I think that's why I'm not having much luck getting a thin enough edge that is strong enough to be useful. It's kind of like 440C. The carbides are too coarse to allow a really thing edge. That's why I'm not a fan of 440C for knife blades. It works great for thicker edge profiles and wear resistance/edge holding is good, but it's just not my thing. In that regard, I'd rather have 440A or 420HC (assuming good head treatments like Paul Bos would do) than 440C.

Sheesh! How did I get to here by just wanting to add a comment about the Becker Necker??

Top Bottom