• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    So from using the search function, I saw a lot of guys who do this. Today was the first time I've actually attempted the dry firing practice. I recently found out Friday Night that when I shoot, the bullet tends to go way under what I'm aiming at. I think I'm hitting the trigger too hard. But lovemywoods mentioned to me that I could be flinching, expecting the recoil. So as I was dry firing, I realized that's what I'm doing. I was surprised to see I flinch every time I dry fired my Glock. I'm currently looking in to some training courses. But in the meantime, is there any other techniques you guys can recommend so I can remedy my many problems, and get better?

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    An old Army training drill was to put a dime on top of the barrel on the M16 and snap the trigger without it falling off. Woudnt work too good on the Glock though!
    My Dad used to hand us the rifle on the bench without us knowing if there was a round in the chamber. That helped I think.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Things I've learned, take a deep breath an let about half of it out, keep
    putting pressure on the trigger , if you come off target hold the pressure
    on the trigger until you come back lined up an continue to put pressure
    on trigger until Bang! When you fire it should come as kind of a surprize
    otherwise you have probably flinched. Try putting the fat of your finger
    on the trigger an not between the inside where the knuckle bends. Pull the
    trigger rather than squeezing it. Hope I gotta this worded half way so someone
    can understand it...ha.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Let someone other than you load the gun with an unknown number of live rounds when at the range. Any movement will be evident when you pull the trigger on the empty chamber you thought was live.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Now when dry firing a Glock, you don't need dummy rounds, right? You can dry fire a Glock as much as you want, 'cause they're perfect?

I don't know about perfect, but it will not hurt them.:)

Also while dry firing the gun stay very focused on your sight picture and trigger control as these are some very important mechanics that will occupy your mind and this will help keep your flinch down.

Also ride the reset or "catch the link" rather than slap the trigger and that will give you mind more to do and perhaps help with this flinch.

Some good coaching during live fire will likely do you some good as well. Sometimes someone standing there talking in your ear makes a huge difference even if they are telling you things you already know. We all need reminded from time to time.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    For the flinching thing, try a cheapo Airsoft gun. The triggers are horrible, so that will help with trigger control, and you'll eventually train yourself to stop anticipating the recoil, since there isn't any. You'll learn to focus on the basics to hit your target. And with the cheapos, you'll have to concentrate plenty hard on the basics to hit that target!

Cathy has recurring issues with anticipating the recoil, and practice with the airsoft gun is how she cures herself. Same with her habit of slapping the trigger.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I don't know about perfect, but it will not hurt them.:)

Also while dry firing the gun stay very focused on your sight picture and trigger control as these are some very important mechanics that will occupy your mind and this will help keep your flinch down.

Also ride the reset or "catch the link" rather than slap the trigger and that will give you mind more to do and perhaps help with this flinch.

Some good coaching during live fire will likely do you some good as well. Sometimes someone standing there talking in your ear makes a huge difference even if they are telling you things you already know. We all need reminded from time to time.

VUPDBLUE was telling me to ride the reset. To me, this was a little difficult to do. I had never noticed that once I pressed in the trigger, I would take my finger right off the trigger.

I've already contacted Rhino, he told me about a class being held in May.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    VUPDBLUE was telling me to ride the reset. To me, this was a little difficult to do. I had never noticed that once I pressed in the trigger, I would take my finger right off the trigger.

I've already contacted Rhino, he told me about a class being held in May.

riding the rest will take some practice but it will come. IP 101 is what he recommended and I think we can help you with your issue.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Trigger control issues are a common reason for shooting low.

There are other common reasons, but we need to see you shooting to see what you're doing. One of the most common is taking your focus off of the front sight and looking at the target to see the holes before the bullet has actually exited the barrel. I refer to this as "admiring your own work."

I'd also be interested in learning what your sight picture looks like when you believe you have the sights aligned properly. Sometimes people with dots on their sights have trouble getting things aligned so that the gun is really pointed at the intended point of impact. At least in the early stages, it's best to try to ignore (or eliminate) those big white dots and try to focus on the top edge of the front sight, making sure the top edge and not the dots is aligned with the top of the rear sight (which will be out of focus and fuzzy). I usually see this problem with people shooting a little high, but I wouldn't rule it out for shooting low.

RVB should be along soon as well :D. He will correctly point out that what is sometimes perceived by others to be a "flinch" is actually a normal and necessary reaction for timing and managing the recoil of the gun when actually firing at a significant pace.

If it really is a flinch, I think some people can get some help from the tricks mentioned above (balancing something on the slide). Another method that has proven useful to me when helping others has been to get them to focus not just their eyes but their attention as well on the front sight where it belongs. A lot of people flinch because they are anticipating when the gun is going to fire. If you're not anticipating that event, you're less likely to flinch. Focusing your attention on something else can help quite a bit.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    If you've got a private range to practice on give this a try. Many times flinching comes from just over thinking it. Toss out a couple used shot gun shell 20 or 30 feet out. Start with the gun holstered and just draw the gun, fire and reholster each time between shots. Don't give it up the first few times if you miss, in 10 or 15 shots you'll be popping those all over the range and suddenly you notice you are not flinching any more. Don't rush it, just don't sit there studying it like a bulls eye turnamount. Draw, point, fire, reholster, repeat.

Top Bottom