• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    I hope they toss monsanto out on their ***. There is absolutely no reason you shouldn't be able to hold back seed from a patent stand point.

Now if there is a rider in a contract, that should be enforceable - but that is a contract breach not a patent breach, two VERY different things.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    I hope they toss monsanto out on their ***. There is absolutely no reason you shouldn't be able to hold back seed from a patent stand point.

Now if there is a rider in a contract, that should be enforceable - but that is a contract breach not a patent breach, two VERY different things.

He bought trash beans from the elevator. No contract on them.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Saw a documentary that talked about Monsanto suing the hell out of everyone because their beans had Monsanto's "patented" DNA. Farmer Bob uses Monsanto, Farmer Jim lives downwind of Bob. Cross pollination for the loss at Farmer Jim's house. The documentary said that something like 90% of the soybeans out there have at least traces of the Monsanto DNA, but the lawyers (and judges) don't speak plant biology, so the local farmers barely have a leg to stand on. I hope Monsanto gets their patent shoved right up their...um, silo.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    He bought trash beans from the elevator. No contract on them.

Agree. I should have been more clear - Monsanto keeps mixing patent and contract law to scare everyone.

It IS monsanto's right to build a contract that says if you buy my beans you can't save seed. But they are using the law and scaring people with patent infringement.

This man has 0, zilch, nada, duty to pay them anything. The grain elevator - maybe, but him, NOPE!
    Saw a documentary that talked about Monsanto suing the hell out of everyone because their beans had Monsanto's "patented" DNA. Farmer Bob uses Monsanto, Farmer Jim lives downwind of Bob. Cross pollination for the loss at Farmer Jim's house. The documentary said that something like 90% of the soybeans out there have at least traces of the Monsanto DNA, but the lawyers (and judges) don't speak plant biology, so the local farmers barely have a leg to stand on. I hope Monsanto gets their patent shoved right up their...um, silo.

This is what I see as half the problem. The next half is that eventually monsanto will own every soy bean in the world, quite unethically so. If they can prevent you from saving seed, then they would have to start controlling who you sell it to, and who they sell it to, and have their finger in ever part from plant to grind if they really want to protect their seeds... This would be impossible without strong arming from the law.

scatwater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    North East Indiana
    Monsanto has done this to our Canadaian farm neighbors with Canola seed and they destoryed India with another type of seed. Monsanto is a plague and I hope this farmer gets his day in court

Top Bottom