Thoughts, Comments, and Impressions on my BOB, GHB, SGHBs, etc.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I would have posted in This Thread but felt my post wouldn't have fit in with the discussion seeing as how I am posting about more than just a BOB. That being said, I will try my best to make a coherent post out of all of this, but in doing so I am guessing it will end up being a somewhat lengthy post... :):

I'm posting up the bags and preparations I have assembled, in hopes of receiving constructive criticisms/opinions on what I have put together, what I may have left out, what I could possibly replace to lighten up the system(s), and/or what I might remove from the system(s) altogether. It would also be nice to get some opinions on my thoughts listed below. (And it never hurts to spread some info, maybe this post will help someone with their preps.)

A little about myself and my thoughts:

I am a 28 years old, un-married, and have no kids. I live by myself near Speedway, and my girlfriend does not live with me. I have a full time job as a Sub-contractor and do not have a set work address (other than our wood shop, but that is a moo point). I work as far North as 146th street, as far East as Geist/McCordsville, and occasionally West near Avon. We don't have much work on the Southside, but that's not too important. My job presents a problem in that it's very possible I could be a good distance from my house in the event something were to happen.

When I first started gathering my supplies I didn't know what to prep for, or how to prep given my location. Speedway isn't exactly in the middle of nowhere, and I don't foresee myself needing to shack up in the woods for 3-4 days. I cant even think of a situation where I would need to hideout or camp in the woods (given the urban setting, a building would be a much more desirable choice anyways). The biggest threats I can think of are some form of natural disaster (A massive flood (although not very likely), tornadoes, earthquake, etc.), a political/economical uprising of some form (looting, riots, etc), and the obvious 2012 EOTWASWKI Celebration.

For the natural disasters, I would think I would only need the items necessary to get me to a friend or relative's house (provided the whole state isn't destroyed). So this kind of puts a nix on needing any kind of rations, tent, sleeping bag, etc. A natural disaster would be more of a huge inconvenience than a life or death survival scenario, in my opinion. If I'm laid up under a bunch of roof joists and shingles, having powdered milk in my BOB isn't going to do me a lot of good.

The political/economical riots, looting, etc is a little different. I would need to be in the position to GTFO of my house if something were to happen in my area. Even in this scenario, I would obviously try to get to and stay in my house for as long as possible as this is where my supplies are/would be. I still don't see where I would need to be in a 100% survival situation. Maybe a defend myself and my stuff situation, but not a flat-out survival situation.

As for the 2012 EOTWASWKI Celebration, your guess is as good as mine. For all we know, ancient Aztec aliens could show up bearing gifts of fruit and protein bars.

Using my job situation, with my thoughts and theories on the above, I have tried my best to take a lot of factors into consideration and plan my different bags/supplies/systems accordingly. I thought it best to go into this with a more "Urban" mindset. The following are what I have put together, and how I define/use them:

Everyday Carry (EDC)
    -I don't actually carry this bag on my back with me everywhere I go. This bag typically goes in the truck with me whenever I leave the house, and is my working bag. It has items that I could possibly need, and is also where I would use items from if they are needed. (i.e. using a band-aid from this as opposed to my GHB). I also take it with me if we take my girlfriend's car somewhere, etc. It gives me the ability to always have some EDC items with me (I don't usually carry a pocket knife, flashlight, etc when at work but always do when not at work). This is also somewhat geared as a Get-To-My-Truck bag.

Get Home Bag (GHB)
    -My GHB is geared around the thought it will take me a day (24hrs) to walk back to my house, and given I work all over town, it's very likely it will take me a few hours to get home (especially if my truck is rendered inoperable).

Secondary Get Home Bag (SGHB)
    -These are secondary to my main GHB. Basically, these are for any passengers I might have in my truck. They contain additional water, food, ponchos, FAKs etc that I wouldn't need if I were by myself, but also wouldn't make sense lugging in my main bag. It also gives me the ability to have them carry extra ammo and other supplemental items I don't need, but would be nice to have. At a minimum, I figured the nice thing to do is not leave my passengers completely stranded... :):

Bug Out Bag (BOB)
    -This is based off of the same urban-esque survival list as my GHB, and as such, is essentially just a glorified/more in-depth version for a longer survival period; 3-4 days as opposed to 1 day.

Truck (TBox)
    -This contains any items I might need for road-side fixes, getting back home, recovering a stuck vehicle, etc. It also gives me a place to store any other supplies/preps I might have. I am also in the process of adding compressors and an air tank for an on-board air system.

Ok, so hopefully you're still with me and haven't stopped reading. Now comes the fun part, breaking down each bag and listing its contents. Like I said above; I'm posting up what I have assembled, in hopes of receiving constructive criticisms/opinions on what I have put together, what I may have left out, what I could possibly replace to lighten up the system(s), and/or what I might remove from the system(s) altogether.

I will start out by noting my normal, everyday EDC items. These items go into my EDC bag when I go to work, but are on my person when not at work. Not pictured are my Oakley GasCans and 5.11 belt.
    -Glock 17 (147gr Federal HSTs)
    -Blackhawk! Serpa Holster
    -Spare Magazine in Fobus Pouch
    -SOG Trident Tanto
    -Gerber Mini Fast Draw
    -Quark 123^2 X Tactical (Deep carry clip, 17670 battery)
    -Fox Wallet
    -Michael Kors MK8161 Watch
    -HTC Evo
    -Orbit
    -Chapstick
    -Keys

430299_10150581727886851_507266850_9523217_932498830_n.jpg

My EDC Bag:
    Maxpedition Malaga
    Maxpedition EDC Pocket Organizer
    Condor Tactical GPS Pouch (FAK)

EDC.jpg

The 4Sevens Quark Turbo X rides clipped into the pouch on the front of the bag.

IMG_0384.JPG

Batteries, camera, bug spray, hand sanitizer, socks, phone chargers, etc are in the front pouch.

IMG_0385.JPG

The top pocket contains my gum, sunglass cloth, and my various pocket EDC items when I go to work.

IMG_0386.JPG

My first aid items are in the Condor GPS pouch on the left, with my other EDC type gadgetry in the Maxpedition EDC organizer. The other items, along with the two latter, go in the main compartment.

IMG_0387.JPG

A quick shot of the items stashed in the EDC organizer.

IMG_0388.JPG

My GHB:
    No name bag bought at the 1500

GHB.jpg

IMG_0404.JPG

IMG_0405.JPG

These items go in the upper, front compartment.

IMG_0406.JPG

These are the items from the lower, front compartment. My first aid items are all packed away in the sandwich container. It works well for a minimalist FAK.

IMG_0407.JPG

The water, Mainstay rations, and ponchos go in the center, main compartment.

IMG_0408.JPG

This all fits into the rear, main compartment. The grey bag towards the bottom contains the toiletry items. This is this same setup I use with the BOB, and there is a picture there.

IMG_0409.JPG

My SGHBs:
    LAPoliceGear Bail Out Bag Jr.

SGHB.jpg

IMG_0401.JPG

These items go in the various zipper pockets and pouches around the outside of the bag. You can see the shoulder strap still tucked in the left end pocket.

IMG_0402.JPG

All of this fits into the main compartment. It's like a game of Tetris, but it all fits. You can see another of my sandwich container FAKs on the right.

IMG_0403.JPG

My BOB:
    Source, Patrol 30
    Condor Tactical EMT Pouches (FAK, Fire/Batteries)

*This weighs in at about 40 pounds. I would really like to get the weight down, if possible. Ideas and suggestions are welcomed.*

BOB.jpg

IMG_0389.JPG

IMG_0390.JPG

The upper, front compartment.

IMG_0391.JPG

IMG_0396.JPG

The lower, front compartment.

IMG_0392.JPG

IMG_0397.JPG

A Condor Tactical EMT Pouch holds my fire starters, batteries, stakes, and other items on the side of the bag.

IMG_0393.JPG

IMG_0394.JPG

The FAK contents in the Condor Tactical EMT Pouch opposite the pictures above.

IMG_0395.JPG

All of the items from the main compartment. The magazines aren't pictured as they are in pouches attached to MOLLE webbing inside the compartment.

IMG_0398.JPG

Exploded view of the toiletries bag. This is the same setup that I have in my GHB.

IMG_0399.JPG

The ponchos tuck away in the rear pocket with the water bladder.

IMG_0400.JPG

My Truck Preps:

TBox.jpg

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab, Long Bed on 33s. :rockwoot:

306941_10150268469356851_507266850_8216073_8348624_n.jpg

The general layout of my truck items, it is currently in the process of being rearranged. You can see my GHB, custom AR rest, various other odds and ends, etc. The gas can was a last minute idea, as it was sitting on a shelf in the garage and I had the room for it. The red bag has extra work clothes in case I **** my pants again. For the record, my GHB and AR go inside the house every night.

IMG_0414.JPG

My Mil-Surp shovel, 6.75t shackles, Fiskars hatchet, Toughbuilt folding bolt cutters, and 3"x20' Smittybilt Recovery Strap.

IMG_0415.JPG

Showing the Toughbuilt folding bolt cutters.

IMG_0416.JPG

Directly under the tray are the fleece blankets, kept in a trash bag.

IMG_0418.JPG

Under the blankets are the 3 SGHBs and the 4 tarps. You can also see the grey bag that holds my ratchet straps, as well as the Tougbuilt bag that holds the jumper cables, FAK, red cyalume light sticks, tow strap, etc.

IMG_0419.JPG

The 16" Toughbuilt bag. You can fit quite a bit of stuff in this thing.

IMG_0420.JPG

Everything from the above bag, and much more room left for other items. The red, cloth napkin is used for loads that extend past the back of the truck.

IMG_0421.JPG

The Kobalt 227 piece tool kit (well worth the money) sits under the GHB, and the AR magazines are in Mil-Surp MOLLE pouches under the butt of the rifle.

IMG_0422.JPG

All of the bags together, for size reference:

IMG_0412.JPG

IMG_0413.JPG

If you made it this far, I applaud you. Thanks for reading and looking through my thread, and I will try and update this as I make changes. Please feel free to ask any questions, as well.

For those interested, Excel spreadsheets of the lists I have created are available below. Disregard the colored items, I have my own system for that, haha.
    BOB
    EDC
    GHB
    SGHB
    TBox

Last edited:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Better thought out than most. Better organized than mine. Here is what I saw with a quick glance:

Get a Quickclot pack for your first aid kit
    I didn't see a pair of regular back-up glasses, although I saw a few spare pairs of contacts
    A filter pen or similar small water filter
    Those 'biners don't LOOK load bearing, although they might be.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Better thought out than most. Better organized than mine. Here is what I saw with a quick glance:

Get a Quickclot pack for your first aid kit
    I didn't see a pair of regular back-up glasses, although I saw a few spare pairs of contacts
    A filter pen or similar small water filter
    Those 'biners don't LOOK load bearing, although they might be.
    Thanks, having everything in an Excel spreadsheet helps.

Quickclot is on the list, might get some at the 1500.
    I only have 1 pair of glasses, been meaning to get some cheap extras for the bags.
    Need to look into a water filter too, might look around at the 1500.
    The larger carabiners have a 240 pound WLL. Obviously I can double them up to get a 500 pound limit.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Yeah good boo boo kit, poor trauma kit, you need some compression bandages, and TQ's. What are your comms like? Have extra cell batteries ready to go. Small ht (see prior thread below) or at a minimum small radio.

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    great post the only think i would add is a civilian looking BOB to your inventory and add tourniquet, Quickclot pack , hemorrhage control compression bandages, need more bang for first aid .... but great start

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    i wish i knew how to post picture here.... lol :rolleyes: here is a example of my medical in one of my BOB ....i mirror a lot to a military combat medical inventory with this i can handle any major medical need hope this helps.

Imageshack - 1000068n.jpg

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    great post the only think i would add is a civilian looking BOB to your inventory and add tourniquet, Quickclot pack , hemorrhage control compression bandages, need more bang for first aid .... but great start
    The problem is fitting 40 pounds of **** into a 12 pound bag. I looked into other bags, and this one is the best I could find to fit what I was looking for. I could always throw it all into a duffle bag, but it probably wouldn't carry well. Also, if I am grabbing my BOB then there is a huge problem and it probably doesn't matter, especially if I am carrying a rifle. The GHB is a little more subdued in that it's black.

i wish i knew how to post picture here.... lol :rolleyes: here is a example of my medical in one of my BOB ....i mirror a lot to a military combat medical inventory with this i can handle any major medical need hope this helps.

Imageshack - 1000068n.jpg
    On ImageShack:
    Right click on the picture > Copy Image Location
    Paste the link between

1000068n.jpg

Would you want to PM me over a list of what all you have in that picture, and possibly the best place to buy? With the outcomes and realistic events that I discussed in my original post, it might be a little over kill, but it wouldn't hurt to look into and try and have some on hand.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    +1 on thinking through & organizing.

Thank you! I will be stealing your documentation for my own selfish purposes!

Seriously though, nice job. As has been noted, a few more additions will improve, but of course, I don't think these things ever get to a point of completion.

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    I agree with the above posts. You should add some more trauma supplies including tourniquets, Ouikclot and pressure bandages. You can never have enough medical stuff!

Great post! Definitely keeping up with this thread!

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    +1 on thinking through & organizing.

Thank you! I will be stealing your documentation for my own selfish purposes!

Seriously though, nice job. As has been noted, a few more additions will improve, but of course, I don't think these things ever get to a point of completion.
    Thanks.

I can send over the Excel spreadsheets, if you would like. It would save you from having to re-enter all the info.

Springer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Shelbyville
    I would like to get a copy of that spread sheet as well if you don't mind. I would make one suggestion, swap out one of the plastic water bottles for a metal one. This would allow you to boil water if needed. Or maybe I missed a metal bottle or cup some were in there, either way it is a very good set up.

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    I would make one suggestion, swap out one of the plastic water bottles for a metal one. This would allow you to boil water if needed. Or maybe I missed a metal bottle or cup some were in there, either way it is a very good set up.

funny you say that i keep all my venom energy drink container for water they work great

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I would like to get a copy of that spread sheet as well if you don't mind. I would make one suggestion, swap out one of the plastic water bottles for a metal one. This would allow you to boil water if needed. Or maybe I missed a metal bottle or cup some were in there, either way it is a very good set up.
    I will go ahead and upload them and have them available for download. Check back to the first post shortly.

The BOB has a canteen with cup and stove. The other bags do not as they are geared for a 24 hour period (but hopefully not needed for near that long), and also being in an urban setting water should be available just about anywhere.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I spent the entire afternoon Sunday putting my new system in order based on knowledge from this site. I felt pretty good about it. This kit is very well thought out (short comings noted in thread) and I have, once again, learned something. Great OP and info in the thread. Back to the list and off to the cool guy stores.

Top Bottom