• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Back in AUG 2011 I order a can of Instant NoFat Dry Milk from Emergency Essentials (See review here)
    Well I found another company that sells bulked food in #10 cans called Honeyville.
    MilkAlternative.jpg

Honeyville Foods :: Food Storage & Bakery Supplies Saw them mentioned here on INGO by someone else. The best thing about them is their flat shipping rate no matter what size your order is! Shipping is $4.49!

So I make 2 quarts if the stuff (8 cups water + 1 cups of powder) and guess what? This one did not pass the "milk test". :(

I gave each person in the household 2 small paper cups. One with miejer milk (2%) one with this milk. My daughter said it tasted like the skim milk and she did not care for it. My son how eats/drinks anything asked why the water was not clear. :n00b:

I'm not a big milk drinker myself. Can't stand the 1% stuff and think the 2% is still watered down. I do like whole milk but a gallon is way too much just for me before it spoils. More of a water drinker myself. But I have to agree with the kids this stuff just does not compare to milk. The other can from Emergency Essentials was much better!

In terms of nutritional info the dry milk is BETTER than the real milk!
    Vit A 10% for real 2% milk; 30% this stuff
    Vit D 25% for real 2% milk; 30% this stuff
    Calclium 30% for real 2% milk; 25% this stuff
    Vit C 2% in both

1 can will make ~ 26 quarts = 6.5 gallons which comes out to about $2.46 per gallon (not including the shipping).

I also have a box of Nido Instant Milk (http://www.amazon.com/Nestle-Nido-Instant-Whole-12-6oz/dp/B00032B982/ref=pd_sim_sbs_gro_5) that I will try out next month (perhaps) once we finish this can. Suspect the kids will like that one the best only because the sugar contents of Nido is the same as milk @ 12g whereas this powder only had 3g.

-Jedi

Last edited:

slackerisme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Just north of Ft. Wayne
    I think you may see the reason in the upper right hand corner of the photo. What you tested is not dry milk. It is dry fake milk. i would recommend a test against other fake milks, rather than real milk. Thanks for the review!

:rockwoot:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I think you may see the reason in the upper right hand corner of the photo. What you tested is not dry milk. It is dry fake milk. i would recommend a test against other fake milks, rather than real milk. Thanks for the review!

:rockwoot:

Yes I did notice that when I was looking at the can. Still never hurts to try as many possible brands/type before figuring out which one to buy in bulk for the family.

-Jedi

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    We have tried Morning Moo's Milk substitute from Augason Farms and have been pleased with it, and trust me, my wife is picky about food. They sell it on the www.augasonfarms.com website or you can order it even cheaper through Sam's Club.

If anyone lives around Lafayette, Four Guns carries this as well, which is where we were exposed to it in the first place.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the review.

Have you tried cooking with any of your previous milk substitutes?

I'd like to see what heat does to the product when involved in a recipe requiring milk.

The powdered stuff for nutrition, survival and shelf life is key. But being able to make a good alfredo sauce would be nice in a shtf setting. After all, we're not zombies yet.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thanks for the review.

I'd like to see what heat does to the product when involved in a recipe requiring milk.

The powdered stuff for nutrition, survival and shelf life is key. But being able to make a good alfredo sauce would be nice in a shtf setting. After all, we're not zombies yet.

No have not tried cooking yet. I don't have any more of the powder from Emergency Essentials. But I'll try using some of this and the NIDO for cooking. Although I don't think either will do/be any good for it. I have read reviews that the Emergency Essential on does hold up well with cooking but only read the reviews on their site so not fully sure I trust it.

Wonder if I can just "mini size" some cows like in that disney movie "honey I shrunk the kids". :D

-Jedi

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    We stock up on the Nido. Kids love it. Haven't tried anything else yet.

Jason

Where do you get Nido from?
    I have seen it at Wal-Mart only in the #10 cans but not all the time.
    I was able to pick up 3 small boxes on the clearance rack at the local food store around here. I asked if they carry it and the manager told me not any more and thus why those boxes were on clearance. :(

-Jedi

blurr95

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Where do you get Nido from?
    I have seen it at Wal-Mart only in the #10 cans but not all the time.
    I was able to pick up 3 small boxes on the clearance rack at the local food store around here. I asked if they carry it and the manager told me not any more and thus why those boxes were on clearance. :(

-Jedi

One of our local Wal marts carries it. They don't seem to have it all of the time. But do stock it frequently.

Jason

Hoosierbuck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    When drinking powdered milk I have learned these two things help:
    1) Mix it a little richer than the directions say.
    2) Get it good and cold.
    It won't taste just perfect, but that helps. My family drinks skim milk, and we can tolerate "camping milk" (powdered skim) just fine.

HB

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thanks for the review.

Yes, we have to have some creature comforts no matter what.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Thanks for the review.

We have used the Morning Moo as the substitute for milk in Hamburger Helper/Chicken Helper/Tuna Helper recipies. It tasted just as good as when we made it with regular milk, maybe slightly better/creamier. Can't really speak for alfredo sauce as I haven't tried that.

When drinking powdered milk I have learned these two things help:
    1) Mix it a little richer than the directions say.
    2) Get it good and cold.
    It won't taste just perfect, but that helps. My family drinks skim milk, and we can tolerate "camping milk" (powdered skim) just fine.

HB

Both of the above suggestions are excellent and will make it more palatable, especially if you are a picky eater.

Top Bottom