• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbeard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    Hey all. I've gotten pretty deep into PCC the last few months and learned quite a bit about the AR9 platform. Not all of it good. I know others are interested and some are even building things currently. What I want to share is with regards to stepped brass and PCC. My only experience is with the AR 9, so I can't attest to whether this is an issue with other platforms. Stepped brass is a known issue for PCC, and I believe open guns as well. If you don't know what stepped brass is. You can see pics here

The issue is that it will separate when you fire it. The bottom 1/2 will extract, and the top half will remain in the chamber. If you gun functions the way it should, the next round should not go into battery. This is annoying, but not overly dangerous. Unfortunately my PSA upper allowed the next round to fire out of battery. End result was a small explosion of grit and flames out the action and squib and many hours of frustration.

Today I had another separation while shooting my Taccom upper. It worked as it should and the next round failed to go into battery.

Do with this info as you will. I really don't want someone else to deal with gun issues or OOB if it can be avoided. I had no clue wtf stepped brass even was.

The stepped headstamps I find in my brass are FM, IMT, and ammoland. I'm just tossing them now when I inspect my loaded ammo.

Stepped.jpg OOB.jpg

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I have seen this be a problem a year ago at the range in rental guns.

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    I guess my question would be:

Are these cases just exceeding there lifespan?

I know my brass gets refreshed frequently and i never likely get to load them 3 maybe 4 times. But if you constantly reloading local match brass then it makes you wonder if it's not getting over worked? Especially with 9mm major.

I know you know what your doing. just makes me think this.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    In pistols at the range. They were reloads and the case would separate from the head completely and the case would be in the chamber. It seems there is increased pressure from the small area inside the case. We stopped buying the brand that used this case and the problem did not resurface.

This was not 9mm major.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I hate that brass... Every once in a while I'll catch one when I'm reloading, they look like a double charge. I imagine the same charge could pressure spike with the smaller case volume.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    That brass is made by a company in Lewiston, OR called Howell Munitions and it's the biggest POS brass ever made. The 3 cases I have found and thrown out is IMT, FM-Freedom Munitions crap and Ammoload.

While I have not had an issue with that brass, several people I know have had it separate and disable their PCC's.

One place that buys and resells brass recently scrapped over 3000 pounds of 9mm brass because it had a large about of that brass in it and the owner did not want to spend the time and money trying to separate it.

I don think that it's a case of it exceeding it's life span, the case design it's self is flawed. It's a one shot case.

That stuff should be banned from use on a range.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    There is some imported brass as well that is constructed the same way.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Brass was probably intended to be shot with a pistol (like USPSA).

I've see you shoot and drive. You should stick to neither.

I mean, how in the hell does someone with a V8 Stang take so long to pass a Saturn SUV with cripple plates going 5 miles under the speed limit? We thought you were gonna run out of real estate before you finally stuck the pass.

In case you are wondering, we were behind you yesterday on 135 after the match.

That long pedal on the right side makes the car go faster.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom