• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Paid $100, includes accessory kit and sling. Not too bad. In pretty good shape, too. There was one table with a pile of M44's for $70 but they were all beat to hell. There was another table selling decent ones, but they wanted $300. All in all, I'd say got a decent deal.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    So that's what was in the box! Looks good, and it'll be a lot nicer once you get all that cosmoline off! What year was yours made?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    So that's what was in the box! Looks good, and it'll be a lot nicer once you get all that cosmoline off! What year was yours made?

1944. Other than that, I know almost nothing about it. It has the importer's stamp and serial number on it, but the bolt and receiver appear to be original.

I would have let you get a closer look, but the group at the table broke up while I was buying ammo. By the time I was done, everyone was gone.

Sorry we had to cut out early. We had to rush the rest of the floor to get to a graduation this afternoon.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You know, the more I read about this rifle, the cooler it is. Just saying.

I wish I could find a history of this specific serial number. I'd like to know if it was ever issued or if it sat in a crate in a supply warehouse for 60 years. I know it was built in 1944 in Izhevsk, but by then the war in Russia was all but over.

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    That's about as cheap as you can get one w/o a C&R License.

It looks good. If it has a triangle with an arrow it's an Ishevsk or "izzy", if it has a star with arrow it's a Tula (more collectable).

The 44's and other war years saw a lot of action.
    If the stock or receiver has a square with a diagonal line it's been refurbished. check the crown of the bore with a flash light, if it has a step in it it's been counterbored (not a bad thing).

Lots of info here: 7.62x54r.net

Be prepared for some "Solid" recoil, especially with the 200 grain ammo.
    I have 5 mosins
    1 - 1933 91/30
    1 - 1946 M44
    3 - 1943 M38's

They are great rifles and lots of fun to shoot.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    That's about as cheap as you can get one w/o a C&R License.

It looks good. If it has a triangle with an arrow it's an Ishevsk or "izzy", if it has a star with arrow it's a Tula (more collectable).

The 44's and other war years saw a lot of action.
    If the stock or receiver has a square with a diagonal line it's been refurbished. check the crown of the bore with a flash light, if it has a step in it it's been counterbored (not a bad thing).

Lots of info here: 7.62x54r.net

Be prepared for some "Solid" recoil, especially with the 200 grain ammo.
    I have 5 mosins
    1 - 1933 91/30
    1 - 1946 M44
    3 - 1943 M38's

They are great rifles and lots of fun to shoot.

It's definitely an Ishevsk. The receiver/barrel has been refurbished, but the bolt, butt, and receiver serial numbers all match. I do not believe it was counterbored. That said, it appears to be in great condition. The wood is in good shape with no signification scoring or abrasions. Some of the shellac on the buttstock is worn, but it still appears to be protecting the wood. The action is smooth and there is no evidence of rust. The bolt is clean and undamaged.

I don't claim to be an expert, but from what I can tell, it's in pretty decent shape and I'm pleased with the price I paid. I'm not overly concerned with the collectability. After all, I didn't buy it to hang on a wall, but the history fascinates me.

Would you happen to know a competent gunsmith in the area that can inspect it? I want to get the headspace checked (and other areas that I am not competent to evaluate) before I do anything with it.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Weird reversed N P5261

"И" (the letter izhe, pronounced "ee" like the "i" in "machine")

Mine is ГP4998 (the Г is the letter ge and is pronounced like the "g" in "go")

The "P" (the letter er) is pronounced like a rolling "r" (also called an alveolar trill). It's not pronounced like an english "p".

I don't know how they did their numbering system, but perhaps they were manufactured by the same workers.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Just a bit of trivia, that "weird backwards N" is pronounced "ee" and a Cyrillic "P" is pronounced like our "R".

I didn't study Russian, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I took an interest in the Russian alphabet a while back after watching "The Hunt for Red October". :dunno:

And just to stay a little on topic, I'm kinda interested in getting a Mosin myself. Karl, how do the ones at AIM Surplus look? I have a C&R, so can order, but I just have this odd feeling that barring SHTF, it would likely never really get much use. Are the M38s or the 91/30s better on recoil than the M44s?

Blessings,
    B

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    Yeah hell I barely have a grasp of the English language! Trying to get me to deal with Russian? Forget it!

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Just a bit of trivia, that "weird backwards N" is pronounced "ee" and a Cyrillic "P" is pronounced like our "R".

I didn't study Russian, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I took an interest in the Russian alphabet a while back after watching "The Hunt for Red October". :dunno:

And just to stay a little on topic, I'm kinda interested in getting a Mosin myself. Karl, how do the ones at AIM Surplus look? I have a C&R, so can order, but I just have this odd feeling that barring SHTF, it would likely never really get much use. Are the M38s or the 91/30s better on recoil than the M44s?

Blessings,
    B

The last 2 I ordered from AIM (M44's) weren't that great.
    Sent the first one back (missing trigger pin) the one I received to replace it was ok.
    Both were 1944 izzy's and counterbored.

I got an M38 from SOG a Month ago for my son's 15th in July.
    Did a hand pick for matching numbers, correct stock, nice bore, etc.
    $89 + $10 handpick + $10 shipping $109 total
    Got a beautiful M38 with correct stock all matching.

Not as nice as my 43 with correct laminated stock but very nice.
    It will make a great first rifle.

The 91/30 have less recoil then the M44 or M38's just due to size and weight. They are a little more accurate due to the longer barrel.
    If you shoot 200grn ammo expect more recoil.

Remember the Ruskies are Real Men and don't notice recoil.;)

I like the Hex receiver 91/30's, mine is a 1933.
    My M44 is a 1946 and is a little nicer than the War year production.
    With my son's rifle I'm up to 3 M38's all 43's.
    I kept 2 original (They had the correct stocks) and sporterized one (M44 stock)

M38Scout-02-1.jpg

Mosin's are about the best deal around for a rifle $70-$100 will get you a very good, if Ugly, rifle with a hard hitting cartridge (On both ends).

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    It's definitely an Ishevsk. The receiver/barrel has been refurbished, but the bolt, butt, and receiver serial numbers all match. I do not believe it was counterbored. That said, it appears to be in great condition. The wood is in good shape with no signification scoring or abrasions. Some of the shellac on the buttstock is worn, but it still appears to be protecting the wood. The action is smooth and there is no evidence of rust. The bolt is clean and undamaged.

I don't claim to be an expert, but from what I can tell, it's in pretty decent shape and I'm pleased with the price I paid. I'm not overly concerned with the collectability. After all, I didn't buy it to hang on a wall, but the history fascinates me.

Would you happen to know a competent gunsmith in the area that can inspect it? I want to get the headspace checked (and other areas that I am not competent to evaluate) before I do anything with it.

If the numbers match, I wouldn't worry too much about having it checked.
    I've never had mine inspected and they all shoot fine.

You really only need to have it checked if the numbers on the bolt head and receiver don't match.

That's Just My Opinion, I put the same disclaimers on my receipts when I sell a C&R gun as AIM or SOG.
    " Have it checked by a competent gunsmith....."
    CYA my Friend CYA.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The 44's are nice you can flip out the bayonet and roast hotdogs while you shoot!:rockwoot:

From what I've read, they're designed to shoot with the bayonet deployed. I think the hotdogs, on the other hand, might interfere with the ballistics. :):

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    I bought an M91/30 at the last 1500.
    I haven't done anything with it yet, seems like there just isn't enough time to get to the range anymore!!!! :xmad:
    I have since tried to order an M1 Garand. (every time I have enough money my wife helps me spend too much)
    I did some trading and got a Savage .223 bolt action with Savage's accutrigger.

Top Bottom